Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are interest rates decided? (Liquidity Preference Theory)

• 13-01-2019 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello so I'm a LC Economics student and I'm having trouble understanding how the supply of money and demand for liquid funds affect interest rates.

From my notes if demand for cash etc. remains the same while the supply of money increases then the interest rate falls, it encourages investment and discourages savings.

But why would interest rates fall? Is it because there's more money therefore interest rates are somehow valued differently? Nothing goes into more detail than that because I'm assuming I just need to know how does the change in equilibrium affect saving and investment.

But why would interest rates fall and vice versa depending on the money supply???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hello so I'm a LC Economics student and I'm having trouble understanding how the supply of money and demand for liquid funds affect interest rates.

From my notes if demand for cash etc. remains the same while the supply of money increases then the interest rate falls, it encourages investment and discourages savings.

But why would interest rates fall? Is it because there's more money therefore interest rates are somehow valued differently? Nothing goes into more detail than that because I'm assuming I just need to know how does the change in equilibrium affect saving and investment.

But why would interest rates fall and vice versa depending on the money supply???

Short answer:

if there is more supply of something, its price falls

In the KT of LP, the int rate is the price of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 HeathenSkeptic

Geuze wrote: »
    Short answer:

if there is more supply of something, its price falls

In the KT of LP, the int rate is the price of money.

OH that makes more sense if I think of it as the price of money, thank you!

Advertisement