Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Yes, I emigrated to Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

So im down stairs, my bedroom is right above the sitting room, everyone else is in bed asleep and suddenly I hear my bedroom door open, like someone has pushed it very hard, I ignore it thinking its someone awake going into my room, I then hear the door violently shut, again I ignore it. A few minutes later I hear it open again, at this point im thinking who is in my room but I ignore it, door slams again, , It happens a third time so I go upstairs to check who keeps going into my room, my bedroom door is wide open and the light is on, I check to see if my parents are awake and ask them if they where in my room - no response, theyre both asleep so I check my brothers room - hes also alseep. I turn off the light and close the door, go back down stairs.
    A couple of minutes later the door is banged open again, then slammed shut, it then happens again, and a third time. I thought its my brother being a d!ck so I ignore it but I am starting to feel that something isnt right, I would have heard someone walking around and my brothers room is the other end of the house, door opens again, I run upstairs, no sign of anyone but my bedroom light is on and my door is wide open again. I go back down stairs, this happens a third time, everyone in the house was asleep, it eventually stops. The next day I asked my family if they heard the banging the night before but none of them heard it, it was so loud, the ceiling was shaking but no one else heard it. I never figured out what it was but it still freaks me out when I think about it.

This has the hairs standing on my neck. I'm in my room now and can hear creaks and bangs. Home alone and just hoping it's the wind that's here tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

This has the hairs standing on my neck. I'm in my room now and can hear creaks and bangs. Home alone and just hoping it's the wind that's here tonight.

Wwooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

To thine own self be true

Wwooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

I will survive. Pretty sure the odd banging noise is the attic door. The draught runs down the hall or so I tell myself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

It was really strange, for years we kept hearing strange noises in the house like footsteps down stairs at night, footsteps walking up the stairs, one time I was in the house alone and in my room, I heard something run past my door, it rubbed off my door as it went past and I heard it rub past the radiator that's on the landing, it really freaked me out as I knew the cat was outside and the cat was the only rational explanation I could come up with, I opened the door, there was nothing there, looked around the house to see if the cat got in - he didnt.

Years ago my mother heard something in a box of old toys, sounded like a bird was trapped, she could hear the flutter of wings, she opened the box and there was nothing in it but some toy blocks and plastic figurines.

Another time in the bathroom, shortly after we moved into the house, as it's an old house we only had a bath - no shower, so I was getting ready to have a bath when I heard a distant female voice distressingly shouting stop - It was distant but coming from the room if that makes sense, it was faint but clearly someone shouting and loud enough to hear it, like it was coming from a tunnel.
    I always felt a presence in the house, especially in certain rooms, like feeling watched by someone. I never liked being home alone but a couple of years ago the noises stopped, no ones heard anything since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bb12

so my family home is a hundreds of years old rural house that lots of my ancestors have lived in. on the wall in the living room we have 2 pictures of my great aunts who lived there a hundred years ago. i was home one evening with my brother and a friend visiting from the uk. we were just chatting and the conversation turned to the pics of the aunts on the wall and as we were talking about them the whole house suddenly went dark...bit spooku but no biggie, just a fuse gone or something right? but when my brother checked the fuse box nothing was wrong. he pulled down the trip switch and put it up again and lights came back. when i went to bed later that night i realised that my alarm clock on my bedside table which has no backup batteries in it didn't need to be reset and was still showing the correct time after the outtage. this clock always had to be reset following the fainest flicker of the electricity.

It was really strange, for years we kept hearing strange noises in the house like footsteps down stairs at night, footsteps walking up the stairs, one time I was in the house alone and in my room, I heard something run past my door, it rubbed off my door as it went past and I heard it rub past the radiator that's on the landing, it really freaked me out as I knew the cat was outside and the cat was the only rational explanation I could come up with, I opened the door, there was nothing there, looked around the house to see if the cat got in - he didnt.

Years ago my mother heard something in a box of old toys, sounded like a bird was trapped, she could hear the flutter of wings, she opened the box and there was nothing in it but some toy blocks and plastic figurines.

Another time in the bathroom, shortly after we moved into the house, as it's an old house we only had a bath - no shower, so I was getting ready to have a bath when I heard a distant female voice distressingly shouting stop - It was distant but coming from the room if that makes sense, it was faint but clearly someone shouting and loud enough to hear it, like it was coming from a tunnel.
    I always felt a presence in the house, especially in certain rooms, like feeling watched by someone. I never liked being home alone but a couple of years ago the noises stopped, no ones heard anything since.

I'm sure it would be beneficial if someone knew the local history and history of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

Happens a lot from where I am too, also Co. Limerick

happened to an uncle of mine in co clare, around 81-82 on his own land, he is passed now but swore he could not get out for hours yet he knew the land like the back of his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

A couple of years ago I was travelling from Cork to Dublin on one of those Euroline buses, at the very back of the bus there where 3 seat's and a toilet, I sat at the very back in one of these seats at the window. The bus was practically empty for the whole journey, there was only a handful of passengers, we made a stop down the country somewhere when this weirdo couple got on the bus.
    They could have sat anywhere as there where loads of empty seats but they decided to sit right beside me in the two empty seats at the back of the bus. It was a tight fit as the toilet was directly across from us, the back seats where very small so the guy that sat beside me was squeezed up against me and his partner on the other side for the whole journey, I tried to get up to move to another seat at one stage but they wouldnt move to let me out.
    Neither of them really spoke to one another, they didnt have a book or a phone or anything, they just stared straight ahead in near total silence for the entire time.
    When the bus got to Dublin, the final stop, they just sat there, I tried getting passed them but they wouldnt move, I asked them would they mind letting me out, they moved their legs slightly to the side where I had to awkwardly squeeze past the both of them. They continued to sit there as everyone else got off the bus.

Almost 20 years ago I worked as a tour guide. I had many experiences of people experiencing a presence on tours.
    Part of the work involved visiting the old lighthouse in the centre of Inismór on the Aran Islands and Eochaill ringfort. In the centre of the ringfort is a circular mound of stones. It's not known if they had a purpose or were the collection of stones from the fort walls as they fell over the centuries. Children often left the centre of the fort crying and when asked why they would explain that they had been playing with other children there. I remember in particular two Belgian children explaining the huge crowd of children they played with and the way they were dressed (not from this era). They said the children were crying and didn't want to be left alone again. It would unnerve me as I often spent time there alone in the mist and fog.
    One foggy misty evening when I was getting ready to leave I was walking back from the fort to the main road and the sound of horses galloping came roaring towards me and then stopped. I thought there must have been one or two at least by the sounds and that they knew my whereabouts and were just curious. The following day was crystal clear and when I was up there again I thought about the horses. I was up on top of the old lighthouse looking about and realised there were no horses to be seen in any of the fields I'd been walking through.
    Often a tourist would ask who owned the horses that heard and saw around the ringfort. I had never seen one there to be able to give them an answer.
    The old lighthouse has a circular staircase installed when it would be quiet I'd often go up and have my lunch or relax at the top. The door was big and heavy and held back with a cavity block. I often heard the door creak as if closing yet when I'd look it hadn't been moved.
    I always felt coming down the stairs a sense or presence that I could be pushed or was being encouraged to leave. When I'd lock the door a sense of calm would descend like someone was glad I'd left and was frustrated with all the visitors. I never found out if anything had happened there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

oceanman wrote: »
    Happens a lot from where I am too, also Co. Limerick

happened to an uncle of mine in co clare, around 81-82 on his own land, he is passed now but swore he could not get out for hours yet he knew the land like the back of his hand.

https://youtu.be/Q5cz6MtwnCM

Being an old farmhouse it would very likely have plenty of bats, I’d say there’s a good roost in the attic. But would only account for some bits of noise and movements etc.

Years ago when Gaybo was hosting the Late Late Show and myself and my mother went around for the evening to her cousin’s huge old Victorian house on the road behind us, Uri Geller was one of the guests on and he began with his usual fork-bending tricks, of which I was skeptical although I think Gaybo vouched that they were regular forks from the RTE canteen. He suggested that anyone watching, who had an old broken wind-up clock that hadn’t worked in years, to wind the clock up now, but that it wouldn’t start to tick until he worked his spell later on the show. My mother’s cousin had an old broken clock, same vintage as the house and the rest of the furniture in it. She asked me to take it down from mantelpiece and wind it up for the fun. Of course it didn’t start working, at least then. Uri came back on (can’t recall if there was another guest between) and said “right, everybody at home look at your broken clock, I will count down 60 seconds (or whatever it was) and your clock will start ticking. Well we nearly jumped out of our skin when that old clock began ticking at that precise moment! Alas it stopped ticking after about a minute or two, but that was one moment that sort-of proved to me that Uri Geller was no fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

sweetie wrote: »
    Have to admit I was expecting poor Ned to get stabbed there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Being an old farmhouse it would very likely have plenty of bats, I’d say there’s a good roost in the attic. But would only account for some bits of noise and movements etc.

Theres definitely no bats in the house, The roof is relatively new, it had to be fixed up when we moved in for insulation, the only entrance to the attic is from one of the bedrooms, theres a scuttle hole. There are no other holes in the ceiling for anything to get in or out in any part of the house, also the water tank is in the attic and it regularly breaks down and leaks so there's always someone going up to fix it.
    I dont really believe in ghosts and im sure theres a rational explanation for the noises, I just havnt figured out one that's plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

oceanman wrote: »

Happened to my father years ago working in a field for a farmer had been there loads of times got dark as he was working and could not find his way out for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I was at the wake of a friend of my wife's and the house was full and as we waited to take our chance to go over to the coffin, someone touched my lower back (poked it with a finger). Now the room was crowded so I assumed it was just an accidental bump. A moment or two later, same again, quite deliberate, so I look around and see that the nearest individual that could have touched me is a man in a suit, who is looking away.Everyone else has tea in their hands so it had to be him. I change places so that I am in the queue for tea, well out of his reach. I get a cup of tea and move a few steps away and within seconds, I get touched again. Suit man has stepped close enough to touch me and when I turn and look at him, he simply changes direction and takes up a cup from further along. I move around and place myself as near to the coffin as I can get.About a minute later, touched again. In the second it takes me to turn, suit man has stepped out a side door and is last seen walking briskly away. Needless to say, it unnerves me but I dont see the guy again for the rest of the time we spent there. I didn't tell me wife about it then or since.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

its a good thing you didn't bend over

Back in late noughties my mother and I attended her elder sister’s funeral. A lady in her late 80s, she and my mother used to be in touch by phone every couple of weeks and she lived in the home of a daughter in reasonably good health. A few weeks passed and my mother, always a bit reticent about disturbing family in her neice’s rather large house that spread over three floors, said she’d leave calling for a bit as it always involved a young more remote member of family shouting up or down the stairs etc in days before widespread mobile phones.

Anyway the lady in question died quite suddenly at home, of a stroke. My mother felt she should maybe have made ammore of an effort to contact the elder sister again, but didn’t dwell on this too much and attended the funeral in good spirits nonetheless, with my aunt’s family focussing on the positivity of her life well lived. My mother, being a bit disabled and not young herself, was allowed front seat in funeral car, and in to view her sister laid out in funeral home. My aunt looked lovely and always with a good peachy complexion in life, had an unusually lifelike appearance in death (as my mother subsequently had some years later!).

My mother (whom I had to support by hand as her balance was very poor) pulled me close up to the open coffin and said >Her name< how are you? I meant to phone you, but didn’t manage to do that so that’s why I’m asking. I nearly dropped dead myself at what happened next. My aunt’s lips started to move, her eyes opened slightly but very distinctly and her blue eyes gazed gently in our direction. My mother exclaimed “ Yes you hear me! You are responding! I love you, my sweet sister”

And then she moved back contentedly to let other family members hopefully enjoy similar goodbye. Her younger sister was rather hurt she didn’t get same experience, and said “that’s always been my story, ignored as the youngest”.

My deceased aunt’s children declared immediate skepticism and denial that anything could have happened, as their family motto, including my late aunt’s was always logic and rationality first and always. About two years ago one of her daughters very reluctantly admitted she saw the same thing but insists it was down to my mother pressing down on her body and making her move. My poor mother was rather too fragile to be pressing down on her sister’s body, and indeed i was rather firmly holding her upright at rather a little remove from the coffin.

It really freaked me out, but comforted my mother enormously, who was further reassured of a positive afterlife. I said to Mum that if you freak me out like that when you’re dead I’ll kill you and she assured me of no such shenanigans. Indeed when she was laid out she looked extremely glamorous and well at 89, and with s very young grand-nephew having a knock on her iced body and asking “Is Aunt >her name< just out of the freezer?”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^

paragraphs please

• Advertisement

Driving home tonight I was driving into the setting sun. As darkness fell I had full beams on when necessary. I came over the brow of a hill where you can see ahead for a fair stretch. I could see a person on the side of the road walking as I got closer I could see they were walking in the direction I was driving but with their thumb out hitching a lift. I slowed to size them up see what they were carrying etc. Appeared to be a young man by the pace of walk and tall enough. Long coat and hood up.
    I didn't stop as it just didn't feel right so carried on.
    Not long after passing them a car passed me going the opposite direction. As the car passed it put on its full beams again, I looked in my rear view mirror but there was no sight of the hitchhiker. I couldn't have been more than 10 seconds since I passed them. This stretch of road has no houses or turn offs.
    Not sure am I creeped or puzzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Driving home tonight I was driving into the setting sun. As darkness fell I had full beams on when necessary. I came over the brow of a hill where you can see ahead for a fair stretch. I could see a person on the side of the road walking as I got closer I could see they were walking in the direction I was driving but with their thumb out hitching a lift. I slowed to size them up see what they were carrying etc. Appeared to be a young man by the pace of walk and tall enough. Long coat and hood up.
    I didn't stop as it just didn't feel right so carried on.
    Not long after passing them a car passed me going the opposite direction. As the car passed it put on its full beams again, I looked in my rear view mirror but there was no sight of the hitchhiker. I couldn't have been more than 10 seconds since I passed them. This stretch of road has no houses or turn offs.
    Not sure am I creeped or puzzled.

They were lying on the roof of your car clinging on with their fingertips. You slowed down for too long. :eek:

They were lying on the roof of your car clinging on with their fingertips. You slowed down for too long. :eek:

Stop that's the last thing I want to be thinking about. I did check all around my car last night and this morning before driving. Even checked the backseat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Stop that's the last thing I want to be thinking about. I did check all around my car last night and this morning before driving. Even checked the backseat.

Oh my god! Not in your car? That means they're already in your wardrobe/under your bed waiting to grab your ankle!

check_six wrote: »
    Oh my god! Not in your car? That means they're already in your wardrobe/under your bed waiting to grab your ankle!

Give over. I'd nearly call ye all something and take a ban for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I looked in my rear view mirror but there was no sight of the hitchhiker. .

Was this them ;)

M3Ut8sG.gif

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Another thing that came to mind. About three years after my father’s death from a very long illness where he spent much of his time in the sunny rear bedroom of our old semi-d, my mother and I sold up to move into a modern apartment as befitted her reduced mobility. In the meantime I had moved into that lovely rear bedroom which overlooked the garden with mature trees at the end an a great big old Victorian house behind. On the last night, a quiet one weather-wise, I heard a clink in the fireplace at 1am exactly as I had been excited and awake looking at the clock, with the prospect of the house move ahead. Curious, I got up, and looked in the hearth to see a shiny gold medal. It was a Child of Prague medal. I showed it to my mother who wondered whether a prospective buyer had placed it up there, likely, or had a crow dropped it down the chimney, but we had a crow protector on chimney pots so highly unlikely. I dashed down to switch on the computer, and though it was very early google days I came up with some connection with the medal being associated with moving house.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Another thing that came to mind. About three years after my father’s death from a very long illness where he spent much of his time in the sunny rear bedroom of our old semi-d, my mother and I sold up to move into a modern apartment as befitted her reduced mobility. In the meantime I had moved into that lovely rear bedroom which overlooked the garden with mature trees at the end an a great big old Victorian house behind. On the last night, a quiet one weather-wise, I heard a clink in the fireplace at 1am exactly as I had been excited and awake looking at the clock, with the prospect of the house move ahead. Curious, I got up, and looked in the hearth to see a shiny gold medal. It was a Child of Prague medal. I showed it to my mother who wondered whether a prospective buyer had placed it up there, likely, or had a crow dropped it down the chimney, but we had a crow protector on chimney pots so highly unlikely. I dashed down to switch on the computer, and though it was very early google days I came up with some connection with the medal being associated with moving house.

I have a question about stories like this,

Do you think the medal appeared out of now where at some point , like just materialised where you found it ,

Or did the ghost have to take it there from some where so you could see it floating up the street or from wherever the ghost came from ? that's assuming the a ghost put it there ,

Again im not joking just wondering how people think things get there,

I have a question about stories like this,

Do you think the medal appeared out of now where at some point , like just materialised where you found it ,

Or did the ghost have to take it there from some where so you could see it floating up the street or from wherever the ghost came from ? that's assuming the a ghost put it there ,

Again im not joking just wondering how people think things get there,

As my mother said “it was probably the buyer who put it up there in the hope of making the successful bid for the house, but wasn’t it fortuitous that it dropped down just now and when you were awake to hear it!” The successful bidder was a traditional churchgoing Catholic family, one of the two other auction bidders was Protestant. I checked and could feel a ledge where it would have been placed. My mother reckoned it was my late father who gave it the nudge as his way of showing a thumbs up and wishing us luck with the move!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

As my mother said “it was probably the buyer who put it up there in the hope of making the successful bid for the house, but wasn’t it fortuitous that it dropped down just now and when you were awake to hear it!” The successful bidder was a traditional churchgoing Catholic family, one of the two other auction bidders was Protestant. I checked and could feel a ledge where it would have been placed. My mother reckoned it was my late father who gave it the nudge as his way of showing a thumbs up and wishing us luck with the move!

I mean in general when people think a relative has left something somewhere for them to see,

Just interested to see do people think it materialise or is it taken there

Advertisement