Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Precaution

• 26-08-2019 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

So i,m deciding on leaving my boat in the water over the winter . what Precautions do i need to take concerning the engine a Perkins 4.108 diesel .

cheers & thanks in advance .

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I kept mine afloat last winter (albeit a very mild winter), but I went down and started the engine at least twice a week all winter and ran it for about 30 minutes.

Engine is a Volvo Penta 2002 (18hp)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭seaking

cheers andy ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

The boat is located on the shannon right? Fresh water is colder than seawater in Ireland.

My preference is for lifting the boat on the Shannon due to cold and flooding risks. Mind you our boat nearly floated off its chocks one year as the flooding was so bad, but I digress.

- First of all you need to ensure that you have the correct anti-freeze mix in your engine coolant circuit (via header tank).

- Then you need to drain down your domestic water circuit.

- The year we got caught in the water and had to remain in all year (due to ice - then flooding) we poured antifreeze down the raw water strainer and ran the engine until antifreeze came out the exhaust. This protected the raw water circuit but still the seacock on the strainer still burst and I had to take it off and get it repaired. When the boat comes out we run the engine dry to ensure little water remains in the raw water circuit. Some people take out the impeller to drain any residual water in the heat exchanger.

Edit: check your insurance - it might not cover you to remain afloat in the winter - ours doesn't.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I have some Hylite Slimline Eco Heaters in my bilge that are controlled by a thermostat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Acquired

Hello, everyone.

First time posting here.

I am about to purchase a cabin cruiser, and I would like to know how I go about
    finding out if there are any outstanding loans/mooring fees logged against same.

Thanks, in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Acquired wrote: »
    Hello, everyone.

First time posting here.

I am about to purchase a cabin cruiser, and I would like to know how I go about
    finding out if there are any outstanding loans/mooring fees logged against same.

Thanks, in advance.

Hi and welcome, It might be worth posting your own thread on this you may get more replies, It would be very hard to find out if there are any loans outstanding it's very hard to get a mortgage for a boat these days, marinas would probably not let a boat leave if fees are owed so just talk to the owner of the marina, if your worried buy from a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭nokiatom

Insurance???

Advertisement