Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New House owner with existing HKC system - and very confused

• 05-09-2019 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

Hope someone can help me here. I recently bought a house that had already a monitored alarm system installed (HKC as far as I can see, this is the brand on the panic buttons) - I also got the code from the previous owner and they now cancelled their contract with the company who monitored it.

.. now I called the number from the company who services the alarm to find out what to do with the alarm.. do I keep it? do I remove it? I also got a quote from Phonewatch (but I mean, I already have a system installed, don't want double alarm systems and wiring...)

My main requirement for the alarm system is that I'd want it accessible via app and being able to activate/deactivate there.

The guy/company who maintained the current system for the previous owner said it will cost 600 to upgrade the alarm to allow access on mobile. And 8Euros to download the app. Then there is a 60 Eur Sim Card Maintenance cost. (And I assume on top of that the Service fee for the guy which he told me before was around 150 Eur and the monitoring fee of the company which was like 180Eur, but I asked to clarify that - waiting for reply)

I never had anything to do with alarm systems before, I do want one but I feel a bit confused and overwhelmed by the options. What do I do? Do I stick with the alarm system I have and get it upgraded? And if not, if I switch,... does the service guy have to remove my current installation? Any advise on things I should look up or be aware of? Really appreciate any guidance or help I can get!

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Donnacha_

If it is the older version of HKC like the 8/12 Then you can get a gsm to suit with a prepay sim and use the text commands to control the system. the HKC app however requires the newer panel 1070 -10270 . HKC do charge for the world sim fitted in the GSM unit as well as the 8euro for the app.You dont have to connect to a monitoring company if you dont want too. I would however get the engineer code off the company who maintained it as you will need it if you switch to someone else. 600 euro to upgrade is very steep and i would advise looking elsewhere

Advertisement