Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Do you believe in God
Yes 142 23.99%
No 450 76.01%
Voters: 592. You may not vote on this poll

28-09-2019, 03:57   #1
Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo's Avatar

Do you believe in God?

I'd like to think I do. Light candles in a church for people that have passed away in my life. And I certainly identify as an Irish Catholic for ethnicity purposes.

Having said that, I'm firmly of the belief that when you die you're absolutely gone. If an afterlife does exist, it makes no sense how anyone would actually know what it's like there.

The church have been responsible for the most heinous crimes against individuals since the state got independence. And suicide bombers are mostly influenced by religion to carry out what they do.

I think I believe in God, but not in religion, while also thinking an afterlife doesn't exist.

Last edited by Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo; 28-09-2019 at 04:55.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-09-2019, 04:02   #2
Uriel.

I'm a bit like yourself, I want to believe but in truth I'm not sure I do. In a way I'm clinging on to custom and tradition as much as faith. I'd like to think however that we aspire to more than just a short existence on earth and then buried in the clay. I hope there is some form of aferlife. But probably not. I've a, probably irrational, fear of death and nothingness so I think I cling into a little bit of belief to reassure myself that there's more to come
28-09-2019, 06:12   #3
Woke Hogan

It's as much a part of the human condition to hope against hope for life after "the end" as it is to, say, participate in or watch sport. Virtually every society has believed in some sort of deity or afterlife, after all.

That's why I despise the obese, sneering internet atheists you will find on websites like this. The kind who giggle into their braided goatees about space teapots or flying spaghetti monsters. Their claims to be operating on a higher intellectual plain instead of jogging or believing in the supernatural rings a little hollow to myself when you see them indulging in their basest urges: sitting and eating processed food until they pass out. The kind with exotic colours and cartoon characters on the packaging.

I do respect that many people are desperate for comfort as they come close to death but ultimately there's no reason in my view to believe in god.
28-09-2019, 07:15   #4
HappyAsLarE

Nobody believes in God. If they did believe there was a all knowing being that would judge us at the end for our sins then they would be much better people.

I know God doesn’t exist, but I try to live like he does.
28-09-2019, 07:25   #5
James Bond Junior

I believe in God. I also believe the fundamentals of all organised religions is to treat others with kindness, empathy and respect including yourself. Many people don't have God or any God in their lives in these times and society isn't better for it.
Advertisement
28-09-2019, 07:32   #6
PsychoPete

No
28-09-2019, 07:39   #7
kildare lad

There could be but I doubt it , there's too much injustice in the world for a god. Look at the Catholic Church , the biggest organisation of child molesters in history . Do you think if there was a god, he would just sit back and watch all his spokes people on Earth , rape and molest young boys for centuries and do nothing about it.
Say you were Jewish , would you not find it hard to believe in a god after ww2 . 6 million Jews were killed in gas chambers , it wasn't god that stopped it , it was allied soldiers.
I hate when you read about someone having an accident and they thank God for saving them . What about all the doctors , nurses and emergency crews that helped??
There's been thousands of different gods since time began. Who's to say our God is the only god and rest are made up. There's about as much evidence for them all .... None
28-09-2019, 07:42   #8
yosser hughes

I have a question for you OP. You say you believe in God, light candles for people etc. So you must believe therefore that God can intervene in our lives? Do you also believe then that God is all seeing?
Do you live your life believing God can see what you do?
28-09-2019, 07:44   #9
Joeseph Balls

No, but I respect others beliefs and don't feel the need to put a label on myself either
Advertisement
28-09-2019, 07:46   #11
eviltwin

No. Its illogical that a god could exist when terrible things happen to innocent people. If that's what God is I want no part of it.
28-09-2019, 07:48   #12
Fuaranach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo View Post
Do you believe in God?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woke Hogan View Post
That's why I despise the obese
Hilariously consistent once again, Woke.

28-09-2019, 07:49   #13
Soulsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildare lad View Post
There could be but I doubt it , there's too much injustice in the world for a god. Look at the Catholic Church , the biggest organisation of child molesters in history . Do you think if there was a god, he would just sit back and watch all his spokes people on Earth , rape and molest young boys for centuries and do nothing about it.
Say you were Jewish , would you not find it hard to believe in a god after ww2 . 6 million Jews were killed in gas chambers , it wasn't god that stopped it , it was allied soldiers.
I hate when you read about someone having an accident and they thank God for saving them . What about all the doctors , nurses and emergency crews that helped??
There's been thousands of different gods since time began. Who's to say our God is the only god and rest are made up. There's about as much evidence for them all .... None

You sound very much like George Carlin here lol
Agreed 100%
28-09-2019, 07:49   #14
The White Wolf

I did up until I was 19, when a couple of things happened that broke my faith.

I'm going against the grain here by saying I'm worse off without it. That's the truth for me personally.
28-09-2019, 07:50   #15
Graces7

Totally, unequivocally and with all my heart, soul and every part of my being.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion