Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tiger Woods comeback story

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

He is 43 now. This may not be his last but 'many more' would surely be a stretch.

I genuinely would love to see him surpass Jack nicklaus, just to witness it and for the kids to see it would be amazing. I really think he can be the greatest golfer of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I really think he can be the greatest golfer of all time.

You can make the argument that he already is, and likely he will break Snead's PGA wins record. I think his 2000-01 was likely the peak of any Golfer.

I just think there will always be an argument for Nicklaus so long as he holds that record, and I don't like the way boisterous Woods fans dismiss him as if his accomplishments mean nothing in favor of their God.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

its amazing the moment he wins something, his hound dog ways are forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

You can make the argument that he already is, and likely he will break Snead's PGA wins record. I think his 2000-01 was likely the peak of any Golfer.

I just think there will always be an argument for Nicklaus so long as he holds that record, and I don't like the way boisterous Woods fans dismiss him as if his accomplishments mean nothing in favor of their God.

Every major tiger has played has has the top 50 in the world. In the 60’s the British open would do well to have the top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Cyber Tiger on the ps1 was great.

I suggest feather touch. You have entered "power drive".

Fun times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Jordan Speith looked for a short while there that he was going to outdo Woods. Equaled Woods' record score at from the 1997 US Masters in 2015, had won his 3rd major at 6 months younger than Woods was when he won his 3rd. But he has relatively vanished for the last 18 months or so. I see he finished joint 21st at the Masters today (same score as Rory). But he'll be back and is about 18 years younger than Woods (even though he looks about the same age)!

No its not. You can play top level Golf for 20/25 years.

Tennis players are lucky to get 10, Federer changed all that and won 20 majors obliterating Sampras record, not surpassed, smashed it. And he's not even finished yet.

I love federer too. Genuinely mentioned him tonight. But the fact is, Tiger changed the game of golf. Brought it from old fart in cardigans to the ripped lads you see today.

When I starting playing 25 years ago none of my mates played. Tiger came along and now they all play.

I’ve growing up playing both tennis & golf. Golf is so much harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Delighted for him. The bloke’s an all-time great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Comparing the skill levels in sports is a nonsense with regards to soccer, tennis, golf, boxing etc.

Everyone is subjective and chooses their own sport.

Let's just enjoy Tiger's comeback in golf without comparisons with Ali, Federer, Maradona etc. All were/are amazing practitioners of their sport. It's impossible to compare Tiger's drive on the 16th today with a top goal of Ronaldo's (Brazil or Portugal!). Apples and oranges.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Jordan Speith looked for a short while there that he was going to outdo Woods. Equaled Woods' record score at from the 1997 US Masters in 2015, had won his 3rd major at 6 months younger than Woods was when he won his 3rd. But he has relatively vanished for the last 18 months or so. I see he finished joint 21st at the Masters today (same score as Rory). But he'll be back and is about 18 years younger than Woods (even though he looks about the same age)!

& Dustin Johnson looked amazing 1 year ago. None of the lads today have tigers consistency. 9 years at no 1 was he?

They do incredible well to do 1 year now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Federer's the greatest tennis player ever, and there's lot less uncertainty that he's the GOAT of the sport. He also passed Sampras's record unlike Woods who has not as of yet to pass Nicklaus.

Pele, Maradona, Messi in football.

Ali in boxing.

Various olympians.

Tom Brady in American football.

Don Bradman/Sachin Tendulkar in Cricket

Michael Jordan in Basketball

Wayne Gretzky in Ice Hockey

Come on there are plenty who are a match for Woods.

ali wasnt the greatest boxer

dougm1970 wrote: »

Probably meant greatest heavyweight.

dougm1970 wrote: »

I've heard others say that, but like a lot this its up for debate.

Its certainly not Floyd Mayweather though.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    & Dustin Johnson looked amazing 1 year ago. None of the lads today have tigers consistency. 9 years at no 1 was he?

They do incredible well to do 1 year now.

But Woods doesn't even have the consistency of Woods.

Peak Woods was what winning 8 tournaments a year?

He'll chip away at 1 or 2 tournament wins over the next few years (maybe). But I'm not sure he'll dominate.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I don't watch golf or any other sports really. I only picked up on Tiger Woods major golf victory today from reading online. There's the picture of a middle aged man, looking very fit and physically strong. Having beaten the rest of the world at it but more importantly having picked himself up from some serious personal lows and risen from it

I say, fair play to him. It's not for the money and not for the fame. But he achieved something truly remarkable and no doubt he has worked extremely hard for it during thousands of hours of tough training. Tiger Woods should be very proud of himself right now. Fair play to him.

But Woods doesn't even have the consistency of Woods.

Peak Woods was what winning 8 tournaments a year?

He'll chip away at 1 or 2 tournament wins over the next few years (maybe). But I'm not sure he'll dominate.

He’s 43 years old. Also you can’t be consistent/win if your not even playing because of injury.

Peak woods was years ago. Yet he could still go out tonight and beat all those young lads.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Probably meant greatest heavyweight.

He wasn't the greatest heavyweight in many eyes. Even himself he said Joe Louis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Why was there such a big deal made over his adultery? Did he project a wholesome family man image before being rumbled?

Either way, it doesn't take away from his golfing abilities, nor was he preaching at others for infidelity (that I know of).

Don't consider 43 middle aged, while not young no doubt. Splitting hairs a bit but 47-63 middle aged imo.

Chris Horner won the cycling Tour of Spain at 42. Tom Brady will be 42 this year.

Why was there such a big deal made over his adultery? Did he project a wholesome family man image before being rumbled?

Either way, it doesn't take away from his golfing abilities, nor was he preaching at others for infidelity (that I know of).

Many famous politicians and sports stars philanered. Even Martin Luther King! Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Bonking Boris Becker, Ronaldo (Brazil), George Best, Lance Armstrong, Ryan Giggs, Michael Jordan, Ashley Cole, John Terry.. endless..

• Advertisement

Marengo wrote: »
    He wasn't the greatest heavyweight in many eyes. Even himself he said Joe Louis.

To be fair most sportsman rarely call themselves the greatest. Its a form of self modesty if you like. Nicklaus has said Woods, Woods has said Nicklaus, I never use that as a yardstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'm Tiger Woods.

Aha, that's why you find snow so easily then. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭dougm1970

you ever heard of harry greb ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Marengo wrote: »
    Many famous politicians and sports stars philanered. Even Martin Luther King! Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Bonking Boris Becker, Ronaldo (Brazil), George Best, Lance Armstrong, Ryan Giggs, Michael Jordan, Ashley Cole, John Terry.. endless..
    On reflection though, it is the kinda thing that sponsors are wary of. Not the serial adultery itself, but it getting into the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Apart from winning 18, Nicklaus also came second in another 19.
    Woods by comparison has been runner up 6 times.
    You could also argue that Nicklaus faced tougher competition but that's entirely a matter of opinion.

Wood's fans like those of many other teams or sports people tend to be dismissive of past acheivements that they didn't witness and laud the present as the greatest. Human nature I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Watched a good bit of it Saturday night, and most of yesterday.

What impressed me most, was his mental strength around the course. He was on a mission, his stride, and very little hints of how he was feeling, even during the time he took the outright lead, and for the few holes where he was sharing the lead and talks of a play off. It wasn't till he lifted the ball out if the 18 hole, that the facial expression changed, and even then there was a slight pause before the roar.

Wasn't cheering him on during the weekend, before credit where it was due, it was some achievement, and it would seem all misdemeanors have been forgotten. Just looking at the crowds reaction yesterday, he is stilled loved, think golf might be a little bit boring when he is retired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Why would Mayweather not be in the running there. Is you look at some of the boxers he was in the ring with that couldn't get a glove on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Sucessful elite sports people are by and large, highly motivated, self centered, ruthless individuals.
    Woods however, seemed to have carried this through to his private life. A selfish, callous, manipulative odious little man.
    Disliked by most, if not all his fellow professionals. The All-american good guy image was just that. An image. Honed to maximise a huge PR machine to rake in millions of dollars.

His comeback, considering his talent, self belief and sheer determination isn't all that surprising.
    Hopefully, his fall from grace and subsequent injury issues have humbled him and made him a better man.
    Time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

On reflection though, it is the kinda thing that sponsors are wary of. Not the serial adultery itself, but it getting into the public domain.

Woods was a good man to use the wedge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Apart from winning 18, Nicklaus also came second in another 19.
    Woods by comparison has been runner up 6 times.
    You could also argue that Nicklaus faced tougher competition but that's entirely a matter of opinion.

Wood's fans like those of many other teams or sports people tend to be dismissive of past acheivements that they didn't witness and laud the present as the greatest. Human nature I suppose.

uuuggh those discussions turn me cold... you're either going to be clouded by recency bias or the everything was better/harder/nicer/tougher etc etc in the old days syndrome...

Never mind that it's entirely esoteric and entirely without conclusion. Pointless in other words.

However just for you - here's Golf World doing their best to contextualise what Tiger Woods achieved yesterday

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/masters-2019-15-stats-that-put-tiger-woods-fifth-masters-win-into-historical-context

Advertisement