Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Polish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i'm sure some will stay. the vast majority will probably return home though.
    it's not like poland is a completely desolate wasteland.
    give it a few years, some EU investment and they'll be up with us financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

El Duce wrote:
    i cannot believe u guys are serious.polish women are no good to any1 cuz ther wit their fellas who will kill them if they try to leave and the polish fellas are so intimidating and rude and smelly and dangerous!!i shudnt be afraid to walk out of my own house wit 20 angry looking men staring at me for no reason!!

You just all for stereotyping aren't ya?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

I work with 3 Polish, 1 Slovakian and 1 Lithuanian and the trend seems to be that they come over here for a year or 2 save up aload of money and hed back home!
    One girl had saved like €25000, thats like looooooads in Poland!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

julep wrote:
    i went into one of the mcdonalds on O'Connell street one day about 7 or 8 years ago and i was the only Irish customer in the place. the city centre has always been full of foreign people.

as for the poles, i've only actually met one. i was outside my local having a smoke and a foreign guy asked me for a light. i assumed he was italian because of the football top he was wearing (some italian team), but he told me he was polish. i asked him how he was getting on over here and he said he really liked it. he wasn't too happy about the smoking ban though.

Well let's say your experience of the city centre 8 years ago is radically different to mine then. I've started playing a game when i'm around town of counting languages as i hear snatches of conversation..english features in about one out of three to five, though that's around henry street o'connell street, quays etc but the volume is suprising. It was an actually an american friend of my brothers who was over visiting that pointed out the lack of natives to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Have met a few poles in the past few years, they're all great craic, and their women are, almost without exception, fantastic.

Must be something in the water over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

magpie wrote:
    Only met a couple of Poles, but I know a lot of Romanians who are similarly hard-working and overqualified for what they do.

Is it just me or do/did the Romanians not have as good a rep because they were the first wave of Eastern Europeans and/or the whole Gypsy Beggar thing giving them a bad name? I don't see any signs in Romanian about the place.

That would be because Romania wont be in the EU until 2007!

Once in the EU the internal borders should disappear and one of the 4 freedoms of the single market allows them to travel and work wherever they like if the host state agrees to such.....most of the original EU15 still dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

i work in a net cafe and the majority of ppl that come in are... you guessed it polish, most are nice people but as always you have a few bad apples and the ones as mentioned above pure iron curtains.

a few of the bad ones are regulars, had a knife incident, a few drunken ones and a polish man who somehow thought that the bmw keys on the counter were his, so he took them went along to his phone to call back home and in trots the real owner of the keys enquiring did he leave his keys on the counter, which i knew he did i just didnt realise who had left them there and presumed the polish guy owned them, needless to say either myself or the guy who actually owned the car were very happy with him, the guy suddenly couldnt speak english which was strange cos i know he can speak english. aw well those are just the minority of bad experiences.

other than that most of em are polite and nice, pity that some of them dont have a word of english though and think i know what they are on about.

some of the polish women are... nice eye candy aswell :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Giblet wrote:
    You just all for stereotyping aren't ya?!
    1. Look at user's post history.
    2. Add user to Ignore list.
    3. Profit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

p.s. please don't post negative comments - if you want to do that, then start a new thread. Let's have this as a positive thread about the 150,000 Polish people who are now based here

116,206 according to the Irish Times. http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2006/0511/3422421441HM1WORKERS.html

Personally I do not know any Poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Ken Shabby wrote:
    1. Look at user's post history.
    2. Add user to Ignore list.
    3. Profit!
    good idea. he is named after mussolini after all. not too likely to be a tree hugging hippy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

the polish are sound.
    we should be delighted they have chosen ireland to move to.

/ds

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

good idea. he is named after mussolini after all. not too likely to be a tree hugging hippy

And has fecked up his Italian at that, it's Il Duce.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I hate the ****ing polish!

What a pointless excercise, what's so bad about a little dust anyway. Plus I hate the smell... Mr ****ing Sheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

at least we'll get points from poland in the eurovision...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The scabby F*ckers didn't give us much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Threads like this must drive the minority of Irish racists nuts. Which is nice. :)

adam

yeah
    f*ck those guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Some people seem to get a warm happy glow from seeing migrants everywhere, i dont, migrants dont bother me at all but dont get me happy clappy either,i dont thinks it a particularly good or bad thing. its just different faces/languages/cultures becoming more common untill they become the norm.im sure that as soon as economic conditions change "welcoming " irish people will become less hospitable unless the migrants have already moved on to the next location with surplus jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Some people seem to get a warm happy glow from seeing migrants everywhere, i dont, migrants dont bother me at all but dont get me happy clappy either,

I think ya might be missing the general consenus(sp?) here. From the way i read this thread people are really happy to see a nation FULLY intergrating into Irish society for a change...In fairness we've a **** load of horrible, criminal/scam merchants coming over(not just in ireland tho)

But yeah i agree that the Poles are sound. I work with three and they are seriously hard working folk. One guy i know the most is a computer programmer, He washes cars in our place and is happy as a pig in ****....and fair play to him.

And for the ladies...Well sweet jesus they are some of the most beautiful looking women i've ever seen...Altho i said this to my polish friend in work and he said..and i quote '' seriously man, but very very careful of some of the polish women'' I was and still a bit miffed at that. He never did expand on that statement and i kinda said ''oh rightio then.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

Why is it polish this polish that there have been Chinese, Nigerian ,Romanian people coming here a long time before we had any poles and they don’t have there own segment in the evening herald , that’s racism ………….

jazoo wrote:
    Why is it polish this polish that there have been Chinese, Nigerian ,Romanian people coming here a long time before we had any poles and they don’t have there own segment in the evening herald , that’s racism ………….

Racism...really? Let me see ...the triads(chinese) ran amok in town a few years back chopping some poor fellow china man to bits..

The first Romanians to come here where Gypsies and begging all over every god dam motorway junction in Ireland...with newish Pajero parked down the road

And the Nigerians kinda got famous for CC scams...general Identity theft and popping babies the minute they landed....

Now what i've said above is racism, having a section in city paper ain't. IMO it's called intergration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I think ya might be missing the general consenus(sp?) here. From the way i read this thread people are really happy to see a nation FULLY intergrating into Irish society for a change...In fairness we've a **** load of horrible, criminal/scam merchants coming over(not just in ireland tho)
    Eh...not everyone has to go along with the consensus. It's called having yer own mind...

I've nowt against things Polish (but me Ma might disagree. I haven't met Mr Sheen in years.) The perfectly lovely Polish people in work are cleaners (is that appropriate?) and the sight of them doesn't make me want to puke...:D

Eh...not everyone has to go along with the consensus. It's called having yer own mind...

Did i say anything about ''everyone has to go along with the consensus''. I tought i was just pointing out IMO how the thread was developing. Maybe i did a bad job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

jazoo wrote:

Sure there have been other immigrants here before the Polish, but there has never been anyone else here in such large numbers. That's why there is so much fuss about the Polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

I love the polish and i think they are one of the best things that has happened to this country in years, hard working honest people, ive been going out with a polish girl for nearly 2 years now and ive never been happier :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

The most beautiful girl I've ever seen was Polish. Absolutely stunning. Yes amazingly she didn't think so. I love the way Polish women don't get an ego when they're lovely...

In general, I think Polish people are very nice - innocent, friendly, intelligent, sociable...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

There are polish lads down in my gym...put it this way, you could learn a lot from them. Massive. Absolutely Massive. Very strong, very outgoing and excentric guys.

If one of them caught you with his girlfriend and he came after you, you'd run off and commit suicide before he got to you...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Polish women are really sound. I was talking to one in a shoe shop one day and she said she was a phyicist and wanted to stay in ireland for a while but wanted to improve her english in the shop first as well as earning a bit. They really make a difference from some of the egotistical irish women doing the rounds.

Some of the estonians are quite hot too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Red Alert wrote:
    Some of the estonians are quite hot too.

Indeed. The north east europeans look slightly different than the south east ones. Both are tasty though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

p.s. please don't post negative comments - if you want to do that, then start a new thread. Let's have this as a positive thread about the 150,000 Polish people who are now based here
    A thread where people only post positive experiences is stupid and not realistic. I will comment however that I have not had any bad experiences with any polish.

My girlfriend is German and I am in Germany now so all I have to say is -
    One Nil, One Nil, One Nil, One Nil!!!! Wuuuwhooo - go on Deutschland!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Did i say anything about ''everyone has to go along with the consensus''. I tought i was just pointing out IMO how the thread was developing. Maybe i did a bad job.

You said that people might be missing the consensus. Implying they were wrong. Whatever you were trying, you did a bad job...:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement