Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-10-2019, 14:42   #16
Brendan Bendar

Louise O Reilly on the motor mouth run.

How does that person even breathe, like Katie Taylor on speed.

Slow the fcuk down for JAysus sake.

Poor Aine trying to find a gap in the diatribe.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-10-2019, 14:43   #17
HorrorScope
Banned

And the smokes get hit with another increase - surely reaching a point of utter pointlessness now? The black market is exploding and more and more people are simply bringing duty free back rather than pay the extortionate prices here.

I'm sure the revenue made from tobacco sales is not an insubstantial figure, but they might start seriously regretting all these billy big bollix increases when it starts taking a serious nosedive.
08-10-2019, 14:43   #18
lleti
Banned

Hopefully that's Paschals last budget.
08-10-2019, 14:45   #19
punisher5112

Nearly a billion sent out as aid to some of the richest countries in the world.....

More money for hap...

More money for the influx of refugees that are mainly coming from countries that have absolutely no war or issues that should be the reason of trying to flee.
08-10-2019, 14:48   #20
Brendan Bendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
Nearly a billion sent out as aid to some of the richest countries in the world.....

More money for hap...

More money for the influx of refugees that are mainly coming from countries that have absolutely no war or issues that should be the reason of trying to flee.
Could you perhaps give a few links or back up for those points?
Advertisement
08-10-2019, 14:48   #21
$hifty

Quote:
Nearly a billion sent out as aid to some of the richest countries in the world......
....such as?
Thanks from:
08-10-2019, 14:50   #22
Fr_Dougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorScope View Post
And the smokes get hit with another increase - surely reaching a point of utter pointlessness now? The black market is exploding and more and more people are simply bringing duty free back rather than pay the extortionate prices here.

I'm sure the revenue made from tobacco sales is not an insubstantial figure, but they might start seriously regretting all these billy big bollix increases when it starts taking a serious nosedive.
Yup, that’s what I’m doing anyhow. Weekends away in mainland Europe instead of Ireland, bring back lots of smokes. Double hit as I’m spending less money in Ireland. Have probably bought 5 packs of cigarettes in Ireland this year.

Buying 2 cartons of smokes abroad would save me €100+.
(2) thanks from:
08-10-2019, 14:53   #23
knipex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assetbacked View Post
No change to corporate tax but no change to the loopholes enabling the big MNCs pay effectively 0% tax.
Were the bulk of them not closed over the last few years ??
(3) thanks from:
08-10-2019, 14:55   #24
Stevieluvsye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr_Dougal View Post
Yup, that’s what I’m doing anyhow. Weekends away in mainland Europe instead of Ireland, bring back lots of smokes. Double hit as I’m spending less money in Ireland. Have probably bought 5 packs of cigarettes in Ireland this year.

Yep, me also. And generally have someone from the family who'll be away at any given time to stock up for me also
Advertisement
08-10-2019, 14:58   #25
Cina

Quote:

More money for hap...

This is pure nonsense.
08-10-2019, 14:58   #26
AMKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr_Dougal View Post

Sure you can save that €100+ for when you inevitable get cancer so you can go private to get cured. I am not and would not wish cancer on anyone but that is what you and every other smoker not to mention some unlucky passive smokers will end up with if you keep smoking. There is nothing good about it its disgusting and throwing cigarette butts on the ground is littering. Whats so hard about putting it in a cigarette tray or a bin if its safe to do so?
08-10-2019, 15:00   #27
Srameen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthclare View Post
Looks like this budget is going to take another tenner or possibly 20 out of our pockets a week...

So in the last ten years we're all down around 5200 a year ....

Well done Paschal

Good man

Environmentally friendly jobs, therefore filling the pocket's of the people who invested their money in wind turbines etc

Don't tell Jimmy and Mary you need a diesel engine to get them going, or the amount of tonnes of environmental unfriendly organic lubricant it takes to keep them serviced....

Yep
I don't know how you're doing your maths but you'd have to be driving a real gas guzzler while smoking 40 cigarettes a day and not be a tax payer yet not on social welfare, to be down that kind of money this year or in any of the past ten years. Most of the carbon charges don't even kick in until next May.
Thanks from:
08-10-2019, 15:03   #28
punisher5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Bendar View Post
Could you perhaps give a few links or back up for those points?
Africa is one.... Yes there is poverty but the ones running the country are rolling in it and don't be mistaken, where do you think the aid money goes....

You only have to look back where €4 million went missing and that's only a drop in the ocean....

Oil rich countries but the poor are not helped one bit by their own government.
Thanks from:
08-10-2019, 15:03   #29
punisher5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cina View Post
This is pure nonsense.
Prove me wrong then.
08-10-2019, 15:04   #30
PinotNero

I'm old, gimme gimme gimme!
Thanks from:

Quick Reply