Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TNG runthrough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

Inviere wrote: »
    Indeed, a very emotional, and indeed cold as you mention, decision he made.
    Can you be cold and emotional at the same time?

It's not very "Data", so for me, it stands out as an odd conclusion to the episode...were they trying to 'humanise' him that bit more bu adding this complication?
    It is a little odd but it is kind of human at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Evade wrote: »
    Can you be cold and emotional at the same time?

It's emotional because at some point, he decided that he couldn't let Fajo continue to hurt people, and decided to murder him.

It's cold because he took the "nobody needs to know" approach.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I wouldn't say 1 life vs loads is necessarily emotional I'd even say its logical in a way

It's emotional because at some point, he decided that he couldn't let Fajo continue to hurt people, and decided to murder him.

It's cold because he took the "nobody needs to know" approach.
    You can arrive at the decision to kill Fajo a lot quicker without emotions. He said he'd kill more people so by killing him you save lives it's very simple maths. Adding in emotions only complicates the issue.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I wouldn't say 1 life vs loads is necessarily emotional I'd even say its logical in a way

How many people did Data then not apply that logic to in future episodes? The whole premise was really to hint that Data had an emotional reaction to the death of Varria, that he was more than a mere computer.

• Advertisement

You can arrive at the decision to kill Fajo a lot quicker without emotions. He said he'd kill more people so by killing him you save lives it's very simple maths. Adding in emotions only complicates the issue.

I Borg comes to mind...

I Borg comes to mind...
    It's been a while since I saw that episode but was Data the one to object to using the weird shape weapon against the Borg?

The Vulcans even have a saying about it.

It's been a while since I saw that episode but was Data the one to object to using the weird shape weapon against the Borg?

Not really, it started with Crusher, then Geordi, and before long, most everyone agreed it was a bad idea. It's just I was reminded of the concept

Not really, it started with Crusher, then Geordi, and before long, most everyone agreed it was a bad idea. It's just I was reminded of the concept
    Those pesky emotions getting in the way again. Leave the decision up to Data, no more Borg.

• Advertisement

Those pesky emotions getting in the way again. Leave the decision up to Data, no more Borg.

I still have no issue with the original plan :o If I were assimilated, it'd be a release to be destroyed.

I still have no issue with the original plan :o If I were assimilated, it'd be a release to be destroyed.
    Same. I'd hope First Contact Picard was there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I definitely hadn't seen Picard mind meld with Sarek before. Poor sarek is having a bit of a meltdown

I definitely hadn't seen Picard mind meld with Sarek before.
    There's a nice callback/payoff to that in season 5.

You think when geordi does a link up with some super healing randomer and then spends the next month saying how everything about himself is perfect now, someone would ask something...

Eta: that turned out way more benign than i expected :D

Lads i totally forgot keiko and obrien married on tng. Or that she existed in tng.
    We have data to blame for all this!
    And to think, she didn't even want to marry him.

The tap dancing is cool, i didnt realise gates mcfadden is a choreographer and was actually doing the dancing. She choreographed Labyrinth! And brent spiner did a bit of the dancing too

S4e16: geordi gets creepy

Why doesn't he just answer "how did you know that" with "i asked the computer for your latest notes when we were stuck"

eta: this gets worse?
    Leah: this is really violating wtf?
    Geordi: HOW DARE YOU I WAS REALLY NICE TO YOU I EVEN PRETENDED TO BE YOUR FRIEND SO I COULD HIT ON YOU

who wrote this episode

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

^^^^^^

I just saw "Geordie gets creepy"

Yeah, Geordie deffo got creepy around women alright. I presume that was the episode where he got all obsessed with the holograph of the designer?...... Yeah...... Yeah, not good, Geordie...

Leah: this is really violating wtf?
    Geordi: HOW DARE YOU I WAS REALLY NICE TO YOU I EVEN PRETENDED TO BE YOUR FRIEND SO I COULD HIT ON YOU

She was clearly quite hostile to Geordi from the moment she boarded. She was defensive, aggressive, and confrontational because she felt the ships engines were 'her' design, and she didn't like that someone tweaked them for real life, as opposed to the drawing boards.

