Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tips on removal of Phonewatch and install of standard security system

• 28-12-2018 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, looking for some advice on alarm setup. I have bought a house and inherited their phonewatch setup.
    I have nothing against it but I don't want to be paying for phone line rental and monitoring from Phonewatch.
    I just want a simple alarm setup with contacts on doors and windows and an unmonitored alarm that goes off and wakes the dead.
    Any tips? Can the contacts that were installed for Phonewatch be repurposed for the non phonewatch solution?
    I probably won't install it myself, but any advice on a company that will do the work, Dublin based? Or better again, can the whole phonewatch system be used unmonitored, with no phone line? ie. alarm will just go off as any basic alarm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,637 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi lads, looking for some advice on alarm setup. I have bought a house and inherited their phonewatch setup.
    I have nothing against it but I don't want to be paying for phone line rental and monitoring from Phonewatch.
    I just want a simple alarm setup with contacts on doors and windows and an unmonitored alarm that goes off and wakes the dead.
    Any tips? Can the contacts that were installed for Phonewatch be repurposed for the non phonewatch solution?
    I probably won't install it myself, but any advice on a company that will do the work, Dublin based? Or better again, can the whole phonewatch system be used unmonitored, with no phone line? ie. alarm will just go off as any basic alarm.

The older systems can be used as standalone systems once phone numbers have been removed.
    Do you know what system you have installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Thanks for the info, install date was 2006, not sure on the name of the model but it looks like the one attached below.

I have the code from the previous home owner, so hoping to get it working myself.

Thanks for the info, install date was 2006, not sure on the name of the model but it looks like the one attached below.

I have the code from the previous home owner, so hoping to get it working myself.

Its a GE Simon so yes it can be used as a standalone system plus you can also set it up to ring one phone.

If you know the old owner they can get a waiver form and request the engineer code off P.W. also.

altor wrote: »
    Its a GE Simon so yes it can be used as a standalone system plus you can also set it up to ring one phone.

If you know the old owner they can get a waiver form and request the engineer code off P.W. also.
    Cheers Altor. I don't know the previous owners, but should be able to arm and disarm with the code.
    I have the manual for the Simon 3 from your site. Thanks

Cheers Altor. I don't know the previous owners, but should be able to arm and disarm with the code.
    I have the manual for the Simon 3 from your site. Thanks

You wouldnt be able to request the code then.
    Its a very easy system to use and maintain.

• Advertisement

System status tells me I have low battery on one of the motion sensors. It's a GE interlogix sensor, installed in 2006.
    Any idea what battery it would take? Similar sensors take AA or AAA
    It's not quite the same as the sensor on this page, but similar. It seems to take AA
    https://help.brinkshome.com/hc/en-us/articles/225670127-Simon-XTi-Replacing-The-Motion-Detector-Batteries

System status tells me I have low battery on one of the motion sensors. It's a GE interlogix sensor, installed in 2006.
    Any idea what battery it would take? Similar sensors take AA or AAA
    It's not quite the same as the sensor on this page, but similar. It seems to take AA
    https://help.brinkshome.com/hc/en-us/articles/225670127-Simon-XTi-Replacing-The-Motion-Detector-Batteries

Its a CR123A you need, can be got in a chemist.
    That link is for a Simon XT, you have the older Simon panel.

Drop front lid and put in your user code before opening the sensor as it will go into alarm otherwise.
    Take off top cover, remove screw if in place.
    Leaver the top of the PIR towards you with a screw driver to remove cover.
    Replace battery and close up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

hi altor, I have the same system as that and wouldn’t mind getting it working again. I haven’t used it for years because the last engineer made a mess of the set up and PW wanted a fee to come back out to change it. They wouldn’t give me the codes to do it myself. I know the arm code and still have all the instructions etc. is it possible for me to set it up myself or do I need more codes from PW. Thanks.

emeldc wrote: »
    hi altor, I have the same system as that and wouldn’t mind getting it working again. I haven’t used it for years because the last engineer made a mess of the set up and PW wanted a fee to come back out to change it. They wouldn’t give me the codes to do it myself. I know the arm code and still have all the instructions etc. is it possible for me to set it up myself or do I need more codes from PW. Thanks.

What did he mess up?

What did he mess up?

PIR sensor in the hall would trigger in the morning before I could get down the stairs. Also couldn't turn off the PIR in the kitchen if we were going out but leaving the dog in there. Poor thing is as deaf as a stone now, the burglars could step over her while she’s sleeping!

• Advertisement

PIR sensor in the hall would trigger in the morning before I could get down the stairs. Also couldn't turn off the PIR in the kitchen if we were going out but leaving the dog in there. Poor thing is as deaf as a stone now, the burglars could step over her while she’s sleeping!

He just set it up on the wrong group, should be 17 to be off at night or 35 to use as entry exit. You could try the default code 54321 and see if that allows you access to engineer mode to change this, otherwise you would be looking at defaulting and setting back up the system.

He just set it up on the wrong group, should be 17 to be off at night or 35 to use as entry exit. You could try the default code 54321 and see if that allows you access to engineer mode to change this, otherwise you would be looking at defaulting and setting back up the system.
    Ok thanks. I’ll try the default code and see what happens.

Ok thanks. I’ll try the default code and see what happens.

No problem, any other questions come back to us

Yep, that default code works alright. I should probably start by changing the batteries. I know the one in the panel is definitely gone. Do you know what type it takes. Also can you add a gizmo to it to phone a mobile if the alarm goes off. It's not connected to a phone line any more. Sorry for all the Q's !

Yep, that default code works alright. I should probably start by changing the batteries. I know the one in the panel is definitely gone. Do you know what type it takes. Also can you add a gizmo to it to phone a mobile if the alarm goes off. It's not connected to a phone line any more. Sorry for all the Q's !

Brilliant, this should allow you remove the sensor in the hall and add it back in then change the group its enrolled on.
    Yes its a 6V 3.2Amp.
    Have you a phone line going to the alarm?

Brilliant, this should allow you remove the sensor in the hall and add it back in then change the group its enrolled on.
    Yes its a 6V 3.2Amp.
    Have you a phone line going to the alarm?

No land phone line any more. Had it disconnected a couple of years ago when I stopped the monitoring.

No land phone line any more. Had it disconnected a couple of years ago when I stopped the monitoring.

You could use a GSM but it would need its own power supply as thats only a 6V panel.
    Another issue is it will only contact one phone using its voice dialer.

You could use a GSM but it would need its own power supply as thats only a 6V panel.
    Another issue is it will only contact one phone using its voice dialer.

Ok thanks, maybe I’ll get it working first and worry about the dialer later. Thanks for all the info. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Ok thanks, maybe I’ll get it working first and worry about the dialer later. Thanks for all the info. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Thats no problem, always happy to help :)

Hi Altor-any idea which battery is needed for the older Simon control panel? I got the wrong one on Ebay, must be for an XT.

• Advertisement

Hi Altor-any idea which battery is needed for the older Simon control panel? I got the wrong one on Ebay, must be for an XT.

Yes its the 6 volt battery.
    REW on the suppliers list have them in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

PM sent to Altor. Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 grudi79

hi guys, have the same problem as in the first post, maybe little bit worst
    bought a house with the same alarm, well, at least looks the same as on the picture, and i don't have a single code for it
    trying to reach previous owner but not easy, and even it will happen not sure if he still has any documents
    i'd love to have it working without monitoring but is it possible to reset it with no code at all?
    any chance to get an instructions how to do it, and how does it work?
    never had any alarm and don't know anything about how to use it
    i switched it on and looks like it's working but it's asking for a code
    please help

Advertisement