Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Comments

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Some of the people in the Newstalk show was very sneering and patronizing. Including the interviewer who should be neutral

Along the lines of Peter you can change your ways. I think you are a better person. You don’t realy believe all this. Tell the public Peter, I know you can amend your views. Get a dictionary

Like talking to a bold child or an imbecile

Casey was pretty inarticulate himself though but he was during the campaign too I guess. Not the best speaker

He might not be well-rehearsed, but speaks the plain truth. You won't find a legion of speechwriters around him, unlike Simon Harris and other bluffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,430 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Some of the people in the Newstalk show were very sneering and patronizing. Including the interviewer who should be neutral

Along the lines of Peter you can change your ways. I think you are a better person. You don’t realy believe all this. Tell the public Peter, I know you can amend your views. Get a dictionary

Casey was pretty inarticulate himself though but he was during the campaign too I guess. Not the best speaker

I bet they didn’t tell the Travellers to change their ways or get a dictionary though. The media are a cowardly disgrace as usual. Maybe they should change their ways and amend their views to being neutral and not groveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Peter Casey to appear on a Traveller made podcast. This could be an ambush.

https://www.facebook.com/TraVision.ie/posts/1469636669836559
    TraVision wrote:
    Peter Casey has accepted our invitation to join us on Travision.
    Peter Casey, myself and Dylan Foley.

It's hoped that it's going to be a "conversation" based on common sense even if its on uncommon ground. It's about building a smarter furtue and hopefully bring Settled, and (our) Traveller community looking at "this" from different perspectives.
    More details to follow...
    History
    Present
    And the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Peter Casey says the things other politicians are afraid to say. Gave him my NO. 1 in the presidential election.
    I did as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Peter Casey to appear on a Traveller made podcast. This could be an ambush.

https://www.facebook.com/TraVision.ie/posts/1469636669836559

That will be an interesting listen.

• Advertisement

Listened to the 2nd episode of Casey's Newstalk show last night, thought he did better than the first one. A bit stumbly at times but he made bits of whoever the woman was, she couldn't live with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,957 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another McDonagh has his dodgy whiplash claim thrown out.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/mans-whiplash-claim-dismissed-as-judge-says-certain-actions-are-bringing-system-into-disrepute-37839408.html

Fair play to that judge.

Now, let's start hitting claimants with costs, and we'll see an end to this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭fyfe79

NIMAN wrote: »

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/mans-whiplash-claim-dismissed-as-judge-says-certain-actions-are-bringing-system-into-disrepute-37839408.html

Fair play to that judge.

Now, let's start hitting claimants with costs, and we'll see an end to this nonsense.

Sure they wouldn't pay it, so no point. Courts hitting up for fraudulent claim costs would only effect your regular, working Joe. Which is why regular working Joe's would be more reluctant to bring fraudulent cases to court anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

NIMAN wrote: »

Fair play to that judge.

"The judge awarded Mr McDonagh €2,124 for the damage but said he will have to pay his own Circuit and High Court costs which he said "are likely to be much greater" than the award."

From the Independent article.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Some of the people in the Newstalk show were very sneering and patronizing. Including the interviewer who should be neutral

Casey is dreadfully inarticulate and I say that as someone who voted for him and who loathes travellers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Cyclonius

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Sure they wouldn't pay it, so no point. Courts hitting up for fraudulent claim costs would only effect your regular, working Joe. Which is why regular working Joe's would be more reluctant to bring fraudulent cases to court anyway.

Around the time of the water charges, a bill was introduced to allow for unpaid charges to be deducted from people's wages or social welfare payments. A similar scheme could be introduced in this regard, greatly reducing the opportunity to not pay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

into his car while it was stationery.

What kind of stationery I wonder ? Envelopes? Writing pads? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭jmreire

fyfe79 wrote: »

Yes that's true, but at the same time, it would affect the Solicitors, Barristers and Medical Consultants too. Up to recent times when the claim's epidemic took off, you would not hear of too many claims being rejected and therefore costs not being paid, but now the Nr of claims being rejected is increasing ( and rightly so, as it is a cancer in society ) .....so they might become a bit more selective on which case's they take on, if it means the difference between getting paid or not..

