Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Do you believe in God
Yes 153 24.60%
No 469 75.40%
Voters: 622. You may not vote on this poll

28-09-2019, 08:45   #46
Tipsy McSwagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy:Incognito View Post
Ah right, we're not allowed question people on posts on a message board.

Although, to be fair, that's standard enough for religion. " just believe what we tell you and don't question us"
Question what? Why not just respect someone’s right to believe in something that makes them happy?
Advertisement
28-09-2019, 08:45   #47
Mousewar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makikomi View Post
And there are as many comic book superhero's as there are god's, so which is the best god to believe it?.
Well that's an entirely different point.
I'd venture though that just because you call someone Michael and someone else calls him Mick, it doesn't mean they're two different people.
28-09-2019, 08:47   #48
basillarkin

which one
28-09-2019, 08:48   #49
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsy McSwagger View Post
Poster is just giving her answer, doesn’t need to get into a debate.
amen! Thank you.
(2) thanks from:
28-09-2019, 08:51   #50
Graces7

Quote:
Question what? Why not just respect someone’s right to believe in something that makes them happy?
Absolutely; and I never mentioned religion. The question asked if I believed in GOD, not religion.

I have no quarrel with anyone. My belief is in God.

As the thread asked so did I answer!

End of. Over and out from me on this.

Last edited by Graces7; 28-09-2019 at 08:54.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-09-2019, 08:52   #51
Guy:Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
You weren't questioning her. You were questioning someone elses motives through her.
Do someone else's motives and actions have no bearing on what you think of them or whether you believe they are good (or exist at all)?

The bible definition of god and the world around us ( going right back in time so not just a
"Modern godless times" ) would leave anyone that isn't a blind fanatic with the opinion that god is some sort of cruel, evil syco. All the power to to have a glorious earth for people to exist in happiness but instead goes the Evil zoo owner route that allows the animals to starve , kill each other and suffer for their lives.
28-09-2019, 08:53   #52
Hannibal_Smith

Quote:
I don't get this. Why can you not have a discussion about a belief in God, without this card being pulled out? Why is questioning whether God exists an automatic mark of disrespect to someone?
28-09-2019, 08:53   #53
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildare lad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Junior View Post
I believe in God. I also believe the fundamentals of all organised religions is to treat others with kindness, empathy and respect including yourself. Many people don't have God or any God in their lives in these times and society isn't better for it.
But do you need to believe in God to show kindness and respect people . I don't believe in God and yet I treat people fine. You get your values from your parents . Look at American society the most religious one in the western world . And yet, they are as far away from Christian teaching as you can go . Love thy neighbour , no let's build a big wall . Thou shall not kill , they've been constantly at war killing people since the countries been created . Do not steal , tell that to the Indians. A camel has more chance of going through an eye of a needle than a rich man has of going to heaven. And yet Americans love money , it's the most capitalist society in the world. I'm just making an example that a lot of religious people are some of the biggest hypocrites in the world .
The USA was founded on a Protestant ethos, viewing poverty as more virtuous is a Catholic thing
28-09-2019, 08:53   #54

Quote:
It's a discussion forum.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-09-2019, 08:53   #55
The White Wolf

Quote:
LOL, no.

No more than I believe Spiderman exists based on a fictional comic book guy.

But if it makes someone feel better to believe in a god (isn't there something like 3000 of them?) and it gives some kind of comfort to them well who am I to tell them otherwise.
Now that's more like Dawkins.
(2) thanks from:
28-09-2019, 08:55   #56
nthclare

Quote:
That's a valid point, but there's where the total contradiction comes from the atheists, they'll debate about something which doesn't exist.

Go into their forum in A+A you'll find them all thanking each other and ganging up rather than being civil, they're like a bunch of angry wasps swarming around ready to sting....

Look I've no problems with people slagging off versions of God and woo

But telling people they're delusional and blaming the lay members of the church on all the scandal etc

It all goes back to different times, no fckin way would the hierarchy in the church get away with their lust for power sex and greed nowadays...

It's all about timing and the fear factor...
(2) thanks from:
28-09-2019, 08:55   #57

Quote:
Poster is just giving her answer, doesn’t need to get into a debate.
Because if you actually look at god properly, the whole thing falls apart?

It relies on blind faith.
(2) thanks from:
28-09-2019, 08:59   #58
JohnnyFlash

Quote:
Fry is a stupid person’s idea of a clever person.
28-09-2019, 09:01   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
Fry is a stupid person’s idea of a clever person.
Should be easy to answer the questions so......
(7) thanks from:
28-09-2019, 09:03   #60
Dravokivich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy:Incognito View Post
Do someone else's motives and actions have no bearing on what you think of them or whether you believe they are good (or exist at all)?

The bible definition of god and the world around us ( going right back in time so not just a
"Modern godless times" ) would leave anyone that isn't a blind fanatic with the opinion that god is some sort of cruel, evil syco. All the power to to have a glorious earth for people to exist in happiness but instead goes the Evil zoo owner route that allows the animals to starve , kill each other and suffer for their lives.
The whole thing about the Christian God is that you're not meant to know what hes up to or why.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion