Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Germans

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Hibernosaur

mikemac1 wrote: »

He didn't like the Turks either for some reason

The Germans and Turks had a previous failed venture together which involved trying to take over ze world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Leitrim, Sligo and north Mayo would be very under populated without them

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rubin_spitfire

ROAAAR wrote: »
    Are you Dutch by any chance? My Dutch friend is always saying the same thing, although he is actually half German himself and lived very close to Germany so not too unsurprising.

Liechtensteiner. I speak German so I can understand the confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Hibernosaur

Why do the Enlglish call Germany Munich when the Germans, Russians and virtually everyone else calls it munchen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Nice people, pretty friendly and outgoing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Germans are more machine than man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Liechtensteiner. I speak German so I can understand the confusion!

Liechtenstein, the Leitrim of Europe :P

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

The Germans are lovely people, my only complaint about them is that when I worked in Koln for a year not one of them invited me home to have dinner with their family. I was lonely, but to my German colleagues this was my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

biko wrote: »
    I prefer The Dutch.

I don't and i live there.
    staker wrote: »
    Went there on holidays once,stayed in Pascha Hotel for three days in Cologne. Very helpful obliging staff, if a tad expensive.

Isn't the pascha in Cologne a brothel? That's my recollection of the place anyways :pac:
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    We had a Kris Kindle in the office

We have a German team leader and some smart ass got him an orange Dutch football scarf
    It's just what some lads do, mess up the Kris Kindle

Jaysus, he was highly insulted
    I wasn't aware the Dutch and Germans didn't get on

He didn't like the Turks either for some reason

There's a pretty strong dislike alright, more from the Dutch end though. It goes quite a bit further than us ribbing the english too, the dutch from experience genuinely can't go more than about three sentences without bringing up the war or a nazi reference and any Dutch person i know has at some point bitched about Germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Many people would still resent them for the wars they have caused, especially WW2 (not so much in Ireland though). This is quite understandable as they seem to be pursuing a policy of detaching themselves from what happened, even though their grandparents voted Hitler into the Reichstag in a democratic election. Good book on the subject called Hitler's Willing Executioners, forgot who wrote it. Anyways, the Germans seem to be sending out the message that it was the Nazis who were responsible for all the evil, while the German nation was just another victim of these stateless Nazis. You do not have to look beyond "Generation War" (was on RTE a few months before) to see this theme. I also remember talking to a few Germans who praised Hitler's economic achievements. This sort of thing would rub you in the wrong way if you ever visited the likes of Auschwitz or Majdanek. Looking at how well the Germans are doing now, a hint of resentment easily creeps in.

On an individual basis the Germans seem like lovely people. I remember doing German grinds for the LC and the German girl only charged me a 10 p/h, where everyone else would look for close to 40 :O . I also like their beer, bockwurst and schmalzkuchen, good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

To be honest I think all beer should be free from so many chemicals. As with good it's very hard to find food nowadays that is actually fine to each. So much of what we see in the shops is flooded with all sorts of additives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

ROAAAR wrote: »
    To be honest I think all beer should be free from so many chemicals. As with good it's very hard to find food nowadays that is actually fine to each. So much of what we see in the shops is flooded with all sorts of additives.

Anything that has the bio mark should be free of crap, or stores like Denn's will definitely have quality produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

My German in-laws are staying with me for Xmas.My German brother in law favourite programmes are father ted and mrs browns.He drinks nothing but Guinness and irish whiskey .I hate both programmes but he quotes them to me every day.Bloody Germans ;)

Advertisement