Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

saucepan with glass lid and hole

Options
  • 03-01-2021 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

I got saucepan with glass lid and a small hole in it. It sprays water when boiling potatoes .What is the idea of this? It is impossible to use

It is a saucepan not a slow cooker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

All mine have glass lids with small holes for steam to escape when boiling, I haven't had them spray water, are you overfilling it maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

phormium wrote: »
    All mine have glass lids with small holes for steam to escape when boiling, I haven't had them spray water, are you overfilling it maybe?
    don't think so..No more than other saucepans

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The saucepans with glass lids with steam holes are almost all made by Green Stone. But you won't see that brand name in the shops, they produce different styles of their cookware which are sold as 'own brand' by the major department store chains in the UK. Go into any TX-Maxx and you'll see a selection of them in the kitchen department, usually with minor variations in colour and/or the style of the handle.

The lid is relatively light so without the steam hole, it would rattle like hell when the water boils.

I have a 18 cm model (bought in Tesco) which I use for boiling pasta and spuds, I have never seen it spit liquid from the steam hole. Boiled a large batch of tagliatelle the other night and the water was up almost to the rim but not a drop was spat out.

OP, two questions....

1. Is your lid flat or dome shaped?

2. Has the water been boiled already (e.g. in a kettle) when you put it into the saucepan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Use this style of pot myself (brabantia) and never found it spraying water.

I'd always have the water below the level of the potatoes (just copying how my mum did it over the years) so possibly that's why.

coylemj wrote: »
    The saucepans with glass lids with steam holes are almost all made by Green Stone. But you won't see that brand name in the shops, they produce different styles of their cookware which are sold as 'own brand' by the major department store chains in the UK. Go into any TX-Maxx and you'll see a selection of them in the kitchen department, usually with minor variations in colour and/or the style of the handle.

The lid is relatively light so without the steam hole, it would rattle like hell when the water boils.

I have a 18 cm model (bought in Tesco) which I use for boiling pasta and spuds, I have never seen it spit liquid from the steam hole. Boiled a large batch of tagliatelle the other night and the water was up almost to the rim but not a drop was spat out.

OP, two questions....

1. Is your lid flat or dome shaped?

2. Has the water been boiled already (e.g. in a kettle) when you put it into the saucepan?
    Thanks i think mine is from tesco too. The water would not be boiled already. It is for spuds i use it. Wouldn't have water high and tried using low heat as possible It spits water over the floor, the counter beside the cooker and top of cooker. The shape of the lid is..... downstairs to check...:D... flat

• Advertisement

Darc19 wrote: »
    Use this style of pot myself (brabantia) and never found it spraying water.

I'd always have the water below the level of the potatoes (just copying how my mum did it over the years) so possibly that's why.
    i would just barely cover them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I have a frying pan with same top and is used to stop the fat from spitting and it lets the top of the food to cook quicker.

It also diverts hot gasses and steam away from you.Maybe you need a deeper pot so it does not happen or turn heat down.

It spits water over the floor, the counter beside the cooker and top of cooker.

Does the lid jump up and down (i.e. rattle) when the water is boiling? Any possibility the steam hole is blocked?

coylemj wrote: »
    Does the lid jump up and down (i.e. rattle) when the water is boiling? Any possibility the steam hole is blocked?
    Doesn't jump or rattle . Steam hole not blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

Does it just do it for potatoes? Have you tried it with anything else just to see, potato water can get a bit starchy and thickened so may not be turning to steam as easily as just plain water would, depending on type of potato etc.

• Advertisement

Does it just do it for potatoes? Have you tried it with anything else just to see, potato water can get a bit starchy and thickened so may not be turning to steam as easily as just plain water would, depending on type of potato etc.
    i only have it a short time so only spuds so far.

Can you stick up a photo in action.

.... potato water can get a bit starchy and thickened so may not be turning to steam as easily as just plain water would, depending on type of potato etc.

Even when I peel and quarter potatoes for mash, I’ve never seen any thickening of the water while they’re boiling. And certainly not to the extent that steam couldn’t escape through the hole in the lid. Unless I boil the crap out of them and they turn to mush.

Cooking tip: rinse spuds well after peeling them. To remove excess starch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

i only have it a short time so only spuds so far.

Does the lid have 2 sets of holes in it on the inner rim if its a smaller handle held saucepan? If so these should be aligned with the pouring spouts so as more pressure can be released.

I understood it to be pressure related - say like when you boil a kettle (cooker kettle for similarity) it boils like mad but water at the same temp in an open pot barely seems to simmer.

Maybe the starch is also making it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Do you turn down the heat to simmer when the water first comes to the boil?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Do you turn down the heat to simmer when the water first comes to the boil?
    yes

Does the lid have 2 sets of holes in it on the inner rim if its a smaller handle held saucepan? If so these should be aligned with the pouring spouts so as more pressure can be released.

I understood it to be pressure related - say like when you boil a kettle (cooker kettle for similarity) it boils like mad but water at the same temp in an open pot barely seems to simmer.

Maybe the starch is also making it worse.
    only one hole see attached

OP, what type of hob do you have? Some saucepans are not suitable for certain hobs.

Anytime my mother did spuds it was in a pot 6" tall and still it would over flow onto ring until turned down,good old aluninium pots and lids.Think your saucepan is not deep enough for spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Either the pan is too small for the amount being cooked, too much water being used or you're boiling on full power rather than turning it down and simmering. The hole in the lid has nothing to do with it, if the hole wasn't there the lid would be being blown off and there's be even more mess as the pan boils over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement