Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Budget 2020, Another tenner or is it twenty

• 08-10-2019 1:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭

Looks like this budget is going to take another tenner or possibly 20 out of our pockets a week...

So in the last ten years we're all down around 5200 a year ....

Well done Paschal

Good man

Environmentally friendly jobs, therefore filling the pocket's of the people who invested their money in wind turbines etc

Don't tell Jimmy and Mary you need a diesel engine to get them going, or the amount of tonnes of environmental unfriendly organic lubricant it takes to keep them serviced....

Yep

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Thanks to our economics correspondent, nthclare for that report there.

Here's Bob with a roundup of today's sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,306 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It was already well known that it was going to be grim budget, but given the uncertainty ahead it's probably the best course of action. We'll just suck it up as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Hopefully this will be the first of many fiscally responsible budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Still wondering why they have a double dole at Christmas when most businesses in retail and warehousing cant hire staff fast enough in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

nthclare wrote: »
    Looks like this budget is going to take another tenner or possibly 20 out of our pockets a week...

Well done Paschal

Was Paschal in Fianna Fail 10 years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,306 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Still wondering why they have a double dole at Christmas when most businesses in retail and warehousing cant hire staff fast enough in December.

Something something the most vulnerable ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Because:
    €365 million will also be provided for extra Social Protection expenditure, the D is told.

Why should they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

We cant have our useless dole spongers going without at Christmas. Never mind the poor gob****e getting up to go to work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Story pascal, what’s the score. Or more pertinently where is it

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

blame the system

too much hassle for a few weeks work

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Thanks to our economics correspondent, nthclare for that report there.

Here's Bob with a roundup of today's sport.

lol love it, I'm not very sporty
    But I'm glad my post gave you some sport and inspiration for such a classic comeback...

Best response to any of my post's ever, I was sitting in the canteen picked up the phone and had a great laugh.

Very 80's or 90's humour

You got in before bertieshorse :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd love to get double pay for Christmas week. Wonder would my employer go for it. Amount of tax I pay on it would surely cover at least the guts of one lifetime doler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

No indication that a revised budget will be brought in should Brexit occur with a deal or not occur at all, in both instances the economy will continue to grow.

Utter plebs FG. No change to corporate tax but no change to the loopholes enabling the big MNCs pay effectively 0% tax.

Paschal Donohue and the FG party should be hung from the gates of the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,034 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Louise O Reilly on the motor mouth run.

How does that person even breathe, like Katie Taylor on speed.

Slow the fcuk down for JAysus sake.

Poor Aine trying to find a gap in the diatribe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

And the smokes get hit with another increase - surely reaching a point of utter pointlessness now? The black market is exploding and more and more people are simply bringing duty free back rather than pay the extortionate prices here.

I'm sure the revenue made from tobacco sales is not an insubstantial figure, but they might start seriously regretting all these billy big bollix increases when it starts taking a serious nosedive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Hopefully that's Paschals last budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Nearly a billion sent out as aid to some of the richest countries in the world.....

More money for hap...

More money for the influx of refugees that are mainly coming from countries that have absolutely no war or issues that should be the reason of trying to flee.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,034 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nearly a billion sent out as aid to some of the richest countries in the world.....

More money for hap...

More money for the influx of refugees that are mainly coming from countries that have absolutely no war or issues that should be the reason of trying to flee.

Could you perhaps give a few links or back up for those points?

Nearly a billion sent out as aid to some of the richest countries in the world......

....such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

And the smokes get hit with another increase - surely reaching a point of utter pointlessness now? The black market is exploding and more and more people are simply bringing duty free back rather than pay the extortionate prices here.

I'm sure the revenue made from tobacco sales is not an insubstantial figure, but they might start seriously regretting all these billy big bollix increases when it starts taking a serious nosedive.

Yup, that’s what I’m doing anyhow. Weekends away in mainland Europe instead of Ireland, bring back lots of smokes. Double hit as I’m spending less money in Ireland. Have probably bought 5 packs of cigarettes in Ireland this year.

Buying 2 cartons of smokes abroad would save me €100+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

No change to corporate tax but no change to the loopholes enabling the big MNCs pay effectively 0% tax.

Were the bulk of them not closed over the last few years ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Yup, that’s what I’m doing anyhow. Weekends away in mainland Europe instead of Ireland, bring back lots of smokes. Double hit as I’m spending less money in Ireland. Have probably bought 5 packs of cigarettes in Ireland this year.

Yep, me also. And generally have someone from the family who'll be away at any given time to stock up for me also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

More money for hap...

This is pure nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Sure you can save that €100+ for when you inevitable get cancer so you can go private to get cured. I am not and would not wish cancer on anyone but that is what you and every other smoker not to mention some unlucky passive smokers will end up with if you keep smoking. There is nothing good about it its disgusting and throwing cigarette butts on the ground is littering. Whats so hard about putting it in a cigarette tray or a bin if its safe to do so?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

nthclare wrote: »

Well done Paschal

Good man

Environmentally friendly jobs, therefore filling the pocket's of the people who invested their money in wind turbines etc

Don't tell Jimmy and Mary you need a diesel engine to get them going, or the amount of tonnes of environmental unfriendly organic lubricant it takes to keep them serviced....

Yep

I don't know how you're doing your maths but you'd have to be driving a real gas guzzler while smoking 40 cigarettes a day and not be a tax payer yet not on social welfare, to be down that kind of money this year or in any of the past ten years. Most of the carbon charges don't even kick in until next May.

Could you perhaps give a few links or back up for those points?

Africa is one.... Yes there is poverty but the ones running the country are rolling in it and don't be mistaken, where do you think the aid money goes....

You only have to look back where €4 million went missing and that's only a drop in the ocean....

Oil rich countries but the poor are not helped one bit by their own government.

Cina wrote: »
    This is pure nonsense.

Prove me wrong then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

I'm old, gimme gimme gimme!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Murof

AMKC wrote: »
    Sure you can save that €100+ for when you inevitable get cancer so you can go private to get cured. I am not and would not wish cancer on anyone but that is what you and every other smoker not to mention some unlucky passive smokers will end up with if you keep smoking. There is nothing good about it its disgusting and throwing cigarette butts on the ground is littering. Whats so hard about putting it in a cigarette tray or a bin if its safe to do so?
    Calm down there, Dr. Quinn Medicine woman. :rolleyes:

Mind your own business. What people do to their bodies is their business, not yours.

• Advertisement

Cina wrote: »
    This is pure nonsense.

Is there a war in Africa?
    India?
    Albania?

Advertisement