Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Shinners mocking Casey for being a populist.....have yiz no self awareness lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Make Eire Great Again. its gonna be MEGA lads. im ordering 100,000 green caps right now.

thanks to my man suicide circus...MAKE EIRE GRAND AGAIN! now before i submit the order, are we all happy with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I can see one poster going into overdrive on this thread just as he did with the other Casey thread. Tedious and boring.

emo72 wrote: »
    Make Eire Great Again. its gonna be MEGA lads. im ordering 100,000 green caps right now.
    change "Great" to "Grand"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

change "Great" to "Grand"

dude. i will...keep brainstorming with me. we're on a roll now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

England get out of Ireland? :pac:;)

Don't think that banner was referring to immigration. More 'invasion' I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jmreire

The way things are in this Country, voters don't see much difference between the parties, and feel that no matter who they vote for ( I am speaking here about Irish General Election's, but the same will apply to the EU elections I think.. ) you will still wind up with maybe different mix, but basically same same. So a lot of voters will not give a damn, and these are the ones who will even bother voting. So People will just say " Casey???? why not? Can't be any worse than what we already have. Considering all the negative comment's about him, be interesting to see what odd's the bookie's will give him this time. But I would not be writing him off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Spleerbun wrote: »
    God forbid somebody say something that the "masses" might agree with.

Is the alternative to go against what a majority may think in order to stay "pc"?

If majority agreed he'd be president.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Apparently so but he thinks all countries should have their own currencies again.

He has a point about the immigration system in its current form though.

If he knocks on your door, Necro, what would you ask him?

I honestly don't know tbh.

I'd have to find out what MEPs actually do other than turn up for work first :pac:

pjohnson wrote: »
    If majority agreed he'd be president.
    he came second to an incumbant with a long exemplary record and mass meme appeal because of his Tolkienesque stature. He was never going to win but he did well because he voiced concerns held by a lot of people in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,478 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

jmreire wrote: »
    The way things are in this Country, voters don't see much difference between the parties, and feel that no matter who they vote for ( I am speaking here about Irish General Election's, but the same will apply to the EU elections I think.. ) you will still wind up with maybe different mix, but basically same same. So a lot of voters will not give a damn, and these are the ones who will even bother voting. So People will just say " Casey???? why not? Can't be any worse than what we already have. Considering all the negative comment's about him, be interesting to see what odd's the bookie's will give him this time. But I would not be writing him off anyway.

He is only standing as an independent because Fianna Fail rejected his application to join the party. He probably will not mention this in his campaign

He is only standing as an independent because Fianna Fail rejected his application to join the party. He probably will not mention this in his campaign

Yeh, what happened that takeover...shouldn't he be FF leader now?
    Politicians and promises eh? :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Just so I have it clear:

He's not running on an Irexit ticket.

But he does want Ireland to leave the single currency.

He dislikes (rightly) that travellers have ethnic status.

Something something immigration.

He's a successful business man.

he came second to an incumbant with a long exemplary record and mass meme appeal because of his Tolkienesque stature. He was never going to win but he did well because he voiced concerns held by a lot of people in this country.

The bitterness is strong there, I'll give you that. Not only do you demean the president but those who voted for him too. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He's pretty shameless, he'll have lots to say in the media that'll keep his profile high. What might catch him is the fact he only had a short while before the Presidential election to enjoy a raised profile. If he keeps talking for an extended period of time before these elections eventually people will cotton on to the fact that he's fairly clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Necro wrote: »
    Genuinely curious as to what he has done during his time as an MEP. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

He took his first year off. Apparently his wife wasn't feeling well so Ming decided to stay off work to mind her.

He did manage to turn up for water protest photo ops. Nice job if you can get it at €140k a year.

It'd be nice if we could get some candidates for our few MEP positions who actually know about and care about the EU and want to get involved in proposing and debating EU legislation.

The bitterness is strong there, I'll give you that. Not only do you demean the president but those who voted for him too. Well done

ah dont worry Francie, Casey wont be able to steal the populist mantle from SF, he's no threat, relax

ah dont worry Francie, Casey wont be able to steal the populist mantle from SF, he's no threat, relax

My chosen candidate won handsomely last time Peter tried the lowest common denominator policy option, it will be interesting to see what windmills he attacks this time.

Necro wrote: »
    I honestly don't know tbh.

I'd have to find out what MEPs actually do other than turn up for work first :pac:

Taken from European Parliament page....
    What do MEPs do?

Your MEPs are your elected representatives in the EU and they represent your interests and those of your city or region in Europe. They listen to people with local and national concerns, interest groups and businesses. They can question and lobby the Commission and the Council of Ministers.

Above all, MEPs pass laws that affect many aspects of our lives, for example:

how many hours employees throughout the EU can be required to work and how much rest and holiday they must be given;
    which pesticides are safe to use on the food grown in the EU;
    how much you pay for mobile phone calls when you go to another EU country;
    how to use and label Genetically Modified Organisms;
    making children's toys safe;
    the safety of thousands of chemicals used in everyday manufactured goods such as TVs and sofas;
    cleaning up the air we breathe and the water we drink and swim in;
    getting health care in another EU country either on holiday or when the queue is too long in your own country;
    making it easier to study at university in another EU country.

I dunno whether to laugh or cry. I think I might try for the role. €140k a year plus expenses???

I dunno whether to laugh or cry. I think I might try for the role. €140k a year plus expenses???

You've got my vote anyways! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

What are the main things Ming has achieved as an MEP?

His voting rate of just 16 percent in European Parliament plenary sessions is abysmal. The average across MEPs is about 75 percent.
    He was tweeting recently that he has attended 94 out of 95 meetings of a particular committee which he is involved with over there.

MIngs wife was quite ill for a period and he was absent, I think that is reasonable. Outside of that period his attendance is decent.

Ming is highly thought of , I'd doubt Casey will take his seat , maybe get Casey will get votes off the FF/FG faithful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Phoebas wrote: »
    He took his first year off. Apparently his wife wasn't feeling well so Ming decided to stay off work to mind her.

He did manage to turn up for water protest photo ops. Nice job if you can get it at €140k a year.

It'd be nice if we could get some candidates for our few MEP positions who actually know about and care about the EU and want to get involved in proposing and debating EU legislation.

Meps can't propose legislation, they can only deal with the things the commission puts forward.

Phoebas wrote: »

Flanagan has a good reputation in the Eu, he seems to be a hard worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Ming, like him or loathe him, is a professional politician. Casey is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Danzy wrote: »
    A good reputation as a bull ****ter

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is he running on an Irexit ticket?

The Irexit party are supporting him

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Meps can't propose legislation, they can only deal with the things the commission puts forward.

True - they can amend legislation 'though.

Hopefully this time around we'll elect some people who want to do the job and not just have a local popularity contest again.

He skived off for a full year.

Edgware wrote: »
    A good reputation as a bull ****ter

No, not according to people in the EU.

What ever you think of his political views, he dies seem to take it seriously.

Most of the independent or smaller parties, across Europe tend to, may be they have to as party block voting will carry others across.

We've had commissioners in the last 20 years who often were at meetings pissed out of their mind and not the only there's to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Phoebas wrote:
    He skived off for a full year.

He looked after his sick wife, thought this was covered several times here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement