Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Orville

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Not sure what to make of that. Oh, now I know, MacFarlane has become the new Adam Sandler !!!

Looks like one of those movies Sandler now makes for Netflix, hard to believe that's getting a cinema release.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Rather than it being a case of spelling out the joke, I took that to be a case of them showing how normal people would react to the dog in the background of the video-comms. You'd never get that on shows like Star Trek, casual conversation between crew-mates, etc. Like Malloy having to go to the toilet, it's one of those ordinary moments that you just don't get on Starships.

Episode 3 certainly turned up the tone of the show though. Quite a different and more serious story line. Very well done, I thought. I'd say this is doing better than the first two episodes of Discovery, IMO anyway.

Cassidy called it for what it is here too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

funny how critics give it 20% and audience 89%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/orville/

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

silverharp wrote: »
    funny how critics give it 20% and audience 89%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/orville/

Where does that "audience" come from though? Seems to me like the inherent flaw with any 'customer' style ratings on the internet is that they equate to "audience who actually bothered signing-up, rating the show". That's always going to be lopsided towards any groups of people with either a very strong, or very negative reaction. Or else you get weird outliers like review bombing. Disinterested, broadly anti/apathetic viewers by their nature aren't going to vote.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Where does that "audience" come from though? Seems to me like the inherent flaw with any 'customer' style ratings on the internet is that they equate to "audience who actually bothered signing-up, rating the show". That's always going to be lopsided towards any groups of people with either a very strong, or very negative reaction. Or else you get weird outliers like review bombing. Disinterested, broadly anti/apathetic viewers by their nature aren't going to vote.

some value in lots of people not paid to write opinions, look at Ghostbusters below, the audience opinion would appear to be the more correct view of reality. I would say critics are subject to group think especially if there is something "fashionable" about the show/movie.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters_2016

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

some value in lots of people not paid to write opinions, look at Ghostbusters below, the audience opinion would appear to be the more correct view of reality. I would say critics are subject to group think especially if there is something "fashionable" about the show/movie.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters_2016

73% to 52% isn't as big a swing in opinion compared with the 20% to ~90% of The Orville; the latter is real Bovril levels if you take the scores at face values. Though as with all these things, I love the idea that opinions can be rationalised down to precise percentage points. As if it implies some dark science behind RottenTomatoes we're not privy to :D

I never said professional criticism was perfect: both groupings are flawed - everyone suffers from group think - but flawed for very different reasons. At the very least with this fashion of aggregators as some ultimate Source of Truth, there's a definite consensus with professional critics; whether you think that consensus is tainted or not is up to you. But audiences are just as prone to herd mentality as critics.

These audience figures though have absolutely no guarantee: like I said it's more likely you'll get motivated users (same with Ghostbusters really, given the mark it left on pop culture) than casual viewers - and with review bombing a thing, we can't even be sure everyone even watched the damn thing.

Did you add your score to RottenTomatoes? I haven't, nor ever, even with stuff I love! Maybe boards should start adding Polls to more popular shows, set up our own aggregator and see what this pool of viewers thinks...

As for this show? Orville ain't 20% bad, but it sure as heck aint 90% good either; there's no denying the love for a heavily cloned source, but ripping off the TNG-tinted glasses and it's flat & unoriginal. Having enjoyed ScyFy's summer fare (The Expanse, Dark Matter & Killjoys), the Orville feels ... weirdly anachronistic, but in a disingenuous way.

pixelburp wrote: »
    73% to 52% isn't as big a swing in opinion compared with the 20% to ~90% of The Orville; the latter is real Bovril levels if you take the scores at face values. Though as with all these things, I love the idea that opinions can be rationalised down to precise percentage points. As if it implies some dark science behind RottenTomatoes we're not privy to :D

I never said professional criticism was perfect: both groupings are flawed - everyone suffers from group think - but flawed for very different reasons. At the very least with this fashion of aggregators as some ultimate Source of Truth, there's a definite consensus with professional critics; whether you think that consensus is tainted or not is up to you. But audiences are just as prone to herd mentality as critics.

