Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replace Astec 63 Alarm or Not?

• 30-06-2019 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

So I have an Astec 63 alarm now for around 16 years.

Battery currently needs to be replaced and has done so every 2-3 years for the last few replacements and I currently also have 1 front window contact sensor that needs to be looked at or replaced.

Current install is as follows and is all hardwired, no wireless:

Downstairs
    Window Openings x 10
    Entrance Doors x 2
    Alarm Keypad
    Alarm Panel & Interior Bell

Upstairs
    Window Openings x 11
    Landing PIR x 1

Exterior
    Bell
    Alarm Cover/Box x 2 (front & rear)

Should I just replace the battery and have the dodgy contact assessed and replaced also or is there an economical upgrade I could have easily?

Things I would be interested in with an upgrade:

1. Possible home automation integration options (Z-Wave/ Alexa / Google)
    2. Self Monitoring & control via App and/or Text
    3. Family access to apps and/or texts
    4. No annual fees apart from servicing
    5. I will also be considering some external and internal CCTV in the future, so perhaps a consideration now.

Advise and guidance welcome on how best to proceed.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If the other sensors arnt giving you any problems then I'd recommend looking at the GSD i1070 if you are looking for the extra features an upgrade will bring.

They would tick all your 5 boxes plus it will integrate with your existing Astec sensors contacts & panic alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

KoolKid wrote: »
    If the other sensors arnt giving you any problems then I'd recommend looking at the GSD i1070 if you are looking for the extra features an upgrade will bring.

They would tick all your 5 boxes plus it will integrate with your existing Astec sensors contacts & panic alarms.

What are the home automation options with this alarm, not much on their website?

I already have Z-Wave and in an ideal world would like some way of connecting in with that rather than another separate solution.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The only home automation at the moment would be via outputs on the panel.
    There is integration with Alexa but its not released yet.

The only home automation at the moment would be via outputs on the panel.
    There is integration with Alexa but its not released yet.

Can you elaborate further on options via outputs panel? Apologies for my lack of knowledge in this area.

I have a Fibaro set-up and home controller and there is an option it seems using a binary sensor they provide: https://manuals.fibaro.com/binary-sensor/ (scroll down to wiring diagram). Could you see that working or providing options?

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Can you elaborate further on options via outputs panel? Apologies for my lack of knowledge in this area.

I have a Fibaro set-up and home controller and there is an option it seems using a binary sensor they provide: https://manuals.fibaro.com/binary-sensor/ (scroll down to wiring diagram). Could you see that working or providing options?

The outputs from the panel can give a +or - trigger to any device. Looking at the diagrams attached it should be possible to trigger from the panel outputs.

• Advertisement

The outputs from the panel can give a +or - trigger to any device. Looking at the diagrams attached it should be possible to trigger from the panel outputs.

Thanks, I see Fibaro also has a Smart Implant (https://manuals.fibaro.com/smart-implant/) now so this may be another option.

I think I will email GSD for their inputs on possibilities and then know where I will stand when engaging an installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Can I just jump on this. I bought a house with same alarm in place. Astec 63dv.
    Do I need to be upgrading the key panel? It's just window sensors and pir in the hall.

The equipment is obsolete so a problem with the panel, keypad or bells would require an upgrade. Other than that they will work fine and sensors /contacts can be replaced.

So leave it till it craps out ?

peteb2 wrote: »
    So leave it till it craps out ?

If it's not giving you any bother.

• Advertisement

If it's not giving you any bother.

It randomly went off last night despite the fact we havent used it since we moved in 2 months ago. Part the reason we haven't is that the wife doesnt find the keypad very user friendly. Display is hard to read and not very intuitive. And wife isnt into complicated!!

Its sparked a small conversation on whether to get a monitored alarm or not? Or self monitor? I'm kind of of the view if they want to be in they will get in after the alarm goes off at the perimeter anyway.

Would you recommend upgrading the keypad to something that could be accessed via an app? Is Vanderbilt the way to go? Any idea of the cost to get and install?

ok so i got a price to install a wireless system. I had contacted Home Secure as a mate had used them. Of course they said with a 15 year old system no one would be happy with the possible condition of wiring and that wireless was the best option over wired! I guess its like talking to a timber-framed builder about concrete built houses!

Anyone any experience of it? As seems to be the case these days, in terms of perimeter protection they just suggest sensors on the windows and doors downstairs and using a PIR upstairs with no sensors. Their pricing was €99 install and then €30 a month for the 5 sensors and 2 PIR including monitoring and engineer call outs. The usual thing of you dont own the equipment for five years.

Another similar system seems to be Action 24 doing something along the same lines.

I take their point about you never know the condition of wiring after all the years - House was built 20 years ago and probably been in since then. However also need to take it with a pinch of salt about wireless being so much better. Although i gather new wired v new wireless is a little different than 20 year old wired system v new wirless from a reliability perspective.

all opinions welcome. And although i had ongoing monthly costs there is something to be said for not having to throw down 500 or so to replace a keypad and still have to pay if my sensors go bust.

Advertisement