Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

giving a lift to someone, then involved in car accident?

• 19-11-2016 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭

you know a lot of people 'thumb' lifts in Ireland and someone pulls over and gives them a lift, what if you pick up a stranger (or even someone you know come to think of it) what is the score if after you pick them up you get into a car accident (even if its not your fault) if they get maimed/hurt or something - is driver liable / can get sued by the passenger he picked up? - and I doubt car insurance would cover it? - it would be a private claim wouldnt it be. Sorta makes you think also about car shares where you share taking your workmates to work as well and vice-versa.

Didnt know whether to ask in motoring or insurance so I decided to post it in after hours :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

A member of your own family can claim for injuries off you, never mind a stranger. That's what you're paying insurance for.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

As long as you are not making a financial gain from giving them a lift (they may pay towards petrol), I would assume they claim from the at fault drivers insurance.

AHs answer.

Kill them, and the car with fire. No prove then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Once you're not accepting a "reward" for giving the lift they are covered.

But if you are illegally operating as a Taxi for example and have an accident, then they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

A member of your own family can claim for injuries off you, never mind a stranger. That's what you're paying insurance for.

yeah, did hear that before - is it silly or not? - is that just special to Ireland or do other countries adopt that culture as well? - do/can they sue through insurance or is it done privately/personal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

You're covered to carry passengers, just not for hire or reward.
    I never pick up hitch hikers anymore. Even if they scratch themselves getting in or out of the car they can hit you with a claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    AHs answer.

Kill them, and the car with fire. No prove then.

AH answer: It was a SKELETON driving the car all along!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

yeah, did hear that before - is it silly or not? - is that just special to Ireland or do other countries adopt that culture as well? - do/can they sue through insurance or is it done privately/personal?

I had to sue the driver of a car I was a passenger in. And I was even related to them. Imagine!

It's done through insurance. It's what insurance is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

I had to sue the driver of a car I was a passenger in. And I was even related to them. Imagine!

It's done through insurance. It's what insurance is for.

Ya bast**d :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

emeldc wrote: »
    Ya bast**d :)

I'm a terrible, terrible person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

you know a lot of people 'thumb' lifts in Ireland and someone pulls over and gives them a lift, what if you pick up a stranger (or even someone you know come to think of it) what is the score if after you pick them up you get into a car accident (even if its not your fault) if they get maimed/hurt or something - is driver liable / can get sued by the passenger he picked up? - and I doubt car insurance would cover it? - it would be a private claim wouldnt it be. Sorta makes you think also about car shares where you share taking your workmates to work as well and vice-versa.

Didnt know whether to ask in motoring or insurance so I decided to post it in after hours :)

Another fine thread Andy.

A relative of was driving a company car years ago when involved in an accident while carrying a hitch hiker.

The hitch hiker claimed and got so much , himself and my relative exchange christmas cards and play a round of golf every so often.

AH answer : kill and bury all hitch hikers.
    Make sure you have a decent spade, rope and a good excuse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement