Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-08-2019, 13:35   #16
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I don’t think there’s any need to provide crockery and kitchenware. I’ve lived in a variety of different rentals and the only stuff in the kitchens generally has been detritus left by previous tenants.

A lot of people like to choose their crockery, utensils etc. too. And most people who have been renting for a while should have some kind of collection of kitchen stuff.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-08-2019, 13:44   #17
bee06

The advice I got from the management company who manage my apartment is to not include any of that small stuff. If dishes break you are responsible for replacing them, there is the hassle of inventorying them at the beginning and end of the tenancy.
Thanks from:
12-08-2019, 13:56   #18
SozBbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee06 View Post
The advice I got from the management company who manage my apartment is to not include any of that small stuff. If dishes break you are responsible for replacing them, there is the hassle of inventorying them at the beginning and end of the tenancy.
Thanks, I think i'm clear now on the main question - I'll just clear out the kitchen entirely when we move.

On an aside, do you think going wtih a management company has been the right decision?

Our plan is to find our own tennants, but if the management becomes onerous, we might hand it over to an agency to manage in time.
12-08-2019, 13:57   #19
PhoenixParker

As a former tenant please supply the basic minimum.
Decent comfortable functioning furniture and white goods - beds, mattresses, couches, fridge, oven etc.

The little things I would rather have my own and it was always a nuisance to find some out of the way corner for the landlords stuff.

It's easier for you from a maintenance and inventory point of view. It's easier for the tenant because they have things they like and use. There is no advantage to providing it.
Thanks from:
12-08-2019, 14:11   #20
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee06 View Post
Even if crockery is provided, wouldn’t it be the tenant’s responsibility to replace something that they broke?
Advertisement
12-08-2019, 14:31   #21
fishy_fishy

Moved in to our place 6 months ago. Nice apartment in a nice location. Landlord supplied bed & mattress, (fitted) wardrobes, oven, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine, fridge/freezer, armchair, sofa and dining table + chairs. We brought & bought everything else (incl kettle, toaster, bins, T.V. stand, lamps, side tables, rug etc.)

I'm really happy with that. It's our stuff in our home, we know where it's been and like it.

However, the landlord did leave a couple of toilet rolls, and a little bag with a couple of dishwasher and laundry tablets in it. That was a nice gesture and something that we definitely appreciated. That weekend we were flat out moving stuff, going to IKEA, home store and more etc, so was nice to be able to get a takeaway and not worry about a big shop.
Thanks from:
12-08-2019, 15:34   #22
bee06

Quote:
Originally Posted by SozBbz View Post
Thanks, I think i'm clear now on the main question - I'll just clear out the kitchen entirely when we move.

On an aside, do you think going wtih a management company has been the right decision?

Our plan is to find our own tennants, but if the management becomes onerous, we might hand it over to an agency to manage in time.
For me yes, I don’t have time to be dealing with issues, organising repairs etc (not that it happens very often). They sort out new tenants as well and collect the rent. The cost is tax deductible as well.
Thanks from:
12-08-2019, 15:38   #23
bee06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obvious Desperate Breakfasts View Post
Even if crockery is provided, wouldn’t it be the tenant’s responsibility to replace something that they broke?
If they broke it I guess so. If a plate had a chip in it and subsequently broke then it just gets messy. Would you really want to get into the mess of deducting from the deposit at the end of the tenancy for the two missing forks and a broken plate?
12-08-2019, 16:15   #24
SozBbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy_fishy View Post
Moved in to our place 6 months ago. Nice apartment in a nice location. Landlord supplied bed & mattress, (fitted) wardrobes, oven, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine, fridge/freezer, armchair, sofa and dining table + chairs. We brought & bought everything else (incl kettle, toaster, bins, T.V. stand, lamps, side tables, rug etc.)

I'm really happy with that. It's our stuff in our home, we know where it's been and like it.

However, the landlord did leave a couple of toilet rolls, and a little bag with a couple of dishwasher and laundry tablets in it. That was a nice gesture and something that we definitely appreciated. That weekend we were flat out moving stuff, going to IKEA, home store and more etc, so was nice to be able to get a takeaway and not worry about a big shop.
Thanks, great input! Although this has now given me a few more things to think about.... I'd intended to leave a bin, kettle and toaster and tv unit.

I'd have no issue removing them if the tenants would rather. I suppose I'll leave them in but give them to option that we'll take them away if they'd rather use their own items.
Advertisement
12-08-2019, 17:49   #25
jlm29

I would hold on to whatever you’re wondering about leaving until you’ve chosen a tenant and just ask them if they want it. They might have their own and say so, and they might not, in which case they may be glad to save a few euro buying stuff.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion