Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

eagle eye wrote: »

Seriously???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

mad muffin wrote: »
    These allowances aren’t worth **** when their monthly tax, fees and levies are more than their take home pay.

It's not. Where did you get that from? A payslip was posted earlier, are we just making stuff up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Coming from the man who spends all day ranting and raving at Leo Varadkar and uses Leo Varadkars partners as his username on boards.

Do you ever post anything positive on boards?

The name is in regards of having the craic. Are you from the Carlow Wheeliebins? I use to go to school with a Deirdre Wheeliebin, any relation?
    I post about many things. When speaking on politics I mention the political leader of the country. Odd I know. When I see the nurses plan to strike and Leo talking sh*te I should be seeing what Mick Wallace has to say, I know :)
    As for your good self, you come on talk nonsense, get called out on it and either run away or change tack like the above. Each to their own wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

So presumably there'd be a good few on over 100k.

Better start planting the money trees now and pray for a bountiful harvest because the rest of the Guards and Teachers will be next out looking for the same.

Kinda incredible to think that we had a major recession only a decade ago when our current spending spiralled out of control on the back of highly cyclical taxes - I guess this time it's different.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I needed medication to prevent an embolism, so yeah it was serious, so PFO with your "jesting". My GP told me to go there straight away as it was an emergency. I didn't care that I was on a trolley, but I did expect to be seen to relatively promptly as my condition could have seriously deteriorated suddenly. In fact they could have turned me around quite quickly, but chose not to.

And it is the norm. The patients that were abandoned next to me had equally horrific experiences.

So you were waiting on a doctor to administer the drug. Clears it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Better start planting the money trees now and pray for a bountiful harvest because the rest of the Guards and Teachers will be next out looking for the same.

Kinda incredible to think that we had a major recession only a decade ago when our current spending spiralled out of control on the back of highly cyclical taxes - I guess this time it's different.:rolleyes:

The direct budgetary cuts really only ended a few years ago- the recession is still felt in all our pay packets.
    We are sailing head long into deep trouble, these people have zero sense of public responsibility. It’s frightening

As mentioned before the guards won’t strike cause they recently threatened to go on strike and the government miraculously found 300 million to give them. What guards and 300 million can’t be found for nurses /pna

hawkelady wrote: »
    As mentioned before the guards won’t strike cause they recently threatened to go on strike and the government miraculously found 300 million to give them. What guards and 300 million can’t be found for nurses /pna

Where are they “going to find it”?

Pluck a figure from the sky- public service thinking alright. Incredible

road_high wrote: »
    Where are they “going to find it”?

Where did they find the 300 mill for the guards ?
    Listen, I’m a neutral here, I can see both sides but I would be 51% on the side of nurses cause it’s a tough job .. pisses me off a bit when I read posts saying they never glanced at me or they are lazy. That was never my experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

So you were waiting on a doctor to administer the drug. Clears it up.

5 hrs to be seen by a doctor and another 2 to 2.5 hrs for the drugs to be administered. And only because I asked for them.

The elderly man next to me was left without his medication all night despite being seen by three junior doctors.

Despite it being a busy ward, the staff still found time to have a chat about the new year's party, even with misery going on around them. To be honest, direction for the nurses comes from the manager and the CNM that night could only be kindly described as ignorant.

Yes, one night in one hospital shouldn't tar an entire health service, but the experience was far from unique.

I'd always have been an advocate for nurses but that night in A&E opened my eyes up to them being ever bit as wasteful as other parts of the public sector. Certainly not deserving of the pedestal that the Irish public has traditionally placed them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

The name is in regards of having the craic. Are you from the Carlow Wheeliebins? I use to go to school with a Deirdre Wheeliebin, any relation?
    I post about many things. When speaking on politics I mention the political leader of the country. Odd I know. When I see the nurses plan to strike and Leo talking sh*te I should be seeing what Mick Wallace has to say, I know :)
    As for your good self, you come on talk nonsense, get called out on it and either run away or change tack like the above. Each to their own wheels.

Hmmm, I only said yesterday you got absolutely rinsed in the government thread by about 8 people and you ran over to this thread.

Now you use my expression against me today?

