Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Should nuts be banned in schools?
Yes - they should be banned 201 50.76%
No - the school, children and parents should accomodate 175 44.19%
Don't know 20 5.05%
Voters: 396. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  

09-10-2019, 18:20   #16
Plumbthedepths

Quote:
Originally Posted by harr View Post
I to have seen the affects of a selfish parent thinking the ban on nut products didn’t Apply To them. The child in question went to deaths door in a matter of minutes and this was only from minimal contact with someone who had been eating nuts. The teacher had an epi pen as did the child in her school bag. A very scary thing to see a child not being able to breathe.
The other parent it turns out had been told a number of times and criminal proceedings were threatened in the end, this was after the school sent all parents a letter from crumlin hospital stating the severity of this child condition.
Curious , what criminal proceedings could have been brought ?
I feel sorry for the child in question, but little Johnny or Mary can bring a nut product to school without their parents knowledge.
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 18:22   #17
Cee-Jay-Cee

OP if your child had a condition where dust from nuts (yes that’s how sensitive some people can be) could potentially kill them, would you want to risk a child who handled nuts picking up something belonging to your child and your child then putting whatever the other child touched into their mouth? Would you want your child to accidentally contaminate something that a child with a nut allergy then ate?

If you answer yes to both of those then you clearly are not a parent and hopefully never will be either.
Thanks from:
09-10-2019, 18:23   #18
Sour Lemonz

I would agree that nuts should be banned for those with allergies, however best of luck enforcing that.

There is milk substitutes with nuts, breads, meats, home cooked meals and so on which could have nuts, so totally eliminating them would be next to impossible.

Most you could achieve is a ban on bringing bags of nuts or nut bars on school grounds. However if it ever got out that a child had an allergy and they were target of bullies or put under peer pressure to do something they don't and shouldn't have to do then this also exposes a gravely concerning area where others could bring nuts or products with nuts onto school grounds which could result in serious consequences.
09-10-2019, 18:26   #19
Gatling

It's one of those things ,

I've seen parents in schools declare their kids have serious nut allergies and wheat allergies only to send in bread and chocolate spread in lunches while demanding that other Kids lunches be restricted ,

If they have a genuine diagnosis there shouldn't be an issue but you can't make a school environment 100% sterlile
Thanks from:
09-10-2019, 18:26   #20
Duane Dibbley

no there shouldn’t be a ban on nuts in schools.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 18:27   #21
Sottol

If the school has gone to the effort to communicate this with parents they obviously have a good reason. Don’t be an a$$ and think you’re above it.
If you want to be selfish and won’t comply move your children elsewhere
(2) thanks from:
09-10-2019, 18:29   #22
Yer Da sells Avon

"Political correctness gone mad, that's what it is. If my child wants to eat something that could potentially kill another child, then by God, I'll defend to the death (the other child's death, obviously) his right to do so."
09-10-2019, 18:29   #23
Peatys

If your kids are that strung out for nuts, you've bigger problems.
Thanks from:
09-10-2019, 18:31   #24
byhookorbycrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Lemonz View Post
I would agree that nuts should be banned for those with allergies, however best of luck enforcing that.

There is milk substitutes with nuts, breads, meats, home cooked meals and so on which could have nuts, so totally eliminating them would be next to impossible.

Most you could achieve is a ban on bringing bags of nuts or nut bars on school grounds. However if it ever got out that a child had an allergy and they were target of bullies or put under peer pressure to do something they don't and shouldn't have to do then this also exposes a gravely concerning area where others could bring nuts or products with nuts onto school grounds which could result in serious consequences.
Our school (490 children) has a total nut ban. No problem, because all of our parents are good in this regard, you'd want to be a particular kind of gobdaw like the OP to endanger other children's lives.

Bullies bringing nuts in as a threat is, frankly, hilarious. Do you have primary age children? (Maybe the OP's kids if they have any, might, but otherwise

And funnily enough, children who have serious allergic reactions don't feel the need to bow to peer pressure to put themselves at risk of death.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 18:34   #25
Emmersonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcheese View Post
Why wouldn't you?
A nut allergy can be a very serious thing, and kids can do stupid stuff...
Smoking is a very dangerous habit both for the smoker and those inhaling the exhaled filth. Should'nt smoking be totally banned.
09-10-2019, 18:36   #26
Princess Calla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr_Dougal View Post
Why were there no nut allergies in schools years ago?
Apart from bars containing nuts like snickers and trackers etc. The only time I ever remember nuts being available was holloween.

Just because it wasn't as widely known as it is today doesn't mean it never existed.

As a meme said, Pluto was only discovered in the 1930s but I'm pretty certain is was around before then!!

To be honest I really don't see what the big inconvenience is. A child could die! I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for that.
09-10-2019, 18:36   #27
road_high

How we survived primary school from the late 80s to mid 90s without any of this namby pamby nanny state stuff is still a mystery to me. Allergies etc seemed to be almost unheard of
09-10-2019, 18:38   #28
Strumms

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_syco View Post
What about people who are deadly allergic to bee stings? Should the schools not have flowers?

That’s ridiculous, just ban bees. Put up a sign...

I think the common sense things would be to educate kids regarding the allergy and allergy’s in general so it’s not just put in context of this one kid... ban peanuts from being eaten in lunch / classroom but anyone who has the want for nuts can eat them in the yard, kind of a common sense thing...
09-10-2019, 18:39   #29
byhookorbycrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_high View Post
How we survived primary school from the late 80s to mid 90s without any of this namby pamby nanny state stuff is still a mystery to me. Allergies etc seemed to be almost unheard of
And so was dyslexia, dyspraxia, asthma etc.etc.etc.
(2) thanks from:
09-10-2019, 18:39   #30
Plumbthedepths

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_high View Post
Actually it would be more down to not knowing what the medical issue was and recording the consequences as unknown.
Thread Closed