Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vanishing Modern Dublin: Are Any late 20th century buildings worth keeping?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Another where the façade is kept. I like it to be honest. Take a look across the street, place with the balconies, that would have been the alternative.

https://goo.gl/maps/oKB8YgP85Q52

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I really like that rooftop extension, it reminds me of the funky rooftops you see on top of old baroque buildings in vienna

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I think walking down the Liffey and either side of the IFSC look beautiful lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Knock everything and throw up lots of boxy glass office and residential buildings. The tech megacorps and hipsters only have use for the latest of ugly modern buildings. All hail the hipster revolution.

Fellas with beards sitting on beanbags in quirky open plan areas 'being productive' on their smartphones everywhere.

Do you consider I M Pei, César Pelli and Norman Foster to be hipsters?

We can't keep building out as endless sprawl would eventually lead to more problems than they solve so building up is the practical solution.

No doubt they are many ugly glass towers but there is also some stunning modern high-rise architecture especially in places like China.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Here's another 1970s era modernist building in Dublin, hardly ever discussed, as it's not all that obtrusive. Agriculture House on Kildare St, just behind The Shelbourne (completed in 1974). Worth keeping?

bd-agriculture-7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In case anyone is wondering what they doing with the Central Bank building...

Explore_HomePage_700x468.jpg

central-plaza_rendering_interior_rooftop-hospitality-and-viewing-area_hres.jpg

0010143b-614.jpg?ratio=1.78

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I quite like Stephen's Green SC. it's like a nice big Victorianesque greenhouse.

Advertisement