Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Killakee House up for rent

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bustercherry86

I used to work here as a door boy and clean the place when I was about 11 or 12, I was first in the place on my own cleaning everywhere and never saw anything unusual.
    Considering my age at the time I would have been easily spooked! :cool:

I used to stand beside that painting all night every weekend. :rolleyes:

I remember asking if anybody had ever seen anything weird and was told that "bill" or "Bob" that used to work there saw or heard things up on the third floor where the kegs and larger used to be. I had to go up there a lot on my own to prepare drinks. (I think they were just trying to scare me though :eek:)

I used to get a free meal before I started work and it is was always A+++
    it was my first job and I real enjoyed working there.

I personally don't think there is anything supernatural there and think it would be a great place to live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

It used to be a Mitchelin star restaurant, it's an awful pity that for whatever reason, it ceased trading a good few years ago.

I went for my first meal with my first girlfriend at the time in the restaurant back around 1995, hard to believe it's around 16 years ago, I can remember seeing the painting of the black cat above the fireplace in the reception/hall area, the restaurant was upstairs and it had a lovely character to it, all candle lit and old style.

here's an old review I found on the web for the restaurant, compiled by Paolo Tullio himself of RTE "The Restaurant" fame...

http://www.foodandwine.net/reviews/069.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Apologies for digging up such an old thread, however Kilakee house has re-opened as a coffee shop.

I can highly recommend the home made hot scones and berry compote, and the coffee is slow brewed and very good.

The original painting of the infamous black cat is also pride of place in the café. I was delighted to see it again I must admit.

If you're up that way you should definitely drop in.

If you have a dog, provided they are well behaved, they can come inside and sit in the café too.
    My fella thoroughly enjoyed his visit today, he likes to chase cats, but not sure he'd take on this particular one.

Advertisement