Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭trick

gctest50 wrote: »
    That's ok if it happens once in a blue moon

If it's happening all the time and yer putting up with it , it's just martydom

###LMAO AGAIN.. jo public just can’t understand the reality of the job. Nothing to do with “martydom” sp
    And again, I said that I wasn’t complaining about it. ####

Total up the hours and get them off a future days shift ( get a half-day or something )

###Get a half day???
    When you have 30 patients and a max of 3 staff nurses including yourself. Half days don’t exist on hospital wards. ###

DON'T accept cash for the excess hours - they love fixing cr@p by just firing money at it

Just stop work in plenty time and do your notes so you are out the door at 20:30

Unless there is a bus crash or something, you stop in good time and do yer notes and gtf out the door

It's abuse at the moment. Plain and simple.

F*ck that, change it

I never metioned notes when I said that it’s necesaery to stay late sometimes.
    You could have a patient back from theatre & it’s up to you to start their post op care. You could have a confused patient with Alzheimer’s kicking off (the night staff need to get medications started so they aren’t able to sort it out).
    You could have an admission at change over, this is your responsibility to do.
    These are just 3 examples. There are MANY more variables.

The reason I mentioned the working hours not being strictly 37 hours (as another poster posted) is because that is not the reality and it’s not martyrdom either.

(( sorry I made a blip replying, the ### bits are mine, I’m on my phone & it’s not cooperating)

****Further addition as you edited your post after I replied.

It’s a BIG stretch to say that people will be killed by nurses going on strike.
    Deliberately obtuse to get a rise.
    I’m not biting ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Unions have ruined this country. They used to serve a very necessary purpose, but these days its just constant calling of strikes in order to get paid more and more.

Unions still serve a necessary purpose, but they are usually only used for the wrong segment of the working population in Ireland currently.

Unions are needed to have guaranteed working hours and pay, standard working conditions, a guaranteed pension ect. All these things are already there for people working in the public sector generally.

It is private sector employees who need unions in this country. To ensure no zero hour contracts, to have guaranteed overtime payed, to be paid at least the minimum wage, to have a guaranteed pension after a set amount of working years, to have job security ect.

Unions are usually fighting for the rights of the wrong segment of workers in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

changing nursing to a 4 year degree was a mistake. In 2004 70% of nurses were emigating

So we should "hobble" them so they don't run away then ?????

Same as the early days of the Kimberly Diamond mines ?

Kimberly diamond mine :

IEQM3SZ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Unions still serve a necessary purpose, but they are usually only used for the wrong segment of the working population in Ireland currently.

Unions are needed to have guaranteed working hours and pay, standard working conditions, a guaranteed pension ect. All these things are already there for people working in the public sector generally.

It is private sector employees who need unions in this country. To ensure no zero hour contracts, to have guaranteed overtime payed, to be paid at least the minimum wage, to have a guaranteed pension after a set amount of working years, to have job security ect.

Unions are usually fighting for the rights of the wrong segment of workers in Ireland.

AFAIK the last strike in the health service was to reduce duration of working shifts for doctors to a maximum of 24 hours. It was a single day strike like this proposed one where EDs stayed open and emergencies were managed normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Should give it to the care assistants eg slaves

• Advertisement

Mike9832 wrote: »

???
    I worked as an agency care assistant when I trained. I was far from a slave!

Even with care assistants, the pay differential between public and private is really big, can be double in some cases.

More martyrdom - don't wanna lift landwhales -stay at home

What we don't want is a nurse with years of experience unable anymore to work at 40 years of age because her back is knackered from lifting said landwhales

AFAIK the last strike in the health service was to reduce duration of working shifts for doctors to a maximum of 24 hours. It was a single day strike like this proposed one where EDs stayed open and emergencies were managed normally.

Junior Doctors were treated horrendously in fairness. But that seemed like a legacy/anomaly issue when considered within the entire public sector as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Junior Doctors were treated horrendously in fairness. But that seemed like a legacy/anomaly issue when considered within the entire public sector as a whole.

Sh#t rolls down hill in hospitals and nurses and junior doctors get royally f#cked over.
    The huge shortcomings in the health service mean that staff are pretty much forced to sacrifice their own health, safety, friendships, relationships and lives to ensure patient safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Guffy

My ex was a care assistant for a while. She was paid more than the nurses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I think they deserve it. From a quick skim of the inmo payscale it seems to take about 8 years to get to 40 grand from grad.

(Great cash in Cavan/Mayo general, but rubbish trying to live in in Dublin central)

If you want to keep keen bright staff in the job ya gotta pay them. And I'd reckon nurses have got lots of options for other jobs to go to.

However.... The other unions teachers etc etc will be watching to make claims if the nurses win, so the government will fight it, at least for a while.

*Did somebody mention that they do 13 hour shifts and 7 nights in a row too? Isn't that illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Guffy

professore wrote: »
    Why am I paying 3.5k in fees for my daughter then?

Your paying admin fees and student levees, same as nurses

That's part of their education.

Do other pub sector jobs have unpaid placement throughout their degrees. Afaik teachers dont go on placement for the first 3 years of theirs.

That's not bad at all for a starting salary. Cue the comparisons with top end 1% Google programmers.

Teacher starts at 36k gardai at 29k

The laundry room position will still be stuck down at that level several years hence.

Nurses max out around 44k after 12 years with no further promotion/education. A teacher retires at 68k which is insane when you look at the holidays they get along with that ( https://www.education.ie/en/Education-Staff/Information/Payroll-Financial-Information/Salary-Scales/Salary-Scales.html )

I think they deserve it. From a quick skim of the inmo payscale it seems to take about 8 years to get to 40 grand from grad.

(Great cash in Cavan/Mayo general, but rubbish trying to live in in Dublin central)

If you want to keep keen bright staff in the job ya gotta pay them. And I'd reckon nurses have got lots of options for other jobs to go to.

However.... The other unions teachers etc etc will be watching to make claims if the nurses win, so the government will fight it, at least for a while.

*Did somebody mention that they do 13 hour shifts and 7 nights in a row too? Isn't that illegal?

I know this isn’t directed at me.
    Nurses hours are based on quarters.
    Every quarter you can’t work more than 48hours per week average.
    Eg Jan - March, working 3 weeks of nights average and the rest days. Once the total amount of hours doesn’t add up to more than 48 hours averaged over the 3 months then it is legal.

Hospitals seem to be changing the way they roster though. A lot of hospitals will have their nights over 2 weeks. 4 nights week 1 and then 3 week 2 with 7 off in between. The negative side to that is that you could finish nights Monday morning and be back on day shifts on Tuesday.

Which is lovely n all but being tired like that has the same effect as being under the influence of alcohol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Nurses in this country are far to quick to complain. They have a good wage as well as plenty of public sector benefits as well as a cushy retirement plan in line with other public sector professions.

If they are not happy with their calling in life, then there are others to fill the roll. And a nurses first priority should be in helping the sick, not holding the country to randsome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Which is lovely n all but being tired like that has the same effect as being under the influence of alcohol

Plenty of other jobs that do similar hours in roles that you wouldn't be too happy to find out were performed under such conditions.

The HSE needs to be split into 2 seperate companies or departments. One for frontline staff who are essential and fundamental to the function of healthcare.

Another for admin/office/middle managers.

Then see where the money is going and make appropriate corrections.

kona wrote: »

Plenty of other jobs that do similar hours in roles that you wouldn't be too happy to find out were performed under such conditions.......

Which other jobs ? Name a few

It still doesn't change the fact, if you say.... get hit by a car in the middle of the day

A few of those that may be around you with your life in their hands may as well be under the influence of alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Which other jobs ? Name a few

Firemen
    Gardai
    Paramedics
    People who certify and carry out maintenance on machines that carry hundreds sometimes thousands of people.

Although i do think saying people are going to die if nurses go on strike is quite unbalanced really. Id say its very unlikely.

kona wrote: »

People who certify and carry out maintenance on machines that carry hundreds sometimes thousands of people.

What are these mysterious machines ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

What are these mysterious machines ?

I'm guessing he's talking about trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Do they really do a good job?
    They do a lot less than they used to.
    They have aids and porters now.
    Unfortunately I've spent a lot of time in hospitals lately and all I see any of them do is take blood pressure/temp and dole out prescriptions. They don't make any decisions. They don't help feed or clean.
    I haven't seen them in intensive care units, but I have experienced A&Es, HDUs and general hospital wards in Dublin and provincial locations.
    Very few of them seem to have a genuine caring nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

mad muffin wrote: »
    How much do you put on your life? Your family’s? Loved ones? You want the best healthcare and you want it now, but you don’t think you should pay too much for it?