To be fair to Geordi, he respected her a lot for her design work. Yes he had that holodeck encounter with a recreation of her, and seemed to be a bit taken with her after that. When she discovered the recreation, she went into orbit, and Geordi just cracked because while she was right to be outraged at first, she wasn't listening to the reasons why it happened. It's not as if Geordi intentionally designed the program the way it looked.

It was only when he fought back, that she backed down and listened.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

When Wesley Crusher makes fun of your love life you know it's bad!

Sarek causing the crew to fight each other, Riker gets WRIST PUNCHED!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a long while since I saw the episode, and while I can see how jarring a difference between holographic and real version might throw Geordi off, it really shouldn't come to that and I blame the script for failing to see the story from its characters' POV; in fact the script smacked a little along the lines of "well, she should have been flattered about a nice man's attention", purely because we the audience knew Geordi, knew he was a nice guy so were meant to think the scientists reaction as hostile and unreasonable.

I know Voyager touched on the rights of holograms through the Doctor, but I don't think they ever really explored the ramifications from the other point of view. I mean... utopia or not, there are some dark, dark places you could take the holographic recreation of a living or deceased person, not least one who becomes a romantic target.

If id just found out someone had a copy of me in a s/possible sex dungeon/holodeck/ I'd hit orbit as well. She had literally about 5 seconds to process it all when geordi comes in and then starts shouting.
    She was nice enough and was about to have dinner with him until he made his feelings clear, but his reaction was totally "nice guy" territory. And from her pov, if it was that harmless, he could have told her earlier.
    Pixelburp has put it better than me.
    And then she apologised at the end? U wot m8?

^^^^^^

I just saw "Geordie gets creepy"

Yeah, Geordie deffo got creepy around women alright. I presume that was the episode where he got all obsessed with the holograph of the designer?...... Yeah...... Yeah, not good, Geordie...

Follow up one after that when he meets her irl and sleazes from go.
    I think the magic healing alien did too good a job on him! :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    so were meant to think the scientists reaction as hostile and unreasonable.

She literally stepped off the transporter pad accusing Geordi of screwing up her engine designs though. This was just as they met. She was hostile, unreasonable, and aggressive...we're not meant to just think that, we see it right away.

From a writing perspective, it's designed to juxtapose with everything we seen from the holodeck version of the character who was enthusiastic, passionate about sharing the work and working with Geordi to solve a problem.
    And then she apologised at the end? U wot m8?

They both got off on the wrong foot. I think when she calmed down and understood why there was a recreation of her on the holodeck, and seen things with some context, she gained a broader viewpoint on the whole thing.

I think TNG peaks by Season 6. Have started season 7 and have looked at what episodes does are ahead...there’s a good few mediocre to downright bad ones. Watched Interface last night, pretty poor for final season level stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I think TNG peaks by Season 6. Have started season 7 and have looked at what episodes does are ahead...there’s a good few mediocre to downright bad ones. Watched Interface last night, pretty poor for final season level stuff.

Seasons 3, 4, and 5 were the peak. Even the bad episodes were pretty good.

6 and 7 had some really standout moments but definitely, overall, it was a bit of a decline. They got a little too comfortable with the formula.

Picard Robin Hood 🤦🏻*♀️🤦🏻*♀️🤦🏻*♀️

Picard Robin Hood 🤦🏻*♀️🤦🏻*♀️🤦🏻*♀️
    For all the many faults of that episode "I AM NOT A MERRY MAN" makes it worth it.

Season 7 - Sub Rosa was last night. Good god...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Season 7 - Sub Rosa was last night. Good god...

Is there any 'story' as such behind that episode? Like, was it some last minute emergency script pulled from the bin as they had nothing better? It's so phenomenally bad, it almost comes out the other side into brilliance. Almost.

• Advertisement

For all the many faults of that episode "I AM NOT A MERRY MAN" makes it worth it.
    Hahaha yeah that actually was the best bit

Advertisement