Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,769 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No I'm just excercising my right not to engage in your usual tactics. Call it what you will but you're not worth an infraction.

If challenging you is a 'tactic' then don't address it I suppose. It just leaves what you did undefended. Just to show that I honestly pointed out the problem I had with what you were repeatedly doing.
    I think repeatedly referring to somebody as 'the winner of the lovely girl competition' sets out to demean her.

I found her background details in a 30 sec search on google. You must be fond of 'wondering'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

is_that_so wrote: »
    And again you're basing this on a one horse mickey mouse election in which none of the three traditional parties really campaigned. He is not a professional politician, has no experience of a real campaign yet, nor how readily he can pick up transfers. People will vote for incumbents. That means Carthy, McGuinness and Ming. If he's in for anything it's the last seat but FF will almost certainly have their eye on it.
    That theory would mean there would never be a change of representation. Facts show otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,482 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

is_that_so wrote:
    And again you're basing this on a one horse mickey mouse election in which none of the three traditional parties really campaigned. He is not a professional politician, has no experience of a real campaign yet, nor how readily he can pick up transfers. People will vote for incumbents. That means Carthy, McGuinness and Ming. If he's in for anything it's the last seat but FF will almost certainly have their eye on it.
    You'd probably have said the same thing about Ming in the last European elections. I predicted he'd top the poll. People told me I was crazy.
    I'm telling you now that Casey will top the poll.
    Also it's been a growing trend in this country to walk away from supporting a party. Independents have been on the rise for some time. There are currently three independents in Europe, that might grow this time around.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You'd probably have said the same thing about Ming in the last European elections. I predicted he'd top the poll. People told me I was crazy.
    Also it's been a growing trend in this country to walk away from supporting a party. Independents have been on the rise for some time. There are currently three independents in Europe, that might grow this time around.

Do you believe there is a (unknown previously) groundswell who wish to leave the Euro and consequently the EU or that there will be a protest vote of some sort, that will have him 'topping the poll'.

I ask because we heard this 'topping the poll' stuff in the Presidential election and he managed just 23%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Back to claiming 23 per cent from a base of nothing is a poor result. lol it's actually pathetic at this stage.

• Advertisement

Back to claiming 23 per cent from a base of nothing is a poor result. lol it's actually pathetic at this stage.

No, he captured 3% more than I predicted, but we did hear the 'topping the poll' stuff, he was short of that by more than half.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Edgware wrote: »
    That theory would mean there would never be a change of representation. Facts show otherwise.
    What facts?

eagle eye wrote: »
    I wasn't too surprised about Ming. He got a "real" EU issue and ran well with it. Independent support ebbs and flows. Current is going back against them at present. Casey is not a politician and has no actual policies. His only experience is an election where people were falling over each other to show how nice they were. He'll find it hard work in a real election and it's more likely to be Ganley all over again.

As is assuming that 23% in a one horse personality race shows likely future outcomes. It was a third of the winner, who could have won while sitting at home in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do you believe there is a (unknown previously) groundswell who wish to leave the Euro and consequently the EU or that there will be a protest vote of some sort, that will have him 'topping the poll'.

I ask because we heard this 'topping the poll' stuff in the Presidential election and he managed just 23%.

Just 23%.

I bet you the other candidates (exc MDH) wished they had got such a crap % of the votes.

Liadh Ní Riada, with the SF election machine behind her, managed a pathetic 6.4%, as did Sean Gallagher.

Casey's vote was an unbelievable total considering. You can bluff your way around it and claim it wasn't if you want, but you're fooling no-one.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Just 23%.

I bet you the other candidates (exc MDH) wished they had got such a crap % of the votes.

I didn't say anything about a 'crap' vote.

I was referring to predictions that he would romp home or top the poll.

Even a casual observer would admit that 23% is a long way short of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

is_that_so wrote:
    As is assuming that 23% in a one horse personality race shows likely future outcomes. It was a third of the winner, who could have won while sitting at home in bed.

Not that it's terribly important but Mickey D got just under 56 percent, that's not three times Casey's vote. Also I don't think anyone thought no one other than the incumbent was going to win despite the nonsense one poster here likes to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I would consider 23% a good result considering every TV and Radio broadcaster tried to make him out to be racist.The Late Late Show was a typical example of whats wrong with this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

mgn wrote: »
    I would consider 23% a good result considering every TV and Radio broadcaster tried to make him out to be racist.The Late Late Show was a typical example of whats wrong with this country.

A good chunk or that 23% votes for him exactly because 'every TV and Radio broadcaster tried to make him out to be racist.'.

