Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will the World Championship Go Ahead as Normal??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

OutTheGap wrote: »
    It was funny in the documentary yesterday that Barry Hearn said Davis was afraid of Higgins physically. You could see that in a couple of interviews they showed, Davis was very uncomfortable in his seat, probably afraid Higgins was going to hit him!

At the time of the Davis v Higgins rivalry I wouldn't have had any time for Davis, he seemed like a robotic machine. I have to say now he comes across very well and seems like a decent bloke.

Davis was always my favourite until Ronnie came along. Influenced by my dad to be fair. He loved Steve and i ended up a big fan. Steve is such a loveable person. A thorough gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

OutTheGap wrote: »
    It was funny in the documentary yesterday that Barry Hearn said Davis was afraid of Higgins physically. You could see that in a couple of interviews they showed, Davis was very uncomfortable in his seat, probably afraide Higgins was going to hit him!

At the time of the Davis v Higgins rivalry I wouldn't have had any time for Davis, he seemed like a robotic machine. I have to say now he comes across very well and seems like a decent bloke.

There are aspects of his commentary i dont like, but overall he is a decent bloke alright. And one of the greats, third after hendry and Ronnie for me.

I dont remember if its in that doc, but i do recall davis once saying he actually liked playing higgins in those febrile atmospheres, felt if anything it helped him. And had a fairly vocal support himself too it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Met Higgins at Goffs when I was a kid and he was really unpleasant. Just an aura of volatility and bitterness off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Spent two separate days in the company of Alex several years apart. A nicer person you couldn’t wish to meet. There was alcohol involved on both occasions but yet not one bit of controversy. I honestly believe and trust me I’m not excusing his behaviour for one minute that it was several of his usual hangers on that caused several of his rather public outbursts.

The horrible thing is cancer didn’t kill him, he died of malnutrition. His body lay undiscovered for several days in the sheltered accommodation he was staying at in Belfast.

I attended his funeral and what struck me that day that although Hendry was there Selby and Murphy also attended. The latter two weren’t even on the pro tour when Higgins was playing, they just attended out of respect. It was a pity that Dennis Taylor or Steve Davis didn’t attend but then again I’m sure they had their reasons.

The saddest part of the day was when he was laid to rest , there was no applause , no speeches, no fanfare, that struck me as a really sad and lonely end to a man who I think got us all wanting to play the game.

Hendry chatting to Ronnie on Instagram is worth an hour of your time. Very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

So many everyday folk part of the snooker circuit. Part of it's appeal v other sports these days
    How one of the world’s best snooker referees is helping to fight coronavirus on the frontline in Belgium

Olivier Marteel, who refereed the World Championship final in 2015, says he “didn’t even have one second of doubt” about agreeing to be on the hospital frontline in his native Belgium in the fight against coronavirus.
    Marteel would have been at the Crucible to officiate in this year’s championships had the tournament not been postponed, and taking precedence now is his usual day job as a nurse at the AZ West hospital in Veurne.
    Normally a radiologist, Marteel was asked to work in his hospital’s A&E department for the virus and says he is usually the first person incoming patients see when they come in for assessment.
    Marteel checks their symptoms then decides whether they need to be tested for the disease or see a doctor, but with the volume of patients he is seeing and a lack of personal protective equipment, the 50-year-old from Ghent has had to be creative in an attempt to keep himself safe.

“I have never worked in an A&E situation like this before,” the 50-year-old from Ghent said on World Snooker’s official website. “When I was asked to take on this role, I didn’t even have one second of doubt. Ever since I was a young child I wanted to work in medicine. I trained for three years and I have been working for 28 years. So when this came up, I jumped at it, even if there are some risks.
    “It is tough, of course. Just as you do in the UK, we have problems here getting enough personal protective equipment. This weekend we started using scuba diver masks which were bought in a sports shop, because we don’t have enough of the correct masks.