Where did they find the 300 mill for the guards ?
    Listen, I’m a neutral here, I can see both sides but I would be 51% on the side of nurses cause it’s a tough job .. pisses me off a bit when I read posts saying they never glanced at me or they are lazy. That was never my experience

They took it from elsewhere, probably disability or something “easy”. Or the USC was kept- these massive pay increases always have to come from somewhere else, not the magic money tree unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No. All on 70k.

They took it from elsewhere, probably disability or something “easy”. Or the USC was kept- these massive pay increases always have to come from somewhere else, not the magic money tree unfortunately

They closed wards in hospitals

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No. All on 70k.

So, the one with more experience and responsibility is on the same as the newly qualified?

Pluck a figure from the sky- public service thinking alright. Incredible

To be fair they find it when they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It's not. Where did you get that from? A payslip was posted earlier, are we just making stuff up?

What pay slip? I know first hand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So, the one with more experience and responsibility is on the same as the newly qualified?
    I'm not the policy maker.

Hmmm, I only said yesterday you got absolutely rinsed in the government thread by about 8 people and you ran over to this thread.

Now you use my expression against me today?

You imagined I got rinsed. I thought it was torn? I'm still over there. It's called diversifying your portfolio. By 8 people you mean the same three or four defenders of all things Fine Gael, (who had all their posts deleted?) as is their right. Mind neither them nor yourself are interested in discussion, just seem to lay in wait to pounce on anyone criticising the FG government, which albeit sad, is their right.
    Now as handsome and interesting as I am, this is a thread on the Nurses. I made a comment about the nurses and you tried to make it about me.
    Are you going to dock your wages for all the time you spend on me, on here?
    Now off with you to complain about nurses, which is seemingly okay over complaining about the Taoiseach or others whose actual job it is to look after the interests of the tax payer...unlike say..nurses.

• Advertisement

What pay slip? I know first hand ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=470003&d=1547072548

These allowances aren’t worth **** when their monthly tax, fees and levies are more than their take home pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

It isn’t there. These people want a blank chewue courtesy of the state. The state can’t afford it, simple as that.
    Says who? The state can afford lots of things. It can afford a huge overrun of the children's hospital. It can afford extra TDs pay.

It can afford anything if they want to spend the money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

It isn’t there. These people want a blank chewue courtesy of the state. The state can’t afford it, simple as that.
    Says who? The state can afford lots of things. It can afford a huge overrun of the children's hospital. It can afford extra TDs pay.

It can afford anything if they want to spend the money.

Dont forget a 5 euro increase per week for the dole and a Christmas "bonus" for working so hard all year not finding work.

Dont forget a 5 euro increase per week for the dole and a Christmas "bonus" for working so hard all year not finding work.

Classic. I do love a reference to the aul' Christmas bonus given by the same government who vet and pay out money allowing us to spit on these people whenever we're not happy with something else government do.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

Just for more clarity on deductions and tax this is my payslip for two weeks as I said before I’m six years qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭HamSarris

Under FOI the HSE released the statistics on nursing pay in 2012. This was prior to a number of public sector pay rises in recent years.

> €140,000 – 3
    > €100,000 – 70
    €90,000 - €100,000 = 108 (0.5%)
    €80,000 - €90,000 = 351 (2%)
    €70,000 - €80,000 = 834 (4%)
    €60,000 - €70,000 = 3,364 (15%)
    €50,000 - €60,000 = 7,478 (33%
    €40,000 - €50,000 = 6,064 (27%)
    €30,000 - €40,000 = 4,026 (18%)

What it illustrates is that when basic pay, overtime and allowances is taking into account, nursing pay isn't that bad. The median wage is in the €50,000-60,000 region.

I actually think nurses deserve a slight increase but the amount being sought would put the median wage close to €60,000, well above the median wage of all workers in Ireland (approx. €41,000).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm not the policy maker.

Nor am I.

But what do you think? Should the wage for a nurse start at 70k and stay there in your view?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I support the Nurses they do fantastic work!

And its pay restoration!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

With regards overtime if I do a 13 hour shift as overtime during the week I get paid around an extra 160 euro so my wages would then be 700 for a 52 hour week working Monday-Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Divide and Conquer works great in Ireland. Meanwhile the politicians are getting another payrise in the coming weeks if I heard right.

Advertisement