How much is too much? €30K? €60K? €100K? How much did the politicians pay rise pay themselves recently because they think they are doing such a good job?

Was the pay restoration not promised to the nurses? Did they get it? Did the politicians get theirs?

How much of the current crisis in the health care is the governments fault? How much of it is down to the austerity measures implemented 10 years ago? The pay freeze. The levies and charged? The recruitment ban? All the money spent on agency nurses?

Do you want nurses to work 50? 60? Hours per week? Do you want to be treated by someone who’s worked that many hours in a high pressure situation when your life depends on it?

Do you even know what’s it like being in nurse in a hospital in Ireland?

If they do get their pay rise, they deserve every single cent of it.

It’s a pity they have to go on strike for it. What was promised to them. And frankly what they deserve.

The best healtcare? We are so far from best health are. Have you been in hospital lately?

The best healtcare? We are so far from best health are. Have you been in hospital lately?

Lately ?

Jul 29, 2006

A nurse who exhibited "disgraceful" conduct while on duty as the sole nurse responsible for 40 patients at a nursing home must have her name erased from the nursing register, the High Court directed yesterday.

It was "fortunate indeed" that none of the residents of Stella Maris Nursing Home at Commer, Tuam, Co Galway had suffered any adverse consequences from Nurse Cliona Finnegan's behaviour and lack of proper nursing care, Mr Justice Brian McGovern said.

Her condition on the night in question "could be described as disgraceful" and her conduct fell seriously short of the standards to be expected among a member of the nursing profession. She had offered no proper explanation for her behaviour and he found her guilty of professional misconduct.

Mr Justice McGovern was dismissing an appeal by Ms Finnegan, Kileen, Oakpark, Tralee, Co Kerry, who had been employed as a part-time nurse at Stella Maris, against a finding of professional misconduct made against her last February by the Fitness to Practise Committee of An Bord Altranais (Nursing Board).

It was alleged Ms Finnegan had remained on duty on a night in August 2002 when she was not in a fit condition, thereby putting patients at risk. The committee upheld claims she caused drugs at the home to be in such disarray as to render it difficult or impossible to determine whether or to what extent they had been administered to patients.

The committee also upheld allegations that she had rested or slept part of the time while she was on duty, appeared intoxicated, had a brown stain around her mouth, spoke in an incoherent manner and failed to provide any or any proper nursing care to patients.

It rejected her claims that was suffering from a physical or mental disability rendering her unfit to engage in nursing, but recommended her name be struck from the nursing register.

Mr Justice McGovern was told there would be two carers and a nurse on duty at night caring for 40 patients. One carer said there were delays in Ms Finnegan administering tablets. One patient had complained there was half a tablet missing but Ms Finnegan said the patient got all her tablets.

A carer said that later that night, she went to answer a bell and found Ms Finnegan lying on the floor of a bedroom occupied by a married couple who were patients at the home. She was crying a lot.

The judge said Ms Finnegan was found at the office station on the floor. She was put on a chair and was upset. There was a tray of medication scattered on the floor. A carer had described her voice as slurred and she was told she should get some sleep. There was a strong smell from her breath, which smell the carer couldn't identify, and a brown stain around her lips.

The judge noted a nurse who had replaced Ms Finnegan as the nurse on duty noticed all the drugs mixed up in what she described as a dangerous fashion on top of the medicine trolley and a brown liquid on the floor of the medicine room. That nurse was so concerned she had phoned the proprietor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

hawkelady wrote: »
    As the title suggests ... do you think the government will give what the inmo is asking for ? The way pascal and Harris is talking it looks like it’s going to be a long drawn out process. Who will buckle first. Btw, I do hope the nurses get what they want and they do a great job.

Of course they will. This is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well then there should be a weighting for working in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Gunnar Some Stitch

I think they deserve it but I don't think we can afford it. The other public service sectors would walk out until they got a commensurate increase. It'd be chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,684 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Should they not try and focus on work practices and reform no?

We don't hear much about this sorta thing

TZzTOtA.png

• Advertisement

need a pay rise for a new computer ?

NAeobxu.png

Advertisement