Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tommy Robinson jailed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Den14 wrote: »
    The story of Tommy Robinson in the UK should strike fear into everyone regardless of whether you like the guy or not.
    If you can be arrested, tried and sentenced for dissenting opinion in a matter of three hours, you don't have due process and you certainly don't have freedom. The press are also forbidden to report the story. The whole thing sounds like something out of 1984.

Very true. I used to hate the chap with an absolute passion until the grooming gangs were uncovered and everything he said about them turned out to be true. Also the fact that there were more investigations into him and the EDL than there were about the gangs just proved his point even further.

As Douglas Murray said about Tommy and I'm paraphrasing here

"I don't particularly agree with Mr. Robinson on many issues but the fact remains he has been vindicated by the horrific revelations that have come out and I for one, am bloody grateful that the man was willing to risk his safety and reputation to shout from the rooftops about this issue. It has also come to light that the police services were more than happy to arrest the fathers of rape victims who were on the verge of murdering their abusers after being told by the very same police officers that there was nothing to be done. They were denied the right to see their daughters abusers face due process for their crimes yet there was no hesitation in arresting them for their rage against those that very much deserved it.

I find it astonishing that the man to get due process for those victims was not a police officer of the court but, in the eyes of the left, a racist football hooligan. As a gay man I find the bending over backwards to islamofascists by liberals in this country to be an insidious traitorous ideology. While Tommy may have a spotty past and certain views which I find questionable, I highly doubt he would have me thrown off a rooftop for being gay unlike the same men his critics are so ardent to defend. If they got their way, I would be very much in danger simply for being alive and being who I am, while they proclaim to be the de-facto protectors of gay people in this country. It is a laughable state of affairs for the left in this country when they are ignoring the elephant in the room because a chihuahua dares to bark at it. They will spend more time attempting to muzzle and silence a tiny dog than to deal with a crisis rampaging toward them. They are experts at attacking the secondary problems but when it comes to the primary concerns or the source of the problem they are nowhere to be found or purposely silent. I wonder why that is...."

When I heard Murray say that about him I realised myself that maybe he wasn't the monster the media made him out to be and that I believed him to be. Did a little research into him with fresh open eyes and he turned out to be a typical blokey kind of guy who made lewd jokes and some very serious points on the way British society was moving. I highly suggest anyone who demonize him to look at his oxford union presentation and see what he actually means. If he can sway the liberal oxford crowd then maybe he's not the boogeyman the media would have you believe he is.

To a certain extent In agree with you, but he could do without they look the next Twitter Pakistani jokes and mortgage fraud.
    Fully agree with that- as regards the mortgage fraud issue, I would note that while he certainly did it, what was rather disturbing for me is that it was quite clearly a case where the state investigated him in great detail to try to find anything they could to put him in jail and discredit him. While it was his own fault for having something that he could be jailed and discredited with, nevertheless the actions of the state were at best questionable and at worst evidence the same thing that happened at this event - I.e. a deliberate policy to destroy those it views as a dissenter. One wonders why they don't treat rape gangs in a similar fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Whatever you think of Tommy Robinson that the media have been banned from reporting/discussing his arrest should set alarm bells ringing in a 'free' society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Who is Tommy Robinson?

He does a cookery show on BBC..

Go back to sleep Francie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

fash wrote: »
    Or "rape gangs" if you understand the original speaker's dialect on that one. No need to ridicule the concerns of a person regarding young girls in their community based on their accent.

You would think people would slink away from that comment. It’s actually quite disgusting to be still slagging it off knowing what transpired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Arresting TR is not right, and the lack of media coverage at this hearing (relative to say, Count Dankulas day in court) and the overall lack of coverage of Telford etc is quite concerning and it's easy to see how someone could think there's special treatment going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Crimes against children always have special restrictions so that the children's identities can be protected. No conspiracy here. He was warned already and ignored the warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

20Cent wrote: »
    Crimes against children always have special restrictions so that the children's identities can be protected. No conspiracy here. He was warned already and ignored the warning.
    He wasn't arrested for that though- he was arrested for breaching the peace. Unless there is more to the contemporaneous story that I am currently unaware of, that sounds like after the event justification if it was not used as the reason at the time.

fash wrote: »
    He wasn't arrested for that though- he was arrested for breaching the peace. Unless there is more to the contemporaneous story that I am currently unaware of, that sounds like after the event justification if it was not used as the reason at the time.

Actually it was for contempt of court while on bail for contempt of court.

Imagine someone was outside filming people going into a trial and publishing it on the internet. Can't be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Imagine someone was outside filming people going into a trial and publishing it on the internet. Can't be allowed.

Like the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

They told him he was being arrested for breach of the peace. Nothing about contempt of court.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

It happens all the time. The reason this is an issue is because the perpetrators cannot be named in order to protect the identity of the children involved. However, this is a cultural issue for some people.

Anyone supporting raptists should be deported. It must be a real quagmire for some people to either support child rapists or Robinson'd exposure of them.

I don't agree with anything Robinson says bar this issue and he's 100% correct to expose these people; the problem is that he is trying to tar everyone with the same brush and make this an issue about immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

It's just a pity as much emphasis wasn't put in place to protect them from the scum bags as there was protecting their identities

They told him he was being arrested for breach of the peace. Nothing about contempt of court.

Ya reckon people get sent away for over a year for breach or peace? He was on bail for contempt of court broke the rules and bail revoked.

It's just a pity as much emphasis wasn't put in place to protect them from the scum bags as there was protecting their identities

Its the kids identities being protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Its the kids identities being protected.

It's the kids I am talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

They knew kids were being raped and did nothing about it? And you know this how?

Reams of documentation online from all sources of how this was covered up and ignored for decades despite a flood of reports and warnings.from some of the girls, their families,. social workers and politicians. No one disputes this. They just ignore it.

Check out Maajid Nawaz, a British anti extremist Muslim. In the race to be seen as not racist, many, including the mainstream media are inadvertently or perhaps deliberately supporting the most extreme forms of Islam.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Scumbag child rapists need to be indentified. End of f***ing story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

VonZan wrote: »

I don't agree with anything Robinson says bar this issue and he's 100% correct to expose these people; the problem is that he is trying to tar everyone with the same brush and make this an issue about immigration.

Is he really though? He has gone on at length several times about his friends of all ethnic backgrounds, including Muslims. Seems a funny way to appeal to racists. I don't agree with him 100% either but I do think it's possible his heart is in the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Relative to the scale of the grooming gangs the BBC et al are pretty quiet about the whole thing.
    It feels like the Telford scandal got barely any attention at all.

Diceicle wrote: »
    Relative to the scale of the grooming gangs the BBC et al are pretty quiet about the whole thing.
    It feels like the Telford scandal got barely any attention at all.

Must not offend the muslim...

• Advertisement

It pisses me off that some people can't separate their feelings towards a person and how that person is treated by the police or government.

You have to have the brain capacity of a wombat to look at that video of his breaching the peace arrest and then think "It's ok because he's a thug racist."

People who applaud it ensure it will continue happening, but who knows where your opinions will lie in the future. You might not always have the social moral highground protecting you.
    While lads preach killing the infidels in public is allowed, it's laughable.

The right-on snobbery really gets to me. I laughed a few years ago at the Musliamic Ray-guns guy. I can admit I was wrong. It was a group of people who had no other way to do anything. The police failed them, the law failed them, their sisters, nieces, daughters were being raped, beaten and drugged and because they're working class sure they're just racist pieces of ****. It's ****ing disgusting that the snobbery against them is so strong while straightaway the same people will start talking about small minorities etc.

How the **** people can point at Tommy Robinson as being the problem when likely over 100,000 girls have been raped and just laugh at the unarticulate working class guys trying to draw attention and have something done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

wes wrote: »
    He had a suspended sentence for acting the maggot outside a court, and has done so again. There are restrictions about reporting ongoing court cases, especially those involving grooming cases involving children, those protections are there just as much to protect the identity of the victim, as well as to ensure a safe prosecution.

Stephen Yaxley-Lennon's behavior could result in the accused not getting a fair trial, which could result in there release, but I guess far right politicking and self promotion is more important than justice being served.

Can someone explain the difference between what he does and what I see on the news where criminals are walking to court being asked questions? They often throw the jacket over their head? What was the thing that meant the law was broken? Martin Cahill comes to mind too. Is it a question of proximity to the court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

To a certain extent In agree with you, but he could do without they look the next Twitter Pakistani jokes and mortgage fraud.

If a Muslim had the same rapsheet Tommy has, Tommy works be demanding his deportarion on the grounds of immorality.

Very much doubt those twitter jokes are genuine, more likely a smear campaign.

Can someone explain the difference between what he does and what I see on the news where criminals are walking to court being asked questions? They often throw the jacket over their head? What was the thing that meant the law was broken? Martin Cahill comes to mind too. Is it a question of proximity to the court?

Journalists wouldn'tbe shouting you're guily at someone on the way into court. They would also be careful not to film jurors or people just there to observe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Human Sausage

Like the media?

You mean the media which does so in accordance with the law? :)

The difference is that this trial involves minors so there are more restrictions on what can be reported and how.

Anyway, https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/tommy-robinson-arrested-leeds-court-child-grooming-trial-edl-founder-latest-a8368821.html
    Robinson is already under a suspended sentence for committing contempt of court over a gang rape case heard in Canterbury last year.

Judge Heather Norton handed him a three months imprisonment in May last year but suspended it for 18 months on the condition he did not commit further offences.

Oh and,
    “This is not about free speech, not about the freedom of the press, nor about legitimate journalism, and not about political correctness,” the judge told Robinson at the time

“It is about justice and ensuring that a trial can be carried out justly and fairly, it’s about being innocent until proven guilty.

“It is about preserving the integrity of the jury to continue without people being intimidated or being affected by irresponsible and inaccurate ‘reporting’, if that’s what it was.”

But never let it be said AH let the facts get in the way of small-minded ranting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Tommy and Jayda should just leave Britain and let the Country burn to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    hahahaha! and you yourself are always defending the violence of trucks driving over kids and suicide bombing !!

Well done ..

I've never done that once. My whole post history is available for you to search. Go find a single post where I said or even implied any such thing.

Or we can all assume that you're a liar.

You notice how even Tommy Robinsons supporters didn't click like on your post? That's how fcuking dumb it is. They know you're just making sh1t up. Even in a very polarised discussion, people who should be on your side don't want to be associated with you. Even though they disagree with me they wouldn't even ascribe that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

But never let it be said AH let the facts get in the way of small-minded ranting.

On twitter #freetommy was trending. There were also a load of "I am Tommy" tweets. They couldn't seem to manage to say it in french. And there were a feck load of tweets saying that there was a ban on reporting about his arrest. All they had to do was google his name and they couldn't be bothered doing it.
    thebull85 wrote: »
    Scumbag child rapists need to be indentified. End of f***ing story.

Even when it risks identifying the victims? Even when those victims are minors?

Grayson wrote: »
    Even when it risks identifying the victims? Even when those victims are minors?

Naming them could save thousands more children from being raped. So my answer is yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Grayson wrote: »
    On twitter #freetommy was trending. There were also a load of "I am Tommy" tweets. They couldn't seem to manage to say it in french.

Why would they? He’s English. Kinda ironic you’re using the “Je Suis Charlie” hashtag as a stick to beat him with given it was absolutely on the back of an evil Muslim inspired atrocity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement