Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-06-2019, 23:42   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of Netflix View Post
BS when Seamus McGrane died recently loyalists were salivating online even Rangers fans in Scotland spewing bile....

And it was even worse when Martin McElkerney killed himself in May. It was like Christmas in PUL circles. Its actually a very regular thing from PUL community.
I'd bet republicans/nationalists are the more forgiving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers Man View Post
He will be missed.
By fellow hardline loyalists indeed.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-06-2019, 00:04   #62
andekwarhola

Amidst all the homilies, it should be pointed out that to be as spectacularly unreconstructed as Frazier in the current NI era, where even old loyalist firebrands like Paisley - optics or otherwise - went into Stormont with Marty and even Arlene hides behind a patina of inclusivity - suggests that his background was merely an accoutrement to his mindset rather than the actuation.

My honest feeling is that the Republicans publicy being sanctimonious about 'respect' are just engaging in some kind of unctuous decency oneupmanship wth Loyalists and that they are all gleefuly sharing Willie Death memes in whataspp groups.

Last edited by andekwarhola; 29-06-2019 at 00:09.
Thanks from:
29-06-2019, 00:23   #63
armaghlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by andekwarhola View Post
Amidst all the homilies, it should be pointed out that to be as spectacularly
My honest feeling is that the Republicans publicy being sanctimonious about 'respect' are just engaging in some kind of unctuous decency oneupmanship wth Loyalists and that they are all gleefuly sharing Willie Death memes in whataspp groups.
Hmm, you’re well off the mark. As a Republican, I despised the man and anyone who shared his views (most Loyalists); am I happy he’s dead? No. I won’t lose any sleep either don’t get me wrong, but I think you’re barking up the wrong tree. Most people, other than the band of nutjobs who subscribed to Willie’s brand of extreme Loyalism are indifferent to his passing but are offering sympathy to his widow and remaining family
(5) thanks from:
29-06-2019, 00:38   #64
PressRun

Never understood the "both sides were as bad as each other" stuff. Republican violence, as extreme as it was, was born out of genuine mistreatment at the hands of police, British army and loyalist politicians who wanted desperately to sustain the status quo and treat nationalists as second class citizens. Willie Frazer was one of those people. I accept the hurt and anger he must have carried as a result of losing his father, but he was determined to drag things backwards and had no intention of meeting anyone halfway and honestly that is representative of a lot of those involved in the DUP and suchlike. They don't want to talk to anyone or compromise on anything. Republicans have been far more willing to sit at the negotiating table over the years. Hardcore loyalists have poisoned the discourse more often than not and the sooner they disappear from the scene the better.
29-06-2019, 00:52   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressRun View Post
Never understood the "both sides were as bad as each other" stuff.
Even Kevin Myers - that mouthpiece for republicanism - has conceded that that's bollox.

People here in the republic feel obliged to be more scathing of republicanism (even, as I said, being forgiving of David Ervine but not Martin McGuinness) - maybe in order to show how distanced they are from it, but sometimes due, I suspect, to being just not that informed, and buying the narrative that the conflict was pretty much republican derived.
Advertisement
29-06-2019, 01:50   #66
Banned

Willie’s outlook was shaped by the fact that his father, two uncles, two cousins and a brother-in-law were all murdered by republicans during the Troubles. Willie Frazer may have been a vocal campaigner for victims of Republican violence, but as someone else said, he never pulled a trigger or planted a bomb in his life - that is what the real divisive people did. The truly divisive people are the one that divided families by pulling the trigger and planting bombs, they are the ones that left empty chairs at kitchen tables.
(2) thanks from:
29-06-2019, 02:29   #67
simongurnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by janfebmar View Post
Willie’s outlook was shaped by the fact that his father, two uncles, two cousins and a brother-in-law were all murdered by republicans during the Troubles. Willie Frazer may have been a vocal campaigner for victims of Republican violence, but as someone else said, he never pulled a trigger or planted a bomb in his life - that is what the real divisive people did. The truly divisive people are the one that divided families by pulling the trigger and planting bombs, they are the ones that left empty chairs at kitchen tables.
The rhetoric encourages others to kill though...similar to paisley. No loss.
(3) thanks from:
29-06-2019, 02:45   #68
Woodsie1

jesus AH standards are slipping....I thought it was all bout the meme's

(3) thanks from:
29-06-2019, 07:47   #69
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme A Pound View Post
Even Kevin Myers - that mouthpiece for republicanism - has conceded that that's bollox.

People here in the republic feel obliged to be more scathing of republicanism (even, as I said, being forgiving of David Ervine but not Martin McGuinness) - maybe in order to show how distanced they are from it, but sometimes due, I suspect, to being just not that informed, and buying the narrative that the conflict was pretty much republican derived.
Not a SF voter but the southern media has always demanded far too little of unionism, unionism has never been expected to atone for anything
Advertisement
29-06-2019, 08:01   #70
Peatys

Quote:
Originally Posted by andekwarhola View Post
Amidst all the homilies, it should be pointed out that to be as spectacularly unreconstructed as Frazier in the current NI era, where even old loyalist firebrands like Paisley - optics or otherwise - went into Stormont with Marty and even Arlene hides behind a patina of inclusivity - suggests that his background was merely an accoutrement to his mindset rather than the actuation.

Grammerly can only fix so much
29-06-2019, 08:42   #71
Yamanoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of Netflix View Post
BS when Seamus McGrane died recently loyalists were salivating online even Rangers fans in Scotland spewing bile....

And it was even worse when Martin McElkerney killed himself in May. It was like Christmas in PUL circles. Its actually a very regular thing from PUL community.
Ignore them so, rather than fetishising such sorry goings on.
29-06-2019, 08:45   #72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simongurnick View Post
The rhetoric encourages others to kill though...similar to paisley. No loss.
He was a victims campaigner and had 6 close relatives killed / murdered by Republicans. He highlighted the campaign of ethnic cleansing along the border, and many death threats were made against him. Do you think the Kingsmill atrocity was right, when 10 innocent protestants were murdered, was right for example?
29-06-2019, 08:51   #73
Yamanoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme A Pound View Post
The Loyalist rabble never purported to commit acts of violence in our name.

Simple as.
29-06-2019, 08:58   #74
Fan of Netflix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by janfebmar View Post

He was a victims campaigner and had 6 close relatives killed / murdered by Republicans. He highlighted the campaign of ethnic cleansing along the border, and many death threats were made against him. Do you think the Kingsmill atrocity was right, when 10 innocent protestants were murdered, was right for example?

Ethnic cleansing ffs, do you know how laughable that sounds coming from loyalists. Ulster Plantation that was ethnic cleansing, and even now they celebrate it.
29-06-2019, 09:00   #75
Galwayguy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterchops View Post
No class at all, but there does seem to be quite a few hard-line Republicans on here, more than one would expect given their minority view.

When Adams dies many thousands North & South would be sorely tempted to rejoice, but hopefully most of us won't, even though he's a nasty piece of work to most of us (outside Republican circles).
Adams although he should admit he was in the IRA did quite a bit to get the peace process over the line, Frazer on the other hand was a waste of space who did nothing only spew hateful bile out of his mouth.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion