Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,833 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

considering the video and the picture both show the mound of ash around the cross at the back and the embers on the roof, Id say they are real. There is a stone roof below the wooden roof I believe, with the spire breaking through the stone one in that section at the back I am assuming.

Didn't know it was a stone roof. Great news, in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Sad to watch it on the news but the French value their cultural heritage and will do whatever is necessary to rebuild the damaged sections as faithfully as possible to the original. Initially the work will be seen as a copy but in a couple of hundred years it'll be seen in the same way as other parts of the cathedral that have been rebuild or changed down the centuries. We're dealing with long timescales here.

I'd say when they rebuild it they'll have a team of workers on fire extinguisher duty especially beside anyone with a blowtorch or an angle grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

gozunda wrote: »
    Sainte Sulpice - the second largest church in Paris (made famous by Dan Brown) went on fire just last month.

https://www.rt.com/news/456629-french-catholic-churches-attacks/

There has been a lot of attacks recently.

Correlation is not causation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Sainte Sulpice - the second largest church in Paris (made famous by Dan Brown in his book the Davinci Code) went on fire just last month.

https://www.rt.com/news/456629-french-catholic-churches-attacks/

What's you point please caller?

also, eew..RT?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Yeah saw somebody say it on twitter, here:
    https://twitter.com/whalee_blue/status/1117916021325623297

Also another picture of the stone roof inside,
    https://twitter.com/7billionpeoples/status/1117924266081648641

Looks like 2 sections of it was damaged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Not a stone roof. A stone barrel vault common in church architecture of that date underneath the wooden and lead roof above.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Danzy wrote: »

I wasn’t aware of the St Sulpice fire, Jesus, hell of a coincidence, basically 5 mins away too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Looks like they got off lucky.
    What's the French for shade? Even posted in english for Trumpy

https://twitter.com/SecCivileFrance/status/1117874924268376064

The French don't seem to have any suitable helicopters, looking at the list of Securite Civile inventory. They have fixed wing bombers which are certainly inappropriate.

There is a medium in between the SC's Ecureils and EC-145s which have basically no firefighting ability at all, and their fixed-wing water-bomber fleet, examples include Los Angeles' vetical drop Firehawks or Tokyo Fire Dept's cannon-equipped EC-225s. SC doesn't have that medium.

So, yes, the SC are correct to not be using their water bomber fleet. But as a major city with a number of buildings which ladder trucks can't get to, are they correct not to be having the middle ground, or is it just a budget thing? The reason FDNY had their firefighter helicopter request denied was simple dollars, not because it was a bad idea.

also, eew..RT?

None. Theres many sources for news on the Sainte Suplice fire. I took the first one on Google. It happened. Btw RT clearly calls this out plus current fire was likley accidental.

You got a problem with news? Why?

also, eew..RT?

So you are pretending there was no fire there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

I've seen a lot of smart alec posts here tonight from people who've never been to notre dame. I was lucky enough to visit there in 2007. It was a majestic building. I remember vividly the hushed and spiritual atmosphere. I also remember the beautiful timber work near the main altar where the choir would have sat. It was carved with the stations of the cross and beautifully painted and gilded. I also climbed the bell tower and looked down at the roof that no longer exists. The flying buttresses were peopled with statues of the apostles, each one individually carved. I'm not religious but I was awed by the skill of the people who created these works. This is a tragedy and anyone who says otherwise has no appreciation of the beauty that exists in history. I'm so glad I saw it and so very sad at its fate.

Did anyone say it was????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

It’s too much of a coincidence for Notre Dame to go up in flames during ‘renovations’ and at this particular time

Did anyone say it was????

Me, you quoted it.

tinyk68 wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of smart alec posts here tonight from people who've never been to notre dame. I was lucky enough to visit there in 2007. It was a majestic building. I remember vividly the hushed and spiritual atmosphere. I also remember the beautiful timber work near the main altar where the choir would have sat. It was carved with the stations of the cross and beautifully painted and gilded. I also climbed the bell tower and looked down at the roof that no longer exists. The flying buttresses were peopled with statues of the apostles, each one individually carved. I'm not religious but I was awed by the skill of the people who created these works. This is a tragedy and anyone who says otherwise has no appreciation of the beauty that exists in history. I'm so glad I saw it and so very sad at its fate.

I've been there and visited it several times including a first in the early 1980s when the tour included both towers and part of the roof structure. The second time I was there - this tour was not available. For the number one cathedral in Paris - I thought the interior quite underwhelming tbh. The stonework however was among some of the best I've seen imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

A small Allahu Akbar gang knocked a bit of craic out of it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Have you any source for this?

https://streamable.com/q2297

Me, you quoted it.

Lol. My dear - you are drunk. Btw in the first instance you quoted my initial post.

See:
    https://i.imgflip.com/2yoayv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Augme

Laois_Man wrote: »

That's about as real as the tooth fairy.

gctest50 wrote: »

I think that's from a videogame or a film. Obviously if you did that in real life you'd explode the building and kill everyone in a 500meter radius :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Clear fake, the voices are the very same as any 'unexpected jihad' meme from years ago. Are people really so naive??

I think that's from a videogame or a film. Obviously if you did that in real life you'd explode the building and kill everyone in a 500meter radius :rolleyes:

No afaik- water drops are indeed sometimes used to fight building fires. By the time the water hits the fire it falls as droplets not a solid weight.

See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federation_Tower#Construction

Also interesting artice here:
     We need to fill the critical gaps in our response, particularly in specific capacities such as planes.” He went on: “It is not by coincidence that President Macron has called for a European Civil Protection Force. First, we must increase our collective capacity to respond, second to simplify and streamline the procedures and third we must have stronger links between national capacities and the deployment of assets at a European level

https://www.aerosociety.com/news/aerial-firefighters/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Do you honestly believe that's the original audio?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Clear fake, the voices are the very same as any 'unexpected jihad' meme from years ago. Are people really so naive??

****ing funny though. I lol'd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

greencap wrote: »

****ing funny though. I lol'd.
    Go you!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Do you have to ask.

Overheal wrote: »
    Do you have to ask.

A combination of being stupid and wanting it to be real, I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Genuinely the first time I've ever reported a video on Youtube. That's just plain dangerous and innocent people could get hurt by those who believe it's real.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

An insight as to its disrepair.

• Advertisement

Genuinely the first time I've ever reported a video on Youtube. That's just plain dangerous and innocent people could get hurt by those who believe it's real.

Plenty of people hoping for just that, look at the number of low post accounts that set up on Boards to spout divisive BS like they need to create the conditions for some sort of reckoning.

Advertisement