Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

No, that'd be something like Keera
    This is Kirra

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Pikey wrote: »
    My Uncle in Laws father was called Eanus.

Twas funny at the funeral with me cousins.

Like yer man from that ‘Dukes of Hazard’? Although, I think he was “Enos”.

That can’t have been easy.

Also, do people say “uncle in law”? I’ve never heard that before.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

In Greco-Roman mythology, Aeneas (/ɪˈniːəs/;[1] Greek: Αἰνείας, Aineías, possibly derived from Greek αἰνή meaning "praised") was a Trojan hero, the son of the prince Anchises and the goddess Aphrodite (Venus).
    (Wikipedia)

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,694 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Pikey wrote: »
    My Uncle in Laws father was called Eanus.

Twas funny at the funeral with me cousins.

I bet... “ as we lay Eanus “

What the fûck goes through some people’s minds..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I just found out that Anna Ryder Richardson was married to a man name Colin MacDougall and had three children.
    Bean Ryder Richardson MacDougall was born prematurely and died less than an hour after being born.

They have two other children named.....
    Dixie Dot Ryder Richardson MacDougall
    and
    Bibi Belle Ryder Richardson MacDougall

eek7.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Kaydance.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

How about Amber Rose and her new child Slash Electric

Like yer man from that ‘Dukes of Hazard’? Although, I think he was “Enos”.

That can’t have been easy.

Also, do people say “uncle in law”? I’ve never heard that before.
    Ah they do yeah. You'd probably more often hear "aunt/uncle by marriage" Probably only used to avoid confusion.

"My Uncle-in-law's niece is an absolute ride" at least opens the possibility that you're not sexually attracted to your sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ah they do yeah. You'd probably more often hear "aunt/uncle by marriage" Probably only used to avoid confusion.

"My Uncle-in-law's niece is an absolute ride" at least opens the possibility that you're not sexually attracted to your sister.

I’m only “thanking” the first part of that post, ATNM.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Kaydance.

Spelled like that?! Cadence is bad enough, but that is just brutal.

• Advertisement

I heard an absolute clanger yesterday but if I say it the person whose child it is might read it. Then they will know its me and that I'm slagging off their child's name. I am 100 per cent sure nobody else has that name.

Which got me thinking, what are the rules around naming children? Can some names be prohibited in law? Ideally most of the names in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Pegasus Ezekiel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CBaw6LdgIg

That vid was shot in my neighbourhood in Sydney.
    My mate knows the woman whose kid is Pegasus Ezekiel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I heard an absolute clanger yesterday but if I say it the person whose child it is might read it. Then they will know its me and that I'm slagging off their child's name. I am 100 per cent sure nobody else has that name.

Which got me thinking, what are the rules around naming children? Can some names be prohibited in law? Ideally most of the names in this thread.
    I think Australia and New Zealand have banned a few. Someone should've stepped in and stopped that muppet in the states from calling her child Abcde :rolleyes:

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Kaydance.

Spelled like that?! Cadence is bad enough, but that is just brutal.
    Well I did read about said child in one of those cheapo British true life magazines :)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

There should be an official body set up tasked with approving or rejecting novel or unusual names.
    There would be a website on which expecting parents could check whether a name (or non-standard spelling of a name) has been pre-approved or not.
    If not, they'd have two options: select another name, or submit their desired name (or spelling) for consideration along with their argument as to why it should be approved.
    If the name is rejected, that's it. And anyone in future checking it would find that it had already been rejected.
    If accepted, it would be added to the list of pre-approved names.

There should be an official body set up tasked with approving or rejecting novel or unusual names.
    There would be a website on which expecting parents could check whether a name (or non-standard spelling of a name) has been pre-approved or not.
    If not, they'd have two options: select another name, or submit their desired name (or spelling) for consideration along with their argument as to why it should be approved.
    If the name is rejected, that's it. And anyone in future checking it would find that it had already been rejected.
    This is the one that annoys me the most. People give their child a regular name but want to add a unique twist by changing the spelling. Jackson has become Jaxon or Jaxxon. I've seen Lisa as Liisa. Amy is Amiee. Rebecca is Rebekah.

Maybe the "unique" generation won't see it as a problem because they will grow up with many variations of their spelling and just see it as normal to ask how the name is spelled but I see it as unnecessary. Back in my day :P there were some names with variations such as Claire/Clare, Sarah/Sara but it wasn't as deliberate as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

As far as I know "Rebekah" is the biblical Hebrew name for Rebecca.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    This is the one that annoys me the most. People give their child a regular name but want to add a unique twist by changing the spelling. Jackson has become Jaxon or Jaxxon. I've seen Lisa as Liisa. Amy is Amiee. Rebecca is Rebekah.

Maybe the "unique" generation won't see it as a problem because they will grow up with many variations of their spelling and just see it as normal to ask how the name is spelled but I see it as unnecessary. Back in my day :P there were some names with variations such as Claire/Clare, Sarah/Sara but it wasn't as deliberate as it is now.
    Met a child once 'Mariee'.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Lesalare wrote: »
    As far as I know "Rebekah" is the biblical Hebrew name for Rebecca.
    Well, the Hebrew name is רִבְקָה :)
    Both 'Rebecca' and 'Rebekah' are long-established English language versions of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I heard some idiot on an american podcast say i named my son cool,
    after a child in the movie parenthood .
    I,m sure there,s no way they other kid,s in school will not be rude to someone who has such a weird name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Sherise (pronounced as in the shade of colour pink)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Met a child once 'Mariee'.

I used to work with someone called Mariae. Pronounced Marie :confused: She said her granny told her mam that's how it should be spelled....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Nequitta (cute spin on Nikita, apparently)
    Ivie'Jo
    Irisrae-Nova'June
    Rosebud'May
    Emma-Leigh (cute spin on Emily)
    Roreigh'Jai
    Haydee-Florence

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Yeah I know this lad who changed his name from Patrick to Patric ....

Such pretentious tosh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I think Australia and New Zealand have banned a few. Someone should've stepped in and stopped that muppet in the states from calling her child Abcde :rolleyes:

I remember that yeah, what an attention seeking tosser.

The poor kid when she grows up having to deal with that ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

A boy named Sue.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭oleard1987

The gospel truth on this ,We had a supervisor when i worked in the US and her name was Crystal Ball
    I actually nearly died of laughter when i heard it

I remember that yeah, what an attention seeking tosser.

The poor kid when she grows up having to deal with that ****e.
    She already became an international laughing stock when her mother went viral complaining about the airline employees laughing at the name. The poor kid. How did the mother not see she was setting her daughter up for a life of ridicule?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Emberly-Rae

Hate to say it, but I saw it on the back of someone's t-shirt "In memory of Emberly-Rae" during the half marathon I ran at the weekend...

• Advertisement

Just seen on fb.

Aubrey

Proud mommy of 5
    Gerawrd
    Kenadi
    Paislynn
    Crystofer
    Brinleigh

Advertisement