His entire support started and ended when he started to go after travellers.

A good chunk or that 23% votes for him exactly because 'every TV and Radio broadcaster tried to make him out to be racist.'.

His entire support started and ended when he started to go after travellers.

Started to go after the travellers.What is that supposed to mean.

When he started to 'tell the truth that everyone knew', I presume.

I didn't say anything about a 'crap' vote.

I was referring to predictions that he would romp home or top the poll.

Even a casual observer would admit that 23% is a long way short of that.

Who predicted he would romp the poll?

No-one I remember.

Sure MDH was the clear favourite, and was always predicted to get more than the other 5 candidates combined.

Your use of the word 'just' in the "just 23%" was meant to be demeaning to PC. When in fact you know that 23% of the vote in a 6 horse race, inc a runaway favourite, is pretty damn good.

It means that until his verbal diarrhea on the radio, he was floating around 4% support and was in the race as the second, less interesting Dragons Den celebrity.

He then stumbled across an anti-travller rant that had him suspending his presendential bid and considering withdrawing from the race entirely, until he cottoned on to the fact that there was a portion of the electorate that would vote for him because he attacked travellers.

Did he attack travellers?

I only remember him saying he didn't see them as a separate ethnic race, that they were the same as him, Irish.

He also said that it was a disgrace that they weren't accepting €1.5million worth of new houses because they weren't getting land for horses out the back. I think many agreed with this btw.

Did I miss any other attacks?

It means that until his verbal diarrhea on the radio, he was floating around 4% support and was in the race as the second, less interesting Dragons Den celebrity.

He then stumbled across an anti-travller rant that had him suspending his presendential bid and considering withdrawing from the race entirely, until he cottoned on to the fact that there was a portion of the electorate that would vote for him because he attacked travellers.

He considered withdrawing because he was threatened by the lovely people you seem to defend.

• Advertisement

I only remember him saying he didn't see them as a separate ethnic race, that they were the same as him, Irish.

He also said that it was a disgrace that they weren't accepting €1.5million worth of new houses because they weren't getting land for horses out the back. I think many agreed with this btw.

Ahhh the old 'well I agree with him so it's not wrong' angle.

You can try to tie things up in semantic knots all you like, but the fact is, the success of Casey's entire campaign was built on his anti-traveller remarks and comments. He was on 2% in the polls until then.

He considered withdrawing because he was threatened by the lovely people you seem to defend.

Now you're just making stuff up.

This is the usual selective memory people have about him and only quote some of what he said.

Here is what he said originally; 'everyone knows that travellers are basically people who camp on others land'.

Nowhere near the truth and designed to enflame.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

This is the usual selective memory people have about him and only quote some of what he said.

Here is what he said originally; 'everyone knows that travellers are basically people who camp on others land'.

Thats what they do, they litter the land as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ahhh the old 'well I agree with him so it's not wrong' angle.

You can try to tie things up in semantic knots all you like, but the fact is, the success of Casey's entire campaign was built on his anti-traveller remarks and comments. He was on 2% in the polls until then.

So we should have been kept ignorant of the fact that travellers are refusing houses because they arent getting stables with them?
    Do you find something wrong with people knowing the truth?

Edgware wrote: »
    So we should have been kept ignorant of the fact that travellers are refusing houses because they arent getting stables with them?
    Do you find something wrong with people knowing the truth?

We all know that if he had quoted the general figure for the amount of turned down social housing he would not have gotten the traction he did.

The information was always there - nobody was hiding it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

All true.
    Anyway, that was then, and this is now.

Do travellers feature in the european parliament campaign? I haven't heard any mention of them at all.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree on that point, as I think he wasn't far off the truth, but you think its at the opposite end.

I think he also said they were Irish and not a separate race on the same interview he said about them camping on other peoples land.

But I wouldn't say he went out to attack travellers per se.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree on that point, as I think he wasn't far off the truth, but you think its at the opposite end.

I think he also said they were Irish and not a separate race on the same interview he said about them camping on other peoples land.

But I wouldn't say he went out to attack travellers per se.

The vast majority of travellers live in settled accommodation. Fact, not an 'opinion'.

So he was wholly wrong to say it.

There are many many more turning down social housing for a variety of reasons. But that wasn't of concern to Casey. Travellers were.

• Advertisement

Not that it's terribly important but Mickey D got just under 56 percent, that's not three times Casey's vote. Also I don't think anyone thought no one other than the incumbent was going to win despite the nonsense one poster here likes to repeat.
    It's not really. Game was over when he declared. Nobody much cares what came after it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement