Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thermal garage doors

• 15-09-2019 5:47pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to turn the garage into a useable workshop instead of a dumping ground. It's got a metal roller door that lets *all* the heat out. Are the sectional garage doors any use at keeping heat in?
    I'd rather keep the garage door for getting stuff in and out rather than convert it into a spare room like most of the neighbours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The simple, better thermal solution is to put a set of well fitting doors behind the roller
    Am presuming it rolls up into cassette

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The current one rolls up alright, probably takes up about 50cm of space

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

If you're dead set on replacement rather than Calahonda52's suggestion (which I'd second by the way) then this chap in Nenagh can give you a quote for an insulated replacement door that would fit in the same space: http://www.premiergaragedoors.ie/ (he's quick and efficient - did a door for us a few years back).

I'm sure you're already aware that an insulated roll-up will never have the same level of insulation as solid doors or even an insulated stud wall with a personnel door in it, which some people do when they know they're not going to use the garage doors for access for several years or more.

Keith Brown recently did the wall approach for his workshop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blBkXJI8H1U

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Cheers. It's not a huge garage, so losing the space might be a bit much, but I'll measure out the distance and see how i feel about it.
    I'd spotted premier online alright, and their thermal sectional doors look interesting (slide up and over rather than proper rolly)

Advertisement