Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Massey Ferguson 290 pto

Options
  • 17-06-2019 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I have a massey ferguson 290 with a pto that won't stop spinning. The pto used to do this sometimes when cold but would stop within 5 seconds of tractor starting. Had it on a shaker the last day and shaker wouldn't stop ( got some funny looks going down the road :-)' ). Wondering what's wrong with it and how to fix it . The pto has no real power when turned of as it can be stopped if pushed forcefully with a stick.
    Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Joe390

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭emaherx

PTO brake is gone or else poor hydraulic pressure. I assume you have changed all filters?

Removing clutch pack involves splitting tractor and removing top cover.

emaherx wrote: »
    PTO brake is gone or else poor hydraulic pressure. I assume you have changed all filters?

Removing clutch pack involves splitting tractor and removing top cover.

Haven't changed any filters , where are the hydraulic filters located. Also can the brake be changed without splitting the tractor or removing the cab of the tractor.
    Thanks .

Joe390 wrote: »
    Haven't changed any filters , where are the hydraulic filters located. Also can the brake be changed without splitting the tractor or removing the cab of the tractor.
    Thanks .

Filter is under backed. 3 bolts and a round plate hold it in place. You need to drain oil to remove it (or possibly Jack back of tractor off the ground)

I think it's most likely a tractor splitting exercise, it may be possible to replace some parts through the side but I'd suspect the whole clutch pack needs an overhaul at this stage.

Filter is under backed. 3 bolts and a round plate hold it in place. You need to drain oil to remove it (or possibly Jack back of tractor off the ground)

I think it's most likely a tractor splitting exercise, it may be possible to replace some parts through the side but I'd suspect the whole clutch pack needs an overhaul at this stage.

Thanks there is like a canister shape with 3 bolts .
    Is there a clutch pack in this tractor as you don't need to press the clutch to engage pto. Heard before that it's engages by oil or something . Don't know though.

• Advertisement

Joe390 wrote: »
    Thanks there is like a canister shape with 3 bolts .
    Is there a clutch pack in this tractor as you don't need to press the clutch to engage pto. Heard before that it's engages by oil or something . Don't know though.

Yes that's the filter.

Yes the clutch pack is worked by oil and is completely independent and separate from tractors transmission clutch.

It's not a 290 but clutch pack is similar
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SZfn_9KYbMw&t=41s

Yes that's the filter.

Yes the clutch pack is worked by oil and is completely independent and separate from tractors transmission clutch.

It's not a 290 but clutch pack is similar
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SZfn_9KYbMw&t=41s

Heard of some people leaving pto engaged all the time in these tractors letting the pto spin away under the cover. They reconed it saved the brake wearing . Is this true and was there ever any side effects.
    If I leave this the way it is will it do anymore damage . It is always covered by a guard so nothing can get caught up in it. Might do it in a few years as Engine will probably need doing in a few years as it's nearing 11000 hours even though it is still pulling strong with minimal oil consumption . And it might be easier do everything together when split.

Advertisement