Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coral Tour Championship - ITV4 20th-26th of June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I’m still amazed by the trajectory of that fluked red by Allen.

Murphy made his 6 centuries but he also missed 4 or 5 blacks off the spot which he will regret.

Quality match.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The snooker laid by Murphy at 5-7 weee excellent. And Allen got out of them all brilliantly. Top play from both.

Anyone noticed how few "kicks" there have been in this tournament and the last one? What's the bloody story with kicks?

They're not all using the new round anti-kick chalk (unless they've started putting it in cube shape). It was all the rage in last year's world championship and now I'm not sure if anyone's using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Have only watched intermittently this week so no idea re kicks really. Murphy and Allen both use new chalk so should, in theory, be few kicks that match. Judd and Higgins, conversely, both stick with the old triangle so you might expect one or two in that match if what they say is true. Think there's some consensus new chalk has made a big difference but not everybody on board with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Was watching it. Dont think Murphy would have forfeited 4 points if he stopped the yellow crashing into the reds as the referee was just respotting the yellow but i could be wrong. If Murphy was penalised for that maybe Allen would have given him back the four points by fouling on purpose. Anyway the referee eventually stopped this conundrum from happening.

Don't think he could do that or he'd be conceding the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Rothko wrote: »
    Don't think he could do that or he'd be conceding the frame.

I was thinking he could make it look like he didn't mean to foul but give back the four points in the circumstances. Anyway it didnt happen.

• Advertisement

Dont think ive seen Judd miss as many easy pots in a long time. He's way off his best but should still win this match.

Judd playing so poor he's knocking balls off the table. He's not found any rhythm. Maguire edges ahead. 7-6.

Pity Judd didn't play like this against Ronnie in recent matches as this is like the old Judd. All over the shop.

Another outrageous fluke by Maguire who snookers Judd after missing a red. The balls were all open for Judd but fate got in the way. Judd deserved to lose as he was poor all day.

Didnt see a lot but what i did see of it trump looked a bit flat. Have to wonder whether lack of atmosphere is an issue for him.

• Advertisement

Didnt see a lot but what i did see of it trump looked a bit flat. Have to wonder whether lack of atmosphere is an issue for him.

Yea, it's hard to say really. Whats not in doubt was how poor he was today. For whatever reason? He had loads of chances but the flow wasn't there.

Lets hope the Crucible can have some snooker fans for the games showpiece tournament in the not too distant future as it would be nice to hear the crowd getting involved once again. Can't wait for the World's this year. I heard John Higgins say it could be one of the best ever. Here's hoping!

I'm guessing higgins was suggesting that if there were no spectators and prevailing conditions like this week, then players would be breezing around the table and knocking centuries in for fun. Otherwise I'm personally not sure how you could possibly have the best ever world championship under those circumstances. Can always for the best anyway.

I'm guessing higgins was suggesting that if there were no spectators and prevailing conditions like this week, then players would be breezing around the table and knocking centuries in for fun. Otherwise I'm personally not sure how you could possibly have the best ever world championship under those circumstances. Can always for the best anyway.

More so the players being so fresh and raring to go after the biggest break of their careers (pardon the pun). He said he can definately see one maximum and maybe even two!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am pleased for Stephen Maguire. Seems like a likable genuine fella. To be honest Trump annoys me always seems very entitled and cocky.When it does not go well for him he can't hack it. Hopefully Maguire can give the World Championship a good rattle is way too good not to have won it. Maybe he is not cocky enough like Trump?

Anyway when the Maguire/Trump agreed on new balls in the middle of the match. Neal Foulds told a funny story about when he played Cliff Thorburn the ref would not agree to new balls. So yer man Cliff cleaned them in the sink with pink rubber gloves on in his dress suit. The vision has stayed with Foulds. All I know is now anytime Thorburn is mentioned all I will think of is pink rubber gloves - jayus!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Trump said it was too warm to play snooker yesterday :rolleyes:

One century in his last 48 frames now. Pretty shocking stuff.

zuutroy wrote: »

He had to find some excuse. It was the same conditions for Maguire. In fairness Hendry said he has never seen Trump play as badly, and even made excuses for Trump before he made his excuses!

zuutroy wrote: »

It was too warm because he was playing 'On Fire' Stephen Maguire. Does himself no favours with silly excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

To be fair I can understand Trump here. Some people get hotter quicker and it effects them. I do. A sticky bridge hand will ruin your day.

Fnarr fnarr.

The Nal wrote: »
    To be fair I can understand Trump here. Some people get hotter quicker and it effects them. I do. A sticky bridge hand will ruin your day.

Fnarr fnarr.

Funny that Judd only seems to make excuses when he loses. So the heat made him play bad for most of the match. Maybe the temperature was ok for the 6 frames he managed to win. Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭waynescales1

The Nal wrote: »

Fnarr fnarr.

If anything the heat would have affected Maguire more, being the heavier man. Sweat was rolling off him at one point, constantly mopping his face with his towel, didn't stop him though.

• Advertisement

Didnt specify but it's possible he could be referring to playing conditions as much as anything else, table will obviously play that bit slower and heavier with greater heat/humidity and players can struggle. Maguire i think said he found it tough too, but coped better than his opponent. Thats all part of the game too.

Not sure if the regulations permit regular use of air conditioning, there probably is a case for relaxing dress code while this lasts if thats the case imo.

Didnt specify but it's possible he could be referring to playing conditions as much as anything else, table will obviously play that bit slower and heavier with greater heat/humidity and players can struggle. Maguire i think said he found it tough too, but coped better than his opponent. Thats all part of the game too.

Not sure if the regulations permit regular use of air conditioning, there probably is a case for relaxing dress code while this lasts if thats the case imo.

Anymore relaxing of Maguire's dress code and we could see him playing in a t shirt and shorts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Anymore relaxing of Maguire's dress code and we could see him playing in a t shirt and shorts :)

Imagine him swanning out in slippers & a house coat :D

Allen giving Selby a snooker lesson in the first four frames. The Jester looking a little peeved. Looks good for Allen winning his first semi final out of his last 7 attempts.

I'm enjoying listening to Joe Perry on commentary. Nice soft voice and talks at the appropriate time. Doesn't over do it like Joe Johnstone who never shuts up. Sometimes saying nothing is best as most snooker fans are knowledgable and dont need to be spoon fed the obvious.

Allen giving Selby a snooker lesson in the first four frames. The Jester looking a little peeved. Looks good for Allen winning his first semi final out of his last 7 attempts.

Allen's funny cueing style is serving him well. Selby was given a load of chances to get back into it in the last few frames of it. Could have been 5-3 if he had anything about him.

Allen's funny cueing style is serving him well. Selby was given a load of chances to get back into it in the last few frames of it. Could have been 5-3 if he had anything about him.

He certainly has an unusual cue action. Very compact. Bit jabby. Strong mentality though which serves him well. Not sure if he's overachieved or underachieved with his talent. Be nice to see him do well at the Crucible but stamina may not be his best asset.

He certainly has an unusual cue action. Very compact. Bit jabby. Strong mentality though which serves him well. Not sure if he's overachieved or underachieved with his talent. Be nice to see him do well at the Crucible but stamina may not be his best asset.

He never looks healthy at the best of times. I was just thinking how you would think if the heat was going to effect anyone between Selby/Allen you would pick Allen. Plus I was just looking at the scoring in the frames.

http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=21

Allen got a 92 - 54 - 76 - 80 break.

Maybe the heat Trump was moaning about yesterday disappeared? :D

He never looks healthy at the best of times. I was just thinking how you would think if the heat was going to effect anyone between Selby/Allen you would pick Allen. Plus I was just looking at the scoring in the frames.

http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=21

Allen got a 92 - 54 - 76 - 80 break.

Maybe the heat Trump was moaning about yesterday disappeared? :D

Ha. It did actually. They put a few electric fans on before the game and got the temperature to 22 degrees. I have no idea what the temperature was like yesterday. And yes Mark Allen is probably the unhealthiest looking of all the snooker players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ha. It did actually. They put a few electric fans on before the game and got the temperature to 22 degrees. I have no idea what the temperature was like yesterday. And yes Mark Allen is probably the unhealthiest looking of all the snooker players.

He's gone on a strict diet and lost 2 stone since the season was suspended.

As for the conditions, the tables are controlled with slate heaters do drive the moisture out and keep the cloth at a fixed temperature so the ambient temperature should have little or no effect on how the table plays.

Advertisement