Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you could choose to experience one mental illness for a day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

1) Someone beat me to it but I would not say no to a day of the "up" side of Mania. Clearly the "down" side of it is awful and I would not want that for anyone even myself. But the bursts of creativity and energy and sociability and everything that comes with the "up" side of it would be interesting for a day.

2) I would like to believe some conspiracy theory or other nonsense for a day and _really_ be convinced by it. Just to get into the head space of people who really believe things there is absolutely no reason to actually believe. Can not imagine what that is actually like. Maybe just being strongly religious for a day would be enough to experience that mental illness of total self delusion.

3) Assuming the personalities could communicate with each other in some way - multiple personality disorder would be interesting for a day. Just to see what my brain could come out with and what each person would be like. But if it was a case of each personality entirely suppressed the others and was basically unaware of them - that would be a pointless experience.

I'd love to believe your post wasn't a dig at religious people and people interested in conspiracy theories :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

A severe bout of ADHD if that's a mental illness, or the high as a kite side of bipolar, or delusions of grandeur/everybody loves me/extazy pill type thing. Or male nympho. Or thinking I'm Napoleon/Bertie ahern..ha.ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Arghh... No offence but this rightly pisses me off.

Everyone suffers. Imagine how it must feel to genuinely believe you're being targeted, or followed, or watched. You and I can see that this is a delusion, but this is as real to them as though it were really, clearly happening. It's so real that it can cause some people to take their own lives. An enormous amount of people who suffer from schizophrenia take their own lives, it's easily the greatest contributor to premature mortality.

The delusion may not be real, but it might as well be for all the stress it causes.

You’re pissed off because someone pointed out that it’s those people around the person who is mentally ill who suffer, but you’re ok with asking what mental illness would people like to suffer from if they had the choice? The cause of their suffering has a lot to do with the fact that people with mental illnesses didn’t choose to be mentally ill in the first place!

Schizophrenia doesn’t always cause distress either btw, some people do learn to cope with it, completely unscientific of course which is why I could never see it’s widespread adoption, and it’s only useful in replacing one form of delusion with another that the person can cope with, ie generally milder forms of the condition -

Hearing Voices Movement

4) Full on expletive tourette for a day might be interesting to experience.
    Hedgelayer wrote: »
    I'd love to believe your post wasn't a dig at religious people and people interested in conspiracy theories :D

It is a genuine interest actually. I would love to be in that head space just enough to know what it is like. When I see people subscribing to an idea or belief that is seemingly entirely without any evidence at all - I genuinely do wonder what it is like to be that way.

It is interesting how the brain can create delusion to deal with inputs too for example. I just wrote about Capgrah syndrome on another thread. Here the brain creates a delusion - that people have been replaced with replicas - just so it can cope with a change in input to the brain. There is zero evidence of any kind that the patient has that the person is a replica. But they believe it anyway because their brain needs to just to cope with the "damage".

The brain is amazing. All told.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    but that awful fear and dread is there, you know everything is ok but you just feel really horrid.

That's the exact feeling I have when my missus picks up my phone to check something:D

I'm not sure if it counts as a mental illness, but I'd love to have synaesthesia - I experienced it very briefly on mushrooms once and it blew me away altogether. I'd love to have it full time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Noveight wrote: »
    Depression.

Thankfully I’ve never had a brush with it, but I’d like to have a greater understanding of it.

Honestly as someone who's had episodes of depression, I can't even understand it when I'm not depressed. You know when you recall past states of mind or emotional reactions your brain kind of gets an echo or facsimile of those feelings and you're like "oh yeah, that's how it felt to feel like that"? I find that my non depressed brain can't do that for depression. I can tell myself the details, crying upon waking, barely eating, having no access to pleasure or peace from anything in my life and feeling so guilty about worrying people, etc etc. It's just words though. Same as when I am depressed I cannot bloody conceive of not being depressed, I can't remember how it feels to enjoy something or want anything beyond a quilt to crawl under, it seems impossible.

I find it a useful mental health self check actually if I notice what might be other symptoms cropping up.