This is how they behave when they don’t get their own way. Demand money to move their caravans from private property. When that money isn’t available, wreck the premises. I wonder how many other businesses pay up just to get rid of them?
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6731155/Travellers-wrecked-historic-brewery-100-strong-mob-jailed-total-eight-years.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Maryanne84 wrote:
    This is how they behave when they don’t get their own way. Demand money to move their caravans from private property. When that money isn’t available, wreck the premises. I wonder how many other businesses pay up just to get rid of them?

A friend of mine worked in a meat factory in a west of Ireland town several years ago . Travellers pulled in to the car park refused to move unless they got money.
    Plant manager had two workers move two skips containing offal into the car park by forktruck. Height of summer. Travellers f**ked off fairly sharpish.

Kind of off topic but have ye seen the episodes of Can't Pay We'll Take it Away with the travellers? I think they were featured in 2 episodes. Truly entertaining TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6731155/Travellers-wrecked-historic-brewery-100-strong-mob-jailed-total-eight-years.html

Absolute scum.

Word on the streets of Clonmel is that a house, recently renovated by the council for a traveller family was destroyed by another traveller family because they wanted it.

http://tippfm.com/news/crime-legal/clonmel-house-vandals-may-sustained-injuries/

Looks like fingers are being pointed elsewhere going by this comment...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/vandals-attack-home-set-to-house-traveller-family-909535.html
    "According to the Tipperary Rural Traveller Network, a Traveller family from the Clonmel area was due to move into the house in the near future, but it’s unclear now if this will go ahead.

“They were ready to move in,” said Margaret Casey of the Tipperary Rural Traveller Network. “It’s just despicable... This is incitement to hatred, that’s the kind of act that this is.

“I hope whoever did it is found and gets justice for it.”

Margaret Casey ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Bloody Amish are at it again.
    After a >50k clean up of dumping in Cork, a caravan (full of rubbish) pushed down hill as a final "fcúk you" to everyone.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Brazen-dumpers-discard-caravan-full-of-rubbish-on-the-site-of-massive-clean-up-b7975361-d3ab-418d-8b55-27213d1ef61a-ds

Some steel fencing also "missing"

Purely coincidentally, theres a halting side beside it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

They're a great lot there

Be a major cause of a €53,000 clear up

Then lay a claim to the cleaned up site

Travellers: Use cleaned-up dump to provide accommodation for us

The spokesperson for the Traveller group added: “We welcome the clean-up by Cork City Council of Spring Lane and Ellis Yard.

“This should bring great relief to the residents of both Spring Lane and the surrounding estates. Along with the clean-up, there needs to be a proactive plan to prevent future rubbish dumping.

“Much of Ellis’s Yard has been zoned for Traveller accommodation as far back as 2015. Time is long overdue that the current City Development Plan gets implemented in this regard.

“For too long, funding available at national level for the building of Traveller accommodation has not been drawn down.

“Along with this, City Council needs to re-start its estate management meetings and meet with the residents in Spring Lane to discuss and agree ongoing maintenance issues, including the issue of rubbish disposal.

“The existing site, built for 10 families, is almost 30 years old. It now accommodates about 35 families, including close to 100 children, and is in urgent need of refurbishment.

“In our view, direct engagement with, and involvement of, the Spring Lane residents is key to finding amicable solutions,” the TVG spokesperson added.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Travellers-Use-cleaned-up-dump-to-provide-accommodation-for-us-3091d48d-6e0e-428a-a96f-b6243ee61438-ds

Wouldn't you think after child number 99 arrived on the halting site they would think, hold on a sec, we are practically homeless, living in terrible conditions... maybe we should stop this until our situation has improved and/or we have jobs capable of supporting these children.

Unthinkable, I know.

Ha that will be the day :)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/vandals-attack-home-set-to-house-traveller-family-909535.html
    "According to the Tipperary Rural Traveller Network, a Traveller family from the Clonmel area was due to move into the house in the near future, but it’s unclear now if this will go ahead.

“They were ready to move in,” said Margaret Casey of the Tipperary Rural Traveller Network. “It’s just despicable... This is incitement to hatred, that’s the kind of act that this is.

Margaret Casey ;)

Well, they’re not going to point the finger at their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Margaret Casey ;)

Bernard Sweeney is blaming the racist settled people anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2252266565024250&id=100007227857780
    A family who were homeless and were forced to live on the side and had waited over 10 years to have a home. There was 100k damage done to the home awaiting a family and 100k that could had been used for other human beings in similar or even in worse situations. Whoever it was had spent hours of demolishing the internal part of the house, it took hours of heavy banging and smashing and nobody heard a thing?. Even all those who fight for equality stumble upon themselves trying to figure out what is racism and what is not when it comes to Irish Travellers. We don't seem to have the same social conscience impact as some other minorities might have?.

It is accepted in all quarters of Irish Society that Irish Travellers are victims of racisim. let it be on the conscious mind or deep in the subconscious mind. Wouldn't that then mean that the vast majority of the Settled community are then "institutionalized racists"?. It's more or less factual, almost in it's entirety. Sure, let's talk about "white on white racisim". In my opinion, racisim had started in Ireland, and racism has remained in Ireland, deep within the psyche of most people who think that are not racist at all.

In my opinion there are two kinds of "racisms", or at at least the two I feel is most relevant in this situation. It's implicit and explicit racisim, but both have devastating effects and are felt by victims. The racisim 'we' cannot see. There are lot of things that we cannot see by the naked eye, but yet, we know that there is something there, as we may feel it in some way or another. That's what implicit means, it's we all know there is something but we may not see it but we are pretty much in agreement. This why Settled people find it difficult to come to peace or understanding on "implicit racism". Think about it?, 'we' as a people, as fellow humans die 12/15 years younger than the general population, 7% times higher racing suicide, huge levels of "discrimination" that is widely known. 80% more like to get refused employment opportunities that most people. This kind of implicit racisim is literally killing men women and children.

Explicit racism it's pretty much the one that was engineered in the USA, but has its origins in the England. The Irish were once victims of racism of a different kind but over time they could not justify other "white people" speaking and behaving in the same way they might. So "Political Slave Trade" creates the other racisim, "explicit racism" this was to make somebody more visual, "something" that could be seen. The kinda same bastards that had "justified" slavery for centuries and nobody had noticed?. People by the 'colour' of one's skin became the Americans construct and the British version of racism. These same bastards live among us today and they don't give a **** about any of us!, Traveller/Black/Settled and the sooner we all come to that conclusion the better chance of saving all our planet.

Would you like to live or be treated like an Traveller?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭BobMc

Heard Ber on today Fm yesterday evening, talk about talking out your Arse,

They just dont get it do they, until they behave and conduct themselves like the majority of society,
    (you fill in the blanks, go to school, contribute to society not just leach of it etc etc. etc.)

they will continue forever to be treated differently, its not being racist, its people sick of having to put up with
    their bull**** behaviours

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Word on the streets of Clonmel is that a house, recently renovated by the council for a traveller family was destroyed by another traveller family because they wanted it.

That was Settled Maori monks actually.

BobMc wrote: »
    Heard Ber on today Fm yesterday evening, talk about talking out your Arse,

They just dont get it do they, until they behave and conduct themselves like the majority of society,
    (you fill in the blanks, go to school, contribute to society not just leach of it etc etc. etc.)

they will continue forever to be treated differently, its not being racist, its people sick of having to put up with
    their bull**** behaviours

They see themselves as the victims

One of the comments under Bernard's post

"Until travellers starts putting up some kind of a fight against the way that Irish racist people who seems to be able to discriminate against travellers with no fear of the law or anyone else 😡. It’s time to stand up and do something about it ourselves"

Bernard Sweeney is blaming the racist settled people anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2252266565024250&id=100007227857780

Some man to talk sh*te isn't he.

"7% times higher racing suicide"
    Is that some thing to do with the sulky races? Someone may tell him the horses aren't committing suicide. Actually maybe they are.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    That was Settled Maori monks actually.

:pac:
    Shaolin boys on the way, that'll be some feud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Tiguan Joe

bump

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement