Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Orville

• 26-05-2017 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭

Saw this referenced in the latest Discovery rumor video.. as a Galaxy Quest fan this looks fun, and more in keeping with the look of "proper" Trek :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

Yes, from the creator of Family Guy, also staring him. Could be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

A "Galaxy Quest series" would be great but I'm not sure I could be bothered with Seth MacFarlane's take on the idea.

Willing to be proven wrong but that trailer just looks like what I'd expect from him. Doesn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I love Galaxy Quest. Thought it was sharp and clever and wasn't mean spirited about Trek fans/ trek scenarios which would have been a much easier path . I even like Seth McFarlane (well, Family Guy). But this just didn't do it for me. Of course I'll give it a go but...........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Trek trivia, he's a massive trek fan, and starred in an episode of Enterprise as a crewman in engineering!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,553 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am not a Seth Mcfarlene fan but do think this looks like it could be funny. It does look very Star Trek like. I don,t think the ship looks very like a ship of the federation do. Its certainly different. I could see it belonging to an alien race but not the Federation. I will give this a go think its cool that there is a Sci-Fi comedy coming out and a new Star Trek series too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hopefully the rest of the film is funnier than that trailer. I haven't been all that impressed with Seths' live action stuff, he's humor works well in animation but not so much in real life IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

It looks awful. If this passes as funny I'm past it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The idea looks good and certainly seems like there's some money being thrown at it, but I just can't get past the presence of McFarlane and the nature of his character & humour. I can't stand his schtick of being the only one 'in' on the gag, pointing out how weird everything is - it just doesn't translate when the actual world seems fairly 'normal'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭Evade

I'll almost certainly watch it but I think it would be better if Seth MacFarlane would at least consider casting someone else as the lead in the live action stuff he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Goodshape wrote: »
    A "Galaxy Quest series" would be great but I'm not sure I could be bothered with Seth MacFarlane's take on the idea.

Willing to be proven wrong but that trailer just looks like what I'd expect from him. Doesn't look good.

A Galaxy Quest series was apparently a thing, but trying to get the cast schedules to line up was an issue, and then with the death of Alan Rickman :( it stalled from what I read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not really getting the Galaxy Quest vibes from this. It just looks like a MacFarlane show that happens to be set in space. Galaxy Quest was more of an homage than a parody of Star Trek and the sci-fi genre. The humour all came from its reverse fish-out-of-water premise, which is what also allowed it to have real emotional stakes, something that straight-up parodies generally don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭Inviere

Turned off half way through, jesus....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

i like it. I'm going to watch it. Reminds me of TNG.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,553 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

ScumLord wrote: »
    Hopefully the rest of the film is funnier than that trailer. I haven't been all that impressed with Seths' live action stuff, he's humor works well in animation but not so much in real life IMO.

Its not a film its a series.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Can't wait for this. Trailer had me in stitches— Looks like it'll be right up my alley. Anybody know if it'll be on any channels over here?

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Can't wait for this. Trailer had me in stitches— Looks like it'll be right up my alley. Anybody know if it'll be on any channels over here?

Probably FOX

Is this a film or a series??

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is this a film or a series??

A series

I thought it was a film, as a series it might work out better.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Interesting comment from MacFarlane where he said that while the trailer played up the comedic elements of the show the series itself will lean closer to Star Trek than Futurama.. Seth Macfarlane the Orville will be more star trek than futurama/ That's reassuring and I like the fact that the show will have a sense of optimism.

• Advertisement

Greyjoy wrote: »
    Interesting comment from MacFarlane where he said that while the trailer played up the comedic elements of the show the series itself will lean closer to Star Trek than Futurama.. Seth Macfarlane the Orville will be more star trek than futurama/ That's reassuring and I like the fact that the show will have a sense of optimism.

That sounds a lot more "involved" than the trailer would suggest. Kudos for using real models too.

Cassidy Yates and Bashir's Da from DS9 in the trailer, wonder if McFarlane has a host of other secondary trek characters appearing too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭Evade

Cassidy Yates and Bashir's Da from DS9 in the trailer, wonder if McFarlane has a host of other secondary trek characters appearing too?
    He works with Patrick Stewart pretty regularly I wonder what the chances are of him showing up?

possible yeah, and michael dorn too

And the Frakes behind the camera too, according to that article.

The 'humour' in the trailer really wasn't my cup of tea (MacFarlane being "the only one 'in' on the gag, pointing out how weird everything is" is a perfect description for his brand of comedy) but the article makes things sound a bit better.

It would be a tad annoying if this turns out to be a more enjoyable / more "Trek" show than Discovery. Pretty cool that we have two chances for good Trek in the near future though!

New trailer with some new footage yesterday.. Still looks promising

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Couple of DS9 faces in that trailer!
    Kassidy Yates, the obvious one. But also, Julian Bashir's father Richard. :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Couple of DS9 faces in that trailer!
    Kassidy Yates, the obvious one. But also, Julian Bashir's father Richard. :)

jaysis, only 6 posts back and ye didnt see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

jaysis, only 6 posts back and ye didnt see it?

Nope, didn't see it at all! :D

Sorry about that :o

• Advertisement

Early reviews of the first few episodes starting to come in.

Variety: "When the dust settles, “The Orville” may emerge as the most inexplicable show of the new season. It certainly never makes a convincing case for its existence. The first impression — that it exists so that creator and star Seth MacFarlane can do elaborate “Star Trek” cosplay — is only reinforced over the course of the tepid trio of episodes that kick off the show."

TVLine: "Seth MacFarlane's Somber Sci-Fi Dud Crashes and Burns. Consider this a red alert to TV fans everywhere: Are you expecting Seth MacFarlane’s new Fox series The Orville to be a fun Star Trek parody packed with wall-to-wall jokes? Two words of advice: Abandon ship."

SF Chronicle: "There’s something there or, more to the point, bits and pieces of something there, but it needs work. Boy, does it need work."

Oh well! One down, one to go. Roll on Discovery!

Advertisement