I don't think I'd want to experience any other mental illness for any length of time though, one's plenty ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

4) Full on expletive tourette for a day might be interesting to experience.

It is a genuine interest actually. I would love to be in that head space just enough to know what it is like. When I see people subscribing to an idea or belief that is seemingly entirely without any evidence at all - I genuinely do wonder what it is like to be that way.

It is interesting how the brain can create delusion to deal with inputs too for example. I just wrote about Capgrah syndrome on another thread. Here the brain creates a delusion - that people have been replaced with replicas - just so it can cope with a change in input to the brain. There is zero evidence of any kind that the patient has that the person is a replica. But they believe it anyway because their brain needs to just to cope with the "damage".

The brain is amazing. All told.

Yes the brain is indeed amazing.
    The amount of people out there caught up in new age spirituality is scary.

One guy I knows is a right nutjob.
    Say's that he hand's his Will and life over to his imaginary friend every morning.

So if he pisses anyone off or ****s someone over it's god's will that it happened.
    And God made him do it to teach that person he robbed blind a lesson, say doing a patio and charging some old lady 3 times his quote for the job.

Then it was god's will he decided to be a bollox, no responsibility whatsoever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Don't want to experience any type of mental illness. Years ago I smoked a tiny joint, and I was paranoid for a few days- thought I'd have to admit myself to a psychiatric ward. Felt completely detached from myself also. Scariest experience of my life. Killed my curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Dyschronometria.

why? for what reason?

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Nothing like a bit of auto erotic asphyxiation.

For 24 hours?

Id give any a shot, if I was recorded, see if there was any difference to how I normally feel, and see did any recording tally with my experiences, if I remembered them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

That's the exact feeling I have when my missus picks up my phone to check something:D

I'm not sure if it counts as a mental illness, but I'd love to have synaesthesia - I experienced it very briefly on mushrooms once and it blew me away altogether. I'd love to have it full time!

You and I lead very similar lives! Ditto on both counts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Two of them do it, actually, one a psychiatrist one a medical doc.

It's does provoke interesting discussions. Can't emphasise enough that it's not intended to offend anyone, just to imagine walking a day in their shoes.

I find it hard to believe that 2 Dr's would engage in such a game. There are so many other questions which are sufficient to provoke discussion, this seems a strange choice to use.

In a party environment many people go with a humorous angle on their conversations to make others laugh and therefore relax more. That is where this is likely to cause some offence in my view. Person A asks the question, Person B answers but makes a joke, Person C hears them making fun of their illness.

I'd ask your friends to consider that if they were in the depths of a particular illness, that that could be the day when they harm themselves or others. When suffering in this way, it's not like you can say "I'll be better tomorrow" and simply believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

That a psychiatrist would ask people this as a party game would certainly make me question whether they have enough insight into mental illness to be treating it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Empathy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

lalababa wrote: »
    A severe bout of ADHD if that's a mental illness, or the high as a kite side of bipolar, or delusions of grandeur/everybody loves me/extazy pill type thing. Or male nympho. Or thinking I'm Napoleon/Bertie ahern..ha.ha.
    Meh, I'm already stocked up on those. :D
    4) Full on expletive tourette
    That too.
    Hypomania for elevated mood & creativity.
    Yeah, probably this. I can kinda hype myself up into that sorta state as it is, but the full on version would be interesting.
    Don't want to experience any type of mental illness. Years ago I smoked a tiny joint, and I was paranoid for a few days- thought I'd have to admit myself to a psychiatric ward. Felt completely detached from myself also. Scariest experience of my life. Killed my curiosity.
    Jaysus that must have been mad strong stuff. The first time I tried MDMA allegedly, the first half wasn't even touching the sides, so I necked another full one, allegedly, then another and another half allegedly. Then it started to work alright. I'm wired funny so I got the itchy dancing feet a little and really got the ohhhhh feel this cool texture thing, but didn't feel the huggy love at all. Quite the opposite actually. Anyhoo the next day I crashed out of it and got the major blues. Lasted the whole afternoon and into evening, but had burnt itself out by late evening. Apparently it induces a state kinda like depression and that was pretty bloody awful. And I knew it was the comedown buzz and knew it would pass and knew this wasn't my life, but jaysus if depression is anything like that... Nope.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭PingTing comes for Fire

Dyschronometria.
    1874 wrote: »
    why? for what reason? For 24 hours?

Yes.

:( I'm sorry.

None come to mind because I've already an idea of the living hell many of them create. I would like to be a psychopath for a day though. It would be nice to be devoid of feelings for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Hmmm probably anorexia. Would love to feel so much control.

Actually do you know what I'd love, if someone could magic away all of my mental illnesses, and let me see what it would be like to feel normal for a day! :D

Hmmm probably anorexia. Would love to feel so much control.

Actually do you know what I'd love, if someone could magic away all of my mental illnesses, and let me see what it would be like to feel normal for a day! :D

What is normal though?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Vegan.

What is normal though?

I'm in the habit of constantly analysing and adjusting my thoughts and feelings and actions as a result of all the DBT/CBT etc I've done, so I guess for me, normal would be the "healthy" thoughts being my first thoughts in most situations. Just being able to trust myself instead of always watching myself, you know?

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Highly insensitive thread. Treating mental illness like a game of charades.:rolleyes:

Well, we are as a human race, very very curious and learn things by trying to fit on another’s shoes, so to speak. I had often been curious about physical illnesses when I was a young girl visiting aunties, granny etc in hospital, and got to experience a fair few of them in subsequent times. I, and my school mates were often curious about mental illness too as we had heard the term “Nervous Breakdoen” used quite often. One day the head nun announced that our gym teacher “has had a breakdown and cannot come in today, so Miss Murphy will supervise Class instead”. The nun meant her car had broken down, but we all assumed it must be one of those nervous breakdowns we hear about, and wondered how it struck the teacher that morning. Did she wake up, have breakfast, and suddenly keel over in tears? I itherwirds what exactly was the nature of a breakdown, did it come out of the blue, did it only affect adults, could we wake up one morning and get a breakdown like it and not be able to come to school. We had a healthy curiosity. Only when we can relate to something in some way can we develop our empathy enough to be a friend, a help, a resource to somebody affected. Also we can then discover things about how our own mental health is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

while the thread title seems insensitive, mental illness and speaking anout it has been kept in the dark too long.
    everything and anything that brings it out into the light and gets people talking about it is good. imo.

my pick would probably be depression. to be able to truly understand it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Being normal for a day you neurotypical critters seem to be nuttier than squirrel poo

It's not a mental illness as such, but BPD on a good day would probably be an interesting one for some people to experience. The highs are INTENSE.

Wouldn't wish a bad day of it on anyone though.

I'm in the habit of constantly analysing and adjusting my thoughts and feelings and actions as a result of all the DBT/CBT etc I've done, so I guess for me, normal would be the "healthy" thoughts being my first thoughts in most situations. Just being able to trust myself instead of always watching myself, you know?

I'm well acquainted with the over analysing myself and sometimes am plagued with self doubt. Other times I'm not. Something about the word "normal" makes me wonder if we are quick to assume that everyone else is ok and we aren't or that having a mental illness in some way means that person is less than. I've never experienced "normal" in my life but I have experienced vast ranges of human suffering and success.

I think I’d choose Anorexia too. A) I might get an insight into being able to control my over-generous food intake, B) I might get insight into something I cannot envision myself having. I’ve tasted a little helping of Depression, a dollop of Panic Attacks/agoraphobia, have had side effects of post-surgery medications which have given me hallucinations and delusions enough to have real sympathy for people with Schizophrenia, and have got excited and rooted enough on something enough to see how Manic episodes could potentially take over a life in Bipolar. The more insight I gain, the more empathy I have.

Being normal for a day you neurotypical critters seem to be nuttier than squirrel poo

I don’t think I’m very neurotypical, hahaha. Rather neuroatypical, if there’s such a term!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Being religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Psychopathy - I'm sure it could help my career enormously or added bonus: as I'd only have it for 24 hours, I could legitimately plead temporary insanity for a murderous rampage in Dail Eireann! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

being a woman

god knows wtf goes on in their heads :D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement