Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Veggie brands vs. Mainstream Brand

• 15-09-2020 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Over time, but particularly it seems in the past couple years, I've noticed more and more bigger, or mainstream brands launching veg*n alternatives. For the most part, I've stuck to tried and trusted ranges, Linda McCarney sausages are a permanent fixture in my freezer, for example.

Though I just wonder, with Denny's now selling veggie sausages, Birds Eye launching a big range ... even Supermarkets themselves massively broadening their lines, I wonder, how buying habits may have changed in this time?

Have people jumped to these bigger, and quite often more cost effective brands .. or do people still stick to picking out veggie brands, seeing what is left in of the "Amy's" range at the health food store, that type of thing?

Maybe even this greater accessibility of foods has helped you or someone you know to transition away from animal products?

So, while I do stick 95% to my old ways, I wonder, how has the mainstream pickup of veggie products affected your buying habits? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There's been a few changes to my shopping habits alright. I'm buying more of the Denny sausages and not so much of the LMC. The Denny are a far nicer sausage imho and my kids will eat them.

I have tended to do most of my shopping in Aldi but since Lidl seem to be the only place doing a decent vegan coleslaw I shop there most of the time now. Iceland are another shop that benefit from my custom thanks to their No Bull range. Basically if a shop supports vegans with an increased range of products I will tend to shop there out of convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

eviltwin wrote: »
    There's been a few changes to my shopping habits alright. I'm buying more of the Denny sausages and not so much of the LMC. The Denny are a far nicer sausage imho and my kids will eat them.

I have tended to do most of my shopping in Aldi but since Lidl seem to be the only place doing a decent vegan coleslaw I shop there most of the time now. Iceland are another shop that benefit from my custom thanks to their No Bull range. Basically if a shop supports vegans with an increased range of products I will tend to shop there out of convenience.

I never knew Lidl had a vegan coleslaw. Must grab one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I never knew Lidl had a vegan coleslaw. Must grab one.

It's lovely - definitely try it!!

I generally will try anything new that comes out if I see it instore and change my buying habits accordingly if I find something nicer! For example I loved the LMC sausages and always bought them until they changed the recipe which I agree with for the reasons they did it but the taste/flavour really suffered imo - so no have switched to the denny or green isle sausages when I fancy some!!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

I've still not seen the Lidl coleslaw in stock, but I really want to try it too! If it's even half as good as the M&S one, it'll be a winner for me :)

I think, for the Denny's sausages thing .. they could be for sure the best ones around, but I guess ... for a long time people would say "Oh but don't you miss Denny's sausages?" (or other 'familiar' things) and I'd always say no to that, so maybe there is like a 'learned avoidance' ... though if LMC ever upped the prices, I'm sure this could all change :D

Iceland are really amazing for all the offer now too, and I guess, with that or with Denny's or the like, I guess supporting these newer products is 'voting with our Euros' in a way, so probably they are all worthy of supporting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So I got the Aldi fake burgers/chicken burgers, both are quite good especially just the normal burgers.
    Has anyone noticed they're always sold out everywhere? Like even Denny veggie sausages/burgers? Was in Aldi twice in last few days and no veg burgers. The Beyond burgers in Tesco are always sold out, I've yet to see them, only the label where they should be. Denny Sausages are always gone in Tesco and Dunnes near me.
    I wonder if it's because they're really popular or they just don't buy much in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

So I got the Aldi fake burgers/chicken burgers, both are quite good especially just the normal burgers.
    Has anyone noticed they're always sold out everywhere? Like even Denny veggie sausages/burgers? Was in Aldi twice in last few days and no veg burgers. The Beyond burgers in Tesco are always sold out, I've yet to see them, only the label where they should be. Denny Sausages are always gone in Tesco and Dunnes near me.

I've never had an issue in my Tesco (Merrion, Dublin) getting Dennys burgers or sausages, Beyond Burgers, Birds Eye frozen goodness and Clonakilty pudding. I have noticed that this Tesco now put the Denny sausages, burgers and Clon pudding among the general section of butchered pig parts which is good to see that they have a legitimate place as an alternative to the dead pig bits.

It’s hit and miss in my local Aldi - Blanchardstown. According to the staff they were not expecting a huge demand so they don’t stock much and they just fly off the shelves. They were only ever meant to be a summer product but they’ve kept them which is a great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭65535

Aldi 'Fingerless Fish'
    great with some home made tartar sauce using vegan mayo.

Edit: Yes, it should read 'Fishless Fingers' !

65535 wrote: »
    Aldi 'Fingerless Fish'

Taste and texture is surprisingly authentic too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

65535 wrote: »
    Aldi 'Fingerless Fish'

Surely that is a complete mis sell from Aldi, they could the sued for that

Shouldn’t it be fish less fingers?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't think that there is any trademark on any name like that !

