Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Do you believe in God
Yes 145 24.17%
No 455 75.83%
Voters: 600. You may not vote on this poll

28-09-2019, 09:03   #61
donkeykong5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makikomi View Post
Fry is a stupid person’s idea of a clever person.
One of the biggest saps going.
Advertisement
28-09-2019, 09:05   #62
Guy:Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
The whole thing about the Christian God is that you're not meant to know what hes up to or why.
That's convenient....
28-09-2019, 09:08   #63
Canis Lupus

Quote:
The whole thing about the Christian God is that you're not meant to know what hes up to or why.
Only when something bad happens because no one can explain why a loving god gives a child bone cancer.
Thanks from:
28-09-2019, 09:09   #64
chooey

I really hope there is. I would love to think I’d meet my mam again. Still not sure though.
Thanks from:
28-09-2019, 09:11   #65
El_Duderino 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woke Hogan View Post
I do respect that many people are desperate for comfort as they come close to death but ultimately there's no reason in my view to believe in god.
He said, eating children’s cereal out of his neck beard and drinking an energy drink and sofa masturbating himself into unconsciousness.

How do you know that atheists are as you describe above. If you don’t believe in the gods, you’re an atheist. Just by definition, whether you identify as atheist or not. No need for all the imaginary derogatory stuff.

Last edited by El_Duderino 09; 28-09-2019 at 09:18.
Advertisement
28-09-2019, 09:17   #66
Montage of Feck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
No. Its illogical that a god could exist when terrible things happen to innocent people. If that's what God is I want no part of it.
Maybe God just doesn't give a **** or follows a non interventionist policy.
28-09-2019, 09:18   #67
JohnnyFlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino 09 View Post
He said, eating children’s cereal out of his neck beard and drinking an energy drink and soda masturbating himself into unconsciousness.

How do you know that atheists are as you describe above. If you don’t believe in the gods, you’re an atheist. Just by definition, whether you identify as atheist or not. No need for all the imaginary derogatory stuff.
There’s an impression that a lot of online atheist sorts probably look a bit like this:

2013 wrx 0 60
(4) thanks from:
28-09-2019, 09:20   #68
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Lupus View Post
Quote:
Only when something bad happens because no one can explain why a loving god gives a child bone cancer.
Something about free will, the kid obviously chose to contact the disease
28-09-2019, 09:20   #69
Guy:Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montage of Feck View Post
What's so great about such a **** and why should people spend their lives following them?

Also, why is such a non interventionist policy seen as evil when its rich people not using their money to improve the lives of the poor?
Advertisement
28-09-2019, 09:21   #70
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montage of Feck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
No. Its illogical that a god could exist when terrible things happen to innocent people. If that's what God is I want no part of it.
Then stop expecting credit if Ireland win the world Cup or I pass my driving test
28-09-2019, 09:24   #71
Lewis_Benson

No.
28-09-2019, 09:28   #72
Dampsquid

I don't believe in God, not since i was 15/16 i'd say - a little bit like santa, even when i knew he wasn't real, i still wanted to believe for a while.

I don't have much respect for intelligent people who still believe, it amazes me that some top scientists, especially America's would still have a strong faith. We have a strong theory for how life started on the earth.

Adults spending 1 hour a week in a church worshiping a God, unbelievable - for all the crap in the world and they still think someone who has created this should be worshiped? I know people who bless themselves as they drive past a church, taking hands of wheel and risking themselves or someone else if something unexpected happened - crazy.

If you respect people who are religious, would you still respect someone who worships the sun or the moon?
(2) thanks from:
28-09-2019, 09:28   #73
suicide_circus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
Fry is a stupid person’s idea of a clever person.
having listened to his autobiographies (plural) on audiobook, he'd be the first to agree with you.
Thanks from:
28-09-2019, 09:29   #74
Squall Leonhart

Up until my late teens I had a stronger belief in God than most of my peers.

Then somehow somewhere by 20 it had totally fallen apart and flipped on its head. I was a vehement denier of the possibility. My attitude became arrogant and disrespectful, I couldn't understand how intelligent people believed in the bullsh<i>i</i>t. I scoffed at devout people smug in my new found knowledge that God was for fools.

Nothing in particular happened to lead me to that switch in belief.

Now in my 30s that view has softened and I'm a little embarrassed about the militant views I had as a new atheist in my early 20s. I still do not believe in God, but more open to the possibility of something, yet totally unconvinced.

I still absolutely disagree with organised religion, and religion in general. For me the fact that the geography of your birth largely dictates your religion renders it moot. Born in Saudi Arabia? 99% chance you're Muslim. Born in China? 75% chance you're non religious. Born in Phoenician times? You probably worship Baal. It's too arbitrary.

However, I respect the beliefs of many and have adopted a live and let live view.

Most Irish who identify as Catholic are "cultural Catholics" rather than practicing. I do take issue with this. If you do not believe in any of the philosophies or ethos of your club, how can you still claim membership?

This business of "I don't believe in God, but got married in a church and baptised my children" bothers me. If we all keep doing these things, secular options for those who want them will not be available, because of a false positive high number of catholics in the country. To those who believe in it, more power to them, and why wouldn't they partake in all rituals and ceremonies and involve their families in same?

I do not like the arguments trotted out about paedophiles and genocides and atrocities as a "if there is a god, then why...", because its a bit of a nonsense. There could conceivably be a creator without there being a "manager". Many men bring a child into the world and have no involvement in the child's life. People in an organisation can do terrible things but it's not really in my opinion a valid reason to dismiss the whole organisation. I know many good priests, honest good men who don't deserve to wear the wrongs of others as their own, yet they do because of some ignorant people's approach.

It's a complicated business! I don't believe in God, but part of me wishes I still did, that I never lost faith.
28-09-2019, 09:31   #75
Fuaranach

Quote:
Pot, kettle?

I don't personally believe in god, take no issue with those that do believe in god and do believe that religion enriches the lives of many people. I do take issue with those that those that try to impose their religious beliefs on me or my family and will kick back when this happens.
I wish we could have a ban on everybody who tries to impose their commercial and political interests/the now all-pervasive god of incessant consumerism on us - an imposition which is infinitely more prevalent in 2019 than anything a religious institution is imposing upon us.

Bar a few genuine radicals of the Jimmy Gralton variety, Irish people don't have a good record for speaking up against wrongdoing in their day; they're fine with focusing on wrongdoing once it's in the past, though. Will it take 50 or so years for people to realise the wide range of environmental destruction which consumerism and its incessant invention of all sorts of "needs" is creating?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion