Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Linehan given police warning for "transphobia"

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

A deed poll is just a piece of paper that says you promise to go by the new name. If you want a passport with your new name you have to show evidence you've been using the name for a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

About 3,000 women each week in the UK experience rape or attempted rape or assault by penetration.

Are these tiny number of incidents really that 'interesting' in the context of the overall problems of violence against women? Are they a bit of a distraction for anyone who is really concerned about solving violence against women?

Ok what!? You're allowed to find something interesting or worthy of a comment without having to mention all the other greater evils. That's called whataboutery I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,986 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It's not just about violence, it's about the erosion of women's sex based rights.

Though no such rights have been eroded in three years of self-identification here in Ireland.

A deed poll is just a piece of paper that says you promise to go by the new name. If you want a passport with your new name you have to show evidence you've been using the name for a couple of years.
    That's right, in fact, you don't need a deed poll at all - anyone can just change their name at any time and start using their new name.

So why all the fuss about gender identity changes?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ok what!? You're allowed to find something interesting or worthy of a comment without having to mention all the other greater evils. That's called whataboutery I believe.
    You can call it what you like, but it certainly puts into context the stated concerns about protecting women from being raped.

I'd have thought that anyone who was really genuinely concerned about protecting women from being raped might like to prioritise doing something about some of the very real, current, actual causes of women being raped, instead of obsessing with potential, future causes from other jurisdictions which don't really apply to the Irish legal scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I see Stephanie has got the local police force to arrest another person for tweeting her dead name.

It’s reported in the daily mail but to not make the paper that reported it the issue I’ll link instead to the mumsnet discussion on it.

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3504035-Sky-News-just-featured-story-appearing-in-tomorrows-Sunday-Mail

Excellent, and fair play. You have managed to find a thread that the gender Stasi haven't managed to shut down. How long will it last I wonder.

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

That's right, in fact, you don't need a deed poll at all - anyone can just change their name at any time and start using their new name.

So why all the fuss about gender identity changes?

Well you can't actually change your gender, you're born male or female and all the surgery and hormones don't change that.

As for changing your identity. Well if I want to be known as 'Robert Wolfe' irl, it'll be at least 2 years before I'll get a passport with that name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Does anyone have an opinion on the cotton ceiling?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Dante7 wrote: »

Yeah, it's kinda a gross term as apparently the cotton refers to 'underwear'.

Seriously though. Are transgenders equally proportionally attracted to ppl of their opposite preferred gender in the same way 90% of cisgender are attracted to their opposite sex.

Oh forget it, I've giving myself a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

According to their Twitter, Stephanie is soon to commence legal proceedings against Associated Newspapers Limited for daring to report on this. I'm amazed she has the money for all these legal proceedings. That, or it's all bull****, I'm yet to hear of one actually taking place.

Either way, I'm sure Stephanie is loving the attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

According to their Twitter, Stephanie is soon to commence legal proceedings against Associated Newspapers Limited for daring to report on this. I'm amazed they have the money for all these legal proceedings. That, or it's all bull****, I'm yet to hear of one actually taking place.

Either way, I'm sure Stephanie is loving the attention.
    As far as I know, it costs newspapers (usually the more tabloid types) more not to publish articles that could result in litigation - the circulation/clicks figures far exceeding the legal costs. I'd say their legal departments are always pretty busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

The UK are revising their policy regarding trans identifying male prisoners being transferred to female prisons, after violence against women in prisons from males, and
    after officials forecast that numbers of trans or non-binary prisoners in England and Wales could rise to 1,000, up from 139 last year. There are about 4,000 biological women in prison

So, trans prisoners will now most likely have separate wings in the prison. Which should have been what was done in the first place. The government have probably been scared off because of potential law suits.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/prisons-to-get-transgender-wings-6b2xpr88g

And in other news the UK Office for Students, the Commission for Countering Extremism, the National Union of Students (NUS) and Universities UK in cooperation with the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) have issued guidance to Universities advising against deplatforming people with views that have of late been described as ''hate speech'' or triggering ie the biological stance on sex etc. People holding views that are not acceptable to some are perfectly entitled to think and argue their opinions.

So, things are perhaps beginning to move towards a rational balance.

Looks like someone was telling porkies about Ian Huntley, while the angry mob with flaming pitchforks here and on Mumsnet just gobbled up all the spoofing

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Looks like someone was telling porkies about Ian Huntley, while the angry mob with flaming pitchforks here and on Mumsnet just gobbled up all the spoofing

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1094931865318948864?s=19

Thanks for sharing that.
    I don't know where those story comes from. it even popped up after again after that statement was made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

In his attempts to smear trans people, Linehan repeated this lie a lot. I wonder if he'll have the decency to apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

In his attempts to smear trans people, Linehan repeated this lie a lot. I wonder if he'll have the decency to apologise.

Jaysus lads I'm sure whoever posted it didn't mean to hurt his feelings, sure write him a letter and apologise if ye feel that bad about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

And he certainly should.

Whatever about the merits of his crusade, he should acknowledge that using a made-up story from a tabloid is not on.

Dante7 wrote: »

For those wondering, the cotton ceiling refers to lesbians who aren't attracted to trans women who identify as lesbians.

My opinion on it is that people have the right to be attracted to whatever they want and I'm not going to tell those lesbians who they should be attracted to. It's unfortunate for the trans women lesbians but there's not a lot you can do when it comes to sexual attraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

For those wondering, the cotton ceiling refers to lesbians who aren't attracted to trans women who identify as lesbians.

My opinion on it is that people have the right to be attracted to whatever they want and I'm not going to tell those lesbians who they should be attracted to. It's unfortunate for the trans women lesbians but there's not a lot you can do when it comes to sexual attraction.

It's mostly to do with lesbians not being attracted to willies, because, well, the nature of lesbians is that they seem to like other ladies fannies. Not willies, not even cute girl dicks. They just mostly don't want dicks. That's all. The bad lesbians. :mad:

Gravelly wrote: »

Jaysus lads I'm sure whoever posted it didn't mean to hurt his feelings, sure write him a letter and apologise if ye feel that bad about it.
    It's not really a matter of Huntley's hurt feelings.

The important issue is the hurt caused to many transgender people by demonising them based on a completely false premise.

It's not really a matter of Huntley's hurt feelings.

The important issue is the hurt caused to many transgender people by demonising them based on a completely false premise.

there were people calling for him to be moved to a women's prison because of that story and reporting people for "misgendering" him. Bet they feel silly now. it has happened that violent offenders are claiming to be trans in order to be moved. The fact that psychopathic liar Huntley is now claiming that this story is false doesn't change that.

Sure this happened in the UK didn't it? I see you can discuss things that happened there when it suits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

The story was used by trans haters with the help of their right wing media supporters in British tabloids to bash all transgender people by associating them with a child serial killer.

klaaaz wrote: »
    The story was used by trans haters with the help of their right wing media supporters in British tabloids to bash all transgender people by associating them with a child serial killer.

No it wasn't. It was pointing out the ridiculousness of allowing prisoners who identify as women to transfer to women's prisons. People were literally calling for this to happen based on the story and reporting people for "deadnaming" him.

Even if it was true how is one trans person being a killer reflective on the entire community? Nobody was saying it had anything to do with trans people as a whole ffs

No it wasn't. It was pointing out the ridiculousness of allowing prisoners who identify as women to transfer to women's prisons. Even if it was true how is one trans person being a killer reflective on the entire community? Nobody was saying it had anything to do with trans people as a whole ffs

A story of a "trans child serial killer" implies to the public that all transgender people are a danger to both women and children. It's a vile smear, that's what the tabloids do, experts in sensationalism and lies, and some of their followers on boards picked up on that Huntley story to bash transgender people.

Nope. Please link to where all transgender people were "bashed". The situation that allows people to self id as a woman was, yes. That is not the same as smearing all trans gender people. The persecution complex is real though

The fact is, people were calling for Huntley to be treated as a woman , including being transferred to a women's prison, based on this story. Him turning out not be trans at all just highlights how ridiculous the self id situation is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A story of a "white male serial killer" implies to the public that all white male people are a danger to both women and children. Nope that doesn't work either. Even though most serial killers that have been identified have been white and male. Outside of a tiny band of purple haired loons on Tumblr nobody is thinking all white men are potential serial killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

If Ian Huntley isn't trans, then should all us non-trans men get all offended that he is somehow casting aspersions on us? :rolleyes:

Nope. Please link to where all transgender people were "bashed". The situation that allows people to self id as a woman was, yes. That is not the same as smearing all trans gender people. The persecution complex is real though

Here you go, enjoy the read https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057881617
    Even the heading of that thread associates transsexuals themselves with Huntley when it's nothing to do with them.

My problem with the Huntley story is there are genuine concerns to be addressed here and nothing is helped when made up stories are used to make a point.

If someone circulates a false story to support their argument and then doesn't acknowledge that they made a mistake, then I would view that as acting in bad faith.

Linehan can be quite a díck online but there are definitely issues worthy of discussion when rights clash as is the case with women's spaces and self id. This is a controversial topic that people have strong opinions about and false stories just make it more of a shítshow than it needs to be.

Here you go, enjoy the read https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057881617
    Even the heading of that thread associates transsexuals themselves with Huntley when it's nothing to do with them.

The thread is titled "transsexual prisoners". How does that associate all transsexual people with Huntley exactly? I'd have thought the "prisoners" part excludes the vast majority of transsexual people

Really? Huntley is not a transsexual prisoner. The thread title was not "Huntley prison controversy" or "Huntley allegation to be trans" or something like that, it was simply titled "transsexual prisoners", a dangerous slur associating Huntley with transsexual people. A tabloid would have been proud of that headline.