Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is it hard to get involuntarily committed into a mental hospital in Ireland?

Options
  • 19-07-2019 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Compared to the States? I'm fine now but was once in SJOG. Family wanted me to go back a year later along with G.P. but was told that they couldn't for some reason.

I have a friend who lives in L.A. and it seems there that the mental health situation is here but towards the other extreme. She made a suicide attempt and told someone about it. The police were called to her house and forcefully brought her to A&E where she was then transferred to the mental unit and left with a hefty bill. The only time I've heard the police ever get involved in mental health in Ireland is when someone was suffering from an episode of drug psychosis and posed a risk to others.

Could it also be litigation? knowing the American medical system, it doesn't seem to be altruism but rather a fear from law enforcement and hospitals of getting sued by family members.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

The system was overhauled in 2001 because the laws were archaic and there was a need to avoid situations where people were involuntarily admitted without independent and regular review.

The standard for involuntary admission I think is reasonable and depriving someone of their liberty should only be undertaken where other avenues are risky.

In terms of psychosis, plenty of people are not involuntarily admitted (home care teams and first episode psychosis/community mental health nurses can often monitor these cases closely).

Advertisement