Anyhoo have a look !

https://www.aldipresscentre.co.uk/product-news/aldi-launches-new-award-winning-vegan-range-from-99p/

2020-11-04-23-51-26.jpg

2020-11-04-23-51-36.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Little bratts from the wicked kitchen are far and above all other sausages ATM IMO. I just wish they made them in a "jumbo bratt".

I am just loving all the new products that are available on mainstream shelves. It gives such great choice for people who want to reduce their meat and dairy intake for whatever reason. I am always finding the shelves empty here (Waterford) and sometimes I'll go to 3 different tescos just to get my Bratt fix LOL.

Local aldi is nearly always sold out of the burgers (spicy chicken... drool) Wicked kitchen jalapeno burgers also tasty af too.

Big fan of the Denny range too. The Lidl sausages are also pretty good, flavour is on point but texture and look.... 6/10.

As an aside, I'd just like to say thanks for the extra mod work on the forum. I had pretty much given up on the site for V & V because of the constant derailing of threads. It is very much appreciated. Thank you.

ElKavo wrote: »
    As an aside, I'd just like to say thanks for the extra mod work on the forum. I had pretty much given up on the site for V & V because of the constant derailing of threads. It is very much appreciated. Thank you.

I wonder how many more like yourself drifted away from the forum. Would be great if they could all come back.

Hopefully a new moderator and a new charter will allow people to discuss more freely without the constant closing down and derailing as happened previously.

I know I’m waiting to see before I start any new threads or discussions.

Dunnes Stores have brought out a new range of ready meals - all vegan

Onion bhaji bento box
    Taco loaded wedges
    Lentil and vegetable bolognese
    Chickpea and edamame balti curry
    Vegetable thai curry
    Beetroot burger
    Sausages and Quarter pounders - very like the Denny's ones

All we need now is a few more dessert options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

The OH bought the Tesco vegan burger to try and it was surprisingly good. Decent flavour and the texture is nice. Cheaper than the Lidl one too but it's much better. It's very fatty though but it cooks alright in the air fryer. Anyone else tried it?

Also want to give my thanks to the mods. The atmosphere is improving in here and hopefully we can get a little bit more open discussion going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The tesco dahl and other veggie pots are gorgeous and really cheap

The tesco dahl and other veggie pots are gorgeous and really cheap

Really looking forward to my next visit home.

It’s really hard to fathom how much it’s kicking off with all the mainstream vegan food available.

There’s been such a huge shift and even here in Australia it’s fantastic to see aisles and freezer sections totally dedicated to vegan options.

Really looking forward to that Dunnes vegan cheese I’ve seen on the other thread. Family and friends raving about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

I recently tried the 'Dunnes Stores Meat Free Quarter Pounder Burgers'. I grilled them. Delicious with ketchup. 😋🍔

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

I tried the 'Birds Eye Green Cuisine Chicken-Free Southern Fried Strips' recently. Fantastic. The spices in the coating is excellent.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Those are great, and were only €1.75 on sale!

• Advertisement

Tesco Vegan Mince Pies.
    Like the 'normal' ones but without the heartburn !

2020-11-12-20-09-36-Copy.jpg

2020-11-12-20-09-46-Copy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Worztron wrote: »
    I tried the 'Birds Eye Green Cuisine Chicken-Free Southern Fried Strips' recently. Fantastic. The spices in the coating is excellent.

Had them recently. Amazing.

Had it in a roll with lettuce, tomato and vegan mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Mostly I have stuck with Quorn and Linda McCartney. But recently Quorn has become so difficult to find at times - several weeks where the mince is not available, and the fishless fingers seem to be gone altogether, it's extremely frustrating. So I have tried the Green Cuisine and Denny stuff recently because of that. I'm 100% reliant on online shopping now though, so it has to be available in Tesco or SV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Has anybody seen the Linda McCartney shredded hoisin 'duck' pieces anywhere?? I haven't seen it for aaages, it's still on the website but I don't see it in stock in any supermarkets I've been to.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Has anybody seen the Linda McCartney shredded hoisin 'duck' pieces anywhere?? I haven't seen it for aaages, it's still on the website but I don't see it in stock in any supermarkets I've been to.

Not seen it in ages alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Had a Linda McCartney burger for first time in years, very nice. Nicer than the Denny one's imo, they're just too thick. Denny's sausages still the nicest though. Choice has improved so much since my early days of sosmix.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Had a Linda McCartney burger for first time in years, very nice. Nicer than the Denny one's imo, they're just too thick. Denny's sausages still the nicest though. Choice has improved so much since my early days of sosmix.

Linda Mc “pulled pork burger” is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Linda Mc “pulled pork burger” is lovely.

Haven't seen those, must keep an eye out.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Haven't seen those, must keep an eye out.

I think it’s the nicest of the lot. Ad some vegan Mayo, onions, jalapeños & rocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH-cYdKppVA/?hl=en

20 new products launching in Tesco. Now that is UK but usually they end up over here to

Advertisement