These audience figures though have absolutely no guarantee: like I said it's more likely you'll get motivated users (same with Ghostbusters really, given the mark it left on pop culture) than casual viewers - and with review bombing a thing, we can't even be sure everyone even watched the damn thing.

Did you add your score to RottenTomatoes? I haven't, nor ever, even with stuff I love! Maybe boards should start adding Polls to more popular shows, set up our own aggregator and see what this pool of viewers thinks...

As for this show? Orville ain't 20% bad, but it sure as heck aint 90% good either; there's no denying the love for a heavily cloned source, but ripping off the TNG-tinted glasses and it's flat & unoriginal. Having enjoyed ScyFy's summer fare (The Expanse, Dark Matter & Killjoys), the Orville feels ... weirdly anachronistic, but in a disingenuous way.

I don't think a particular % means much to the nearest 20% would get you bad, average, good etc.

Looking at the Orville v STD , what you can say is the critics prefer STD and the viewers prefer Orville. Maybe when both are done for series 1 one could agree who was right?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I stopped looking at critics\public reviews years ago, everyone has different tastes. Just ask yourself which one you are looking forward to the seeing the next episode of more. For me its the Orville, there are too many changes in discovery from established trek that annoy me. The Orville is a love letter to TNG. I think its great. Like a lot of others im tired of prequel trek.

Ive seen a lot of people going on about how you cant have a trek show set after voyager because its too limiting. i think this is hilarious, how many shows are churned out set on this planet alone and arent limiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

7.5 on imdb atm

it's gaining popularity per episode according to that.

Episode 4 was less dramatic than the third, some more belly laughs in it though, McFarlane is a really good writer when he's being serious, the gags are pretty good when they work.

couple of nice surprises in episode 4 all the same, spoilered just in case
    The "hey don't i know you" bit to the guard had me in kinks, Liam Neeson appearing was a bit of a shock - as was the colonel from 'Space Above and Beyond'

it's a shame this is in competition with STD, if it had come out a year or two ago i'd say it'd have already established itself with a solid fanbase.

I'm looking forward to the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭pah

A very solid episode 4. I like the balance of the trek feel with mcfarlanes humour. Serious big name cameo and some quality guest stars also in Robert Knepper and James Morrisson.

• Advertisement

Seriously. 4 episodes in and the ex marriage is being brought up. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Episode 4 was solid. Top cameos! The Angriest
    Angel from Space Above and Beyond
    . I hope that's not a one time only!

There was also
    yer man from Heroes playing the baddie

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

This is getting stronger by the episode. There was a much better balance of comedy with the drama this week, while it had been quite jarring previously, so it flowed a lot better in that regard. The caliber of guest stars this week with Robert Knepper, James Morrison, and Max Burkholder (all of whom I'm a fan of from other shows they've done), was great too. Not to mention that unexpected cameo of
    Liam Neeson
    !!! :D
    Slydice wrote: »
    There was also
    yer man from Heroes playing the baddie

Of all the memorable roles Robert Knepper has had, it pains me to hear him described as "yer man from Heroes" when he was only brought in to that for it's last season in an attempt to boost ratings. That said I'm a big fan of Prison Break, iZombie, Twin Peaks, Stargate Universe, and many other shows I watch in which he's made guest or recurring appearances, so maybe I'm just more familiar with his repertoire... He actually appeared in an episode of both Next Generation and Voyager as well by the way.

robert%2Bknepper.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Stargate Universe

Ack! That one I felt I shouldve remembered. Haven't seen some of those other shows. The screenshot from TNG looks familiar.

He really was in tonnes of stuff:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Knepper

Hitman also jumps out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Enjoying this, Galaxy Quest the series basically :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

astrofool wrote: »
    Enjoying this, Galaxy Quest the series basically :)

I'd disagree.. I know the initial trailers pitched it that way, but 4 episodes in and it's a lot deeper and nuanced than that.

I've read a lot about Seth being the weakest part of it, but I disagree.. I think the awkward jokes and observations are part of his character trying to fit in/bond with his crew, and partly why he was no-one's first choice for the mission.

Also.. music when they board the ship this week was straight out of TMP when the Enterprise is pulled deeper into V'Ger

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just finished the 4th episode there... really enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

I watched the first episode last night.

I like the lightheartedness and good old fashioned adventure of it.

A good bit of the "humour" was cringe-worthy though - very out of place and just not funny.

"We need never fear the banana again", "I loosened it for you" and stepping on the jelly crewmenber were funny.

"Can I drink soda on duty" and "can I wear short" are among the terrible moments. The pilot and the navigator are just awful - annoying and wooden respectively.

I'm hoping the show embraces the fun action aspect and drops the bad sitcom dialogue moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Enjoyed that fourth episode alright. They're very much going for an early TNG/early SG1 vibe of stand alone episodes; getting to know the characters, getting to know the universe, etc.

They're setting up the Krill as a long-running antagonist but without getting too deep into it at the start. I think that's the mistake that Enterprise made; diving too quickly into a big story arc without a settling-in period.

Watched 4 last night, strongest episode so far and main plot could easily have been a Next Gen or Voyager story line. One thing I like is that given its a comedy I don't care if they are always logical or consistent. I like the banter at the helm the "boom b1tch" comment was a hoot.

General question, are they at risk of being sued? or did they get any prior permission to make a series so close to Trek? you imagine other productions have been sued for less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

General question, are they at risk of being sued? or did they get any prior permission to make a series so close to Trek? you imagine other productions have been sued for less.

I don't imagine they are in any danger of being sued. They are not using anything that could be copyrighted. No federation, no character names or ship names, no references to anything at all from Star Trek. On paper it is in no way connected to Star trek.

Other fan fiction stuff has been sued because they used existing characters and ship names and created sequels to specific Star Trek stories.

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I don't imagine they are in any danger of being sued. They are not using anything that could be copyrighted. No federation, no character names or ship names, no references to anything at all from Star Trek. On paper it is in no way connected to Star trek.

Other fan fiction stuff has been sued because they used existing characters and ship names and created sequels to specific Star Trek stories.

I was thinking of Timeless, they were being sued by the Spanish production company of the original Spanish equivalent of the show. They came to some type of agreement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I guess if they include enough original elements in the overall universe then they're safe enough. Star Trek can't claim a copyright on the concept of space exploration, or futuristic technology and the likes. They would have to show very specific elements of the ST universe have been stolen or copied and used as major points in the show.

So with enough uniqueness - rear-mounted engines, no transporters - the Orville can legitimately claim that it's just another series based in space. Probably about the closest to the bone elements are the uniforms. Even then, ST can't claim copyright since they change their own uniforms a lot. And the use of colour in uniforms to distinguish a person's role is not something that ST invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

"Can I drink soda on duty" and "can I wear short" are among the terrible moments. The pilot and the navigator are just awful - annoying and wooden respectively.

I found these two characters way too similar in tone. You could easily swap their lines between them and nothing would change.

OK McFarlane is pulling all the friends into this. That was a massive cameo after last week's.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Patrick Stewart pop up now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭corkie

OK McFarlane is pulling all the friends into this. That was a massive cameo after last week's.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Patrick Stewart pop up now

It is rumored that he will be making a cameo appearance!

Also Scott Bakula

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

I don't know -- I'm enjoying it, but it might get a bit frustrating if they keep introducing star after star after star. It'll start to feel a bit like Extras.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I don't know -- I'm enjoying it, but it might get a bit frustrating if they keep introducing star after star after star. It'll start to feel a bit like Extras.

It's Seth going through his list of mates basically. They're all his past/current project co-stars.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    It's Seth going through his list of mates basically. They're all his past/current project co-stars.

I kind of figured that. But it kinda feels like they've no confidence in the show by itself.

Advertisement