“The worst thing is the heat. The body produces a lot of heat but it can’t escape from the costume. I am often wearing two pairs of gloves – one for the whole day and another pair when I am treating patients. By the end of the day my hands feel like gum.”
    Marteel has refereed on the World Snooker tour since 2006 and has also taken charge of UK Championship and Masters finals to complete his own Triple Crown.
    “I have always said that refereeing is a piece of cake compared to my main job,” he added. “I treat snooker like a job as well of course, but for me it is a holiday. And that will never feel more true than when I’m back at a tournament – before long I hope.”
    PA

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/more-sports/how-one-of-the-worlds-best-snooker-referees-is-helping-to-fight-coronavirus-on-the-frontline-in-belgium/ar-BB12UCkb?ocid=spartanntp

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Not related to this year's championship but there's a show on BBC 2 at the moment called Crucible Classics. Featuring the semi final between Robertson and Selby in 2014.

Looks like we will have a world championship this year !!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/52313778

FR01 wrote: »
    Looks like we will have a world championship this year !!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/52313778

Thanks for this post. Fantastic news :) With all the doom and gloom there is now something to really look forward to. Yes!

• Advertisement

Time to move the hotel booking so :)

zuutroy wrote: »
    Time to move the hotel booking so :)

You may get go afterall. Hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Great news that if it either doesn't go ahead or goes ahead behind closed doors that tickets will automatically transfer to 2021 championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Don't count your chickens yet...
    WST chairman Barry Hearn said the preference is to stage the event with a "full crowd as usual" inside the Crucible Theatre, which has a capacity of just under 1,000.

If that is not possible, "careful consideration" will be given to other scenarios, including a reduced crowd, playing the tournament behind closed doors, or postponing the event again.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

If it does go ahead, I can only imagine that it'll take place behind closed doors.

"Subject to government advice," are the key four words. Thats almost certainly behind closed doors at a bare minimum imo.

Yes i had seen that earlier. Could very well be behind closed doors. At this stage i would gladly take that.

Was thinking how World Snooker would allocate tickets for a reduced capacity? Say 20% crowd allowed. Thats 200 of the 1,000 capacity. How would they choose which ticket holders get in? Be nice to hear a few claps, ooghs and aaaghs and gasps on the tv. The ticket situation would need to be sorted good bit in advance. Really we'll know more towards the end of May. If things are in anyway better by then and say the Prem Lgue has the go ahead to start in June/July and European football getting going it will all be positive for the Crucible.

A ray of light today lads. Small comforts. The dream is still alive. For the apocolyptic year involved i think having a live Crucible on the tv this August would be so special in a weird type of way.

Yes i had seen that earlier. Could very well be behind closed doors. At this stage i would gladly take that.

Was thinking how World Snooker would allocate tickets for a reduced capacity? Say 20% crowd allowed. Thats 200 of the 1,000 capacity. How would they choose which ticket holders get in? Be nice to hear a few claps, ooghs and aaaghs and gasps on the tv. The ticket situation would need to be sorted good bit in advance. Really we'll know more towards the end of May. If things are in anyway better by then and say the Prem Lgue has the go ahead to start in June/July and European football getting going it will all be positive for the Crucible.

A ray of light today lads. Small comforts. The dream is still alive. For the apocolyptic year involved i think having a live Crucible on the tv this August would be so special in a weird type of way.

Yes indeed, let’s have less of the doom and gloom and keep the fingers crossed for the tournament to go ahead

Classic snooker on BBC 2 at the moment hendry vs white 1992 final

Ahh, still hurts all these years on. Epic frame that at 14-14, that blue left in the jaws by Jimmy. He was gone after that!

• Advertisement

Ahh, still hurts all these years on. Epic frame that at 14-14, that blue left in the jaws by Jimmy. He was gone after that!

That was just on! Absolutely gutting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Did anyone here have tickets for the Rokit Senior Masters in Goffs that got rescheduled until next year?

That was just on! Absolutely gutting.

Yeah...was watching. As many times as I've watched it i still expect that blue to drop every time. Sickener.

Yeah...was watching. As many times as I've watched it i still expect that blue to drop every time. Sickener.

I expected it to drop too. I wonder if the cloth was that much thicker back then, plus the nap of the cloth running against the ball. You really would expect that ball to continue into the pocket if it happened today.

But it's extraordinary to see the number of times White over-hit balls in that frame.

Moral of the story is cocaine and world championship finals don't mix.

I expected it to drop too. I wonder if the cloth was that much thicker back then, plus the nap of the cloth running against the ball. You really would expect that ball to continue into the pocket if it happened today.

But it's extraordinary to see the number of times White over-hit balls in that frame.

Yeah spot on i think. Just so used to quick tables now that it seems crazy that doesn't drop. I dont know with jimmy, never thought he lacked bottle, but whatever it was about hendry and world finals, he just couldn't get over that last hilary step.

Yeah spot on i think. Just so used to quick tables now that it seems crazy that doesn't drop. I dont know with jimmy, never thought he lacked bottle, but whatever it was about hendry and world finals, he just couldn't get over that last hilary step.

I often think there are loads of ways to be brilliant at snooker but they don't always lead to victory. He was creatively brilliant and probably had a big advantage over some players by reputation and blew them away mentally. His fast play never gave his opponents a minute to rest. I think Hendry looked completely unflappable in that match today. I wonder if that threw White.

On a separate point, did you think the play seemed very fast in that game today? Even at such a late stage in the final, they just played on. It was like two O Sullivans in modern terms. But thats just thinking on reflection so I might be misremembering.

I often think there are loads of ways to be brilliant at snooker but they don't always lead to victory. He was creatively brilliant and probably had a big advantage over some players by reputation and blew them away mentally. His fast play never gave his opponents a mi ute to rest. I think Henry looked completely unflappable in that match today. I wonder if that threw White.

On a separate point, did you think the play seemed very fast in that game today? Even at such a late stage in the final, they just played on. It was like two O Sullivans in modern terms. But thats just thinking on reflection so I might be misremembering.

I know lots of people favour ronnie but i personally hold hendry as the greatest, just for the way he dominated the big tournaments for10 years and how he changed the game in terms of mentality. Do think he intimidated guys alright, just so confident and attacking. Preyed on any visible trace of weakness.

Jimmy was just always a quick player, only Drago was quicker. Hendry was quick too. I think players were in the main quicker then, a few slower types like Griffiths and Thorburn but they werent that slow. Even ebdon was quick when he first broke through. Thatd be my recollection anyway.

Cocaine ??

I know lots of people favour ronnie but i personally hold hendry as the greatest, just for the way he dominated the big tournaments for10 years and how he changed the game in terms of mentality. Do think he intimidated guys alright, just so confident and attacking. Preyed on any visible trace of weakness.

Jimmy was just always a quick player, only Drago was quicker. Hendry was quick too. I think players were in the main quicker then, a few slower types like Griffiths and Thorburn but they werent that slow. Even ebdon was quick when he first broke through. Thatd be my recollection anyway.

I happened to see it again on red button and I'm happy to say it’s definitely a lot faster than the average modern player. He's not just playing boring snooker. It's interesting shots with great control. But it's really fast play. No comparison to a modern player

• Advertisement

I happened to see it again on red button and I'm happy to say it’s definitely a lot faster than the average modern player. He's not just playing boring snooker. It's interesting shots with great control. But it's really fast play. No comparison to a modern player

Jimmy was a special player, one of the all time greats imo despite the lack of world titles. I never saw a player with such awesome cue power, on those old heavy cloths the action he could generate was phenomenal. If anything, you could argue maybe he could have taken an extra second or two over his shots, but that's just way he was. Incidentally, ronnie used often complain about hendry being slow. I never found hendry particularly slow myself.

Advertisement