Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Oh would you just walk your f*cking legs please'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

We need pedestrian Fast Lanes. Then we can change the name of them to Overtaking Lanes and ridicule the lane hoggers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuWnOsHX69U

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Hammer89 wrote: »
    What kind of scenario would have a bunch old people walking up and down Henry St anyway?

The kind where you want to make a point about slowing down and taking the world in, maaaaaaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I just want to walk at a reasonable pace without having to slam into idiots who just stop in the middle of a pavement.

Just MOVE to the side if you're going to do that.

Don't walk 3 a breast and when I approach and then expect my to go around. Single file your a***s! You're the people taking up the whole pavement.

Obnoxiously big prams. I appreciate you're a mother out trying to get some errands done but is there any need for that space machine of a thing? Just invaraiably makes it more effort to get into shops, transport, cafes etc.

Then there is just the slow walker in situations where walking fast and nimbley is the only way. Such as a high street. Just accept if you want to go for a stroll then go somewhere for a stroll. This is city center, and if everyone walked at a slow pace then no one would get anywhere. The place is the epitome of fast pace and busy living, get with the damn programme.

Not asking for everyone to be going 100 miles an hour. Mostly I'm fine with people walking slowly or ambling along. Just be aware that it's not all the time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

If someone is stopped in the middle of the path or stops suddenly, I tend to bump into them 'accidentally'.

"Whoops, so sorry."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Some sour auld bag of ****s in here, getting worked up over a little trivial annoyance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Don't walk 3 a breast and when I approach and then expect my to go around. Single file your a***s! You're the people taking up the whole pavement.

This! In my experience its always women who do it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Some sour auld bag of ****s in here, getting worked up over a little trivial annoyance

It's no less trivial than being annoyed by traffic or piss poor drivers. Just because it isn't the end of the world doesn't mean that being frustrated with it is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

And Travelators.

That's racist, they're only expressing their culture.

Glazers Out!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Henry St. is a shambles because of the stalls on both sides. Everyone is funneled into a small space in the middle and it's very claustrophobic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

I must've had this thought about, hmm, 750 times in Town earlier. Slow c*nts.

I don't mean mentally slow - some might've been because it was Henry St - but slow physically. They walked like they had sh*t their pants - and some might've, because it was Henry St.

They walked like they were walking to their execution. They walked like how you walk in Musical Chairs when there's only two of you left. They walked like people who had no real idea where they were walking to.

They walked with very little regard for the walkers behind them, the people like me, who did know where they were going and wanted to get there before the 24th.

Inconsiderate clowns.

Make it legal to push slow people and you'll have my vote for life.

• Advertisement

Do as they do in New York. Walk through them as you push them aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

They're the bain of my daily life OP.

The daydreamers who look all around as they waltz along slowly

The phone heads, texting as they go along.

As also mentioned the ones who stop all of a sudden causing a collide from behind.

Not to mention the zig-zaggers. You try to negotiate your way around and as soon as you go to make a move they cross over to your path.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I must've had this thought about, hmm, 750 times in Town earlier. Slow c*nts.

I don't mean mentally slow - some might've been because it was Henry St - but slow physically. They walked like they had sh*t their pants - and some might've, because it was Henry St.

They walked like they were walking to their execution. They walked like how you walk in Musical Chairs when there's only two of you left. They walked like people who had no real idea where they were walking to.

They walked with very little regard for the walkers behind them, the people like me, who did know where they were going and wanted to get there before the 24th.

Inconsiderate clowns.

It's almost as if they just don't prioritise you and your wants over their own.

Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I find people who stop in doorways or with trolleys in the middle of supermarket aisles for a chat to be infinitely more annoying and ignorant behaviour. People taking their time walking along are nowhere near as annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Its like that Billy Connolly story from the seventies where he was trying to get by an old woman, but he slips and falls. The old woman turns around and says to him, what are ye doing on the ground sonny? To which he replies, I was just trying to break a bar of chocolate in my back pocket.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

It's almost as if they just don't prioritise you and your wants over their own.

Crazy!

They shouldn't prioritise my wants over theirs. What they should do, and what any decent human being would do, is consider other people, not just me.

I consider other people all the time, because I'm great and deserve both parachutes. It was very windy at the bus stop yesterday, but I wanted a smoke. What do I do? I walk to the left of the shelter to ensure that my exhalations aren't blown into the faces of the innocent people to the right of me.

That's an example of common decency that I was denied later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

They shouldn't prioritise my wants over theirs. What they should do, and what any decent human being would do, is consider other people, not just me.

I consider other people all the time, because I'm great and deserve both parachutes. It was very windy at the bus stop yesterday, but I wanted a smoke. What do I do? I walk to the left of the shelter to ensure that my exhalations aren't blown into the faces of the innocent people to the right of me.

That's an example of common decency that I was denied later in the day.

I feel your hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

French tourists seem to be masters at this ****housery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Lack of spatial awareness is a far bigger crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭The Bollocks

These people infuriate me too. My trick is to stick in the headphones,head down and barge through them. Slow walkers can ask my bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

There's nothing wrong with walking slow. As long as you're aware other people exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭The Bollocks

You remind me of a shoddy wind-up toy.

And you remind me of a pain in the bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

People who seem to want to barge through everyone on the street - you know what they're going to do when they get to their destination? Fuck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Always watch out for women rooting in their handbags while walking on busy streets.

They're liable to come to a full stop at any moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I have an outstanding intolerance for people who show complete disregard for others in society when out in public. Drives me up the wall. Lacking basic cop-on seems to be an ever growing issue. The OP point is understandable and is relatable but is simply subjective. I would be the same, letting those who walk slow in zone where people walk to and from places that they need to get to or would prefer getting to in a decent time frame. But populated places like Mary street, this is to be expected especially around the x mas period. I use to get annoyed at this and then I started to see it as pointless and pathetic, but not as much anymore. if i need to get some place, Ill choose an alternative route to avoid certain areas, ifs its longer, even better, I can walk until I cave in. I would not get annoyed at the elders, that was one thing that was a no no.

Motorists who park up on paths to "quickly" pop in somewhere while blocking Parents and their children from passing safely together or a parent with a pram- so they can be lazy rather than finding suitable parking. Same with people on bikes cycling on paths- not slowing down/stopping or dismounting when there is next to no room in this case I do not move. two or more people together who walk on paths making no room for on coming pedestrians to pass, I simply walk right through them or stop as they pass. In tesco etc when people tend to block up the isles having a chat with both their trolleys touch at the top int he middle of the isle, I simply move their trolley while they look on with their gobs wide open. People in general who stop mid lane between isles , trolley to side blocking people while they think of where to go next.

The fact of the matter is that people a generally ignorant to their own indecency or lack of manners displayed or shown to others in public. this is just the human condition. Innocuously self centred. Thats including me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

All us dubs does be full of gear and tabalits and can't be walkin fast in anyways

You need be speedy when you're on the rob :)

I really can't stand people, (look it's always women, there, I said it) who after standing in line for the shop counter or to buy a ticket wait until it's their turn, get told how much something is ...and then proceed to look in their bag for a purse like they'd no idea this was going to come up, (then there's wans who decide to shoot the breeze after serving). Some of us have our money in hand when we know we're next. It's not difficult.
    And as Ludacris says, 'Move b*** get out the way...doin' a hundred on the highway, if you do the speed limit get the f*** outta my way' but with regard to walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Standman wrote: »
    People who seem to want to barge through everyone on the street - you know what they're going to do when they get to their destination? Fuck all.

The same c**** will barge by you to beat you to an escalator and then stand still on it. Monsters!

Your medal is in the post.

It was a Father Ted reference :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You have never been frustrated by pedestrians until you have been to a proper Chinatown. I would have figured Asian people would be more efficient pedestrians from how busy a lot o their city streets must be, but it's the complete opposite.

A bit of a shame I lost my old phone or I could put up a video of a 5'0, 100lb elderly Asian woman somehow managing to take up the entire width of a 10-15ft footpath, and legitimately moving at a pace of around 100-150 metres per hour. I sometimes marvel that they might just be having a really cheap day, as the pace some walk at would -no joke- mean a stroll from Portobello to around Dorset St taking 4-5 hours. I honestly have no idea if this is the case, or if they just peg it at full pelt when nobody is looking to make up the time. If you ever find yourself on Spadina in Toronto or in Haymarket in Syndey... just actually stand back an observe for a minute, it's mental at times.

My personal favourite was in Sydney when I was dying of a hangover and just could not get past this group of Asian students without flinging myself into traffic - this was on George St, the main and one of the widest paths in the city. Eventually after having needed to essentially just shove by them, I got about a hundred metres up the street to a fast food place and ordered two meat pies as I was starving (and hungover). I sat there, ate the two at a leisurely pace, read a bit on my phone, got up and left after about 15 minutes. As I left, I turned back the way I came and... the same f***ers were still there, and had only moved about 60-70 metres, in at least 15 minutes.

So, yeah... Asian pedestrians can be a nightmare. Then again we Irish probably get our revenge when foreigners land themselves at an escalator and find that seemingly everyone insists on blocking the escalator at any and all opportunities.

I... I've got a bit of a hangup about slow pedestrians and escalators. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The same c**** will barge by you to beat you to an escalator and then stand still on it. Monsters!
    Not on escalators, but I have shoved people back when they do this at the lights. Scramble ahead of me if you must, I actually don't mind that at all since you're likely in a rush... but if you do it to stand there and gawk at your phone or walk across the street slower than molasses, I'm afraid you've done it to yourself. :D

Advertisement