Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fewer L plates on view?

• 12-01-2019 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭

Passing by our local secondary school recently in a rural area, I was struck by the lack of L plates on display in the cars parked outside.

The number of cars parked by students is the same as previous years, when you'd see a 50/50 mix of N plates and L plates.

Now it's just c 50/50 N plates and the others have nothing up. Maybe these drivers have all qualified and have 2 years driving under them (unlikely at this age). Or maybe they are learner drivers now flying under the radar?

A possible conclusion is that Ross's new law may be making the roads more dangerous if we are less likely to be able to identify L drivers now.

Given the consequences for an unaccompanied learner and their parents or car owner now, it's pretty understandable for L drivers to take their plates down and make themselves less identifiable.

What does anyone else notice in rural Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

BarryD2 wrote: »
    What does anyone else notice in rural Ireland?

The smell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

L plates are a magnet to cops, even more so now that the Clancy amendment is law it means automatic seizure if the vehicle of a learner is caught driving alone, with the L plates up it is advertising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

If they have removed their L plates and get caught, the sanction should be doubled.

I still see a good few on the motorway, but it's impossible to tell if it's the L driver or another fully licenced family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭driver02

Any one think the RTÉ ad on L Drivers is a bit harsh

driver02 wrote: »

The RSA ad featuring Noel Clancy? I honestly don't know what to make of it.

• Advertisement

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    If they have removed their L plates and get caught, the sanction should be doubled.

I still see a good few on the motorway, but it's impossible to tell if it's the L driver or another fully licenced family member.

The road traffic laws here are too soft, we are the laughing stock of Europe on many area's including road traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭driver02

Very though on the other young driver involved in that tragic accident I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Drive like a tool expect a problem, leave phones down and concentrate on the job at hand which is to not drive like a tool.

Better training, taught in school and learn in all conditions such as day, night, rain and motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Three things.
    • People should be prohibited from displaying L plates unless they are learners, this just complicates enforcement.
    • Insurance companies should be required to identify all vehicles insured for L drivers.
    • The Gardai should make a bit of an effort around colleges and the like where these people are known to hang out and publicly owned schools and colleges should prohibit the use of their carparks etc by unaccompanied drivers.

There is a dysfunctional culture here and it needs to be rooted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's very few young people learning to drive, back when I learned around 20 years ago it would have been the majority of young people, now it's the minority with rising insurance costs.

• Advertisement

Three things.
    • People should be prohibited from displaying L plates unless they are learners, this just complicates enforcement.
    • Insurance companies should be required to identify all vehicles insured for L drivers.
    • The Gardai should make a bit of an effort around colleges and the like where these people are known to hang out and publicly owned schools and colleges should prohibit the use of their carparks etc by unaccompanied drivers.

There is a dysfunctional culture here and it needs to be rooted out.

What about the vehicles that display BOTH L & N plates at the same time, this should be illegal also.

I never put up L plates when I was on a provisional purely to stay under the radar. It’s very rarely you get asked for your license at a checkpoint normally once you have your discs in order you are just waved through but L plates re going to get you questioned without doubt.
    What about the vehicles with display BOTH L & N plates at the same time, this should be illegal also.

No it shouldn’t, idiotic rule is what it would be. Cars have multiple drivers, some full, some N and some L or a mix. In my opinion it’s not feasible to keep putting up and taking down plates for different drivers. It’s also pointless, so what if a full driver has L or N plates up etc.

I never put up L plates when I was on a provisional purely to stay under the radar. It’s very rarely you get asked for your license at a checkpoint normally once you have your discs in order you are just waved through but L plates re going to get you questioned without doubt.

Had my L tabard on when riding the bike until recently, came across one checkpoint and i wasn't stopped, let alone checked for tax or insurance, now i know once documents are in order they can't seize a bike, but to not even check it when an L is clearing on display baffled me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

driver02 wrote:

No, it's hard hitting and that's the point.

No it shouldn’t, idiotic rule is what it would be. Cars have multiple drivers, some full, some N and some L or a mix. In my opinion it’s not feasible to keep putting up and taking down plates for different drivers. It’s also pointless, so what if a full driver has L or N plates up etc.

The 2 plates are often left permanently attached to the windscreen and are not magnetic, thus taking up valuable visibility. Gardai at a checkpoint could end up stopping the vehicle if the driver is alone thinking it is a learner, taking up unnecessary time. You're in favour of the 2 plates at once, i've gathered, i'll park that point then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I dunno but if I see a car with L plates, I'm inclined to give that bit more room and allowance. If Ross's law encourages more learner drivers to take the plates down, you'd think that's a bad thing. The old law of unintended consequences, though perhaps quite predictable in this instance.

On other hand, when daughter was learning we had L plates on a car, which I also drove. Mad to see how people would be in a hurry to get past you, even though you'd be tipping along at a good safe speed. So looked at that way, maybe they are a hazard as much as a benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

There's very few young people learning to drive, back when I learned around 20 years ago it would have been the majority of young people, now it's the minority with rising insurance costs.

Maybe in urban areas and towns but wheels seem to be pretty desirable out in the sticks.

The 2 plates are often left permanently attached to the windscreen and are not magnetic, thus taking up valuable visibility. Gardai at a checkpoint could end up stopping the vehicle if the driver is alone thinking it is a learner, taking up unnecessary time. You're in favour of the 2 plates at once, i've gathered, i'll park that point then.

If you have to display plates then yes if there are multiple drivers I would in no way expect them to have to be put up and taken down all the time.

I don’t think there should be any plates though, N plates especially I have no idea of the point and L plates either I don’t see the point. I drive the same regardless if the car in front has no plates, L plates or N plates, stupid idiotic baby on board stickers etc etc.

If you have to display plates then yes if there are multiple drivers I would in no way expect them to have to be put up and taken down all the time.

I don’t think there should be any plates though, N plates especially I have no idea of the point and L plates either I don’t see the point. I drive the same regardless if the car in front has no plates, L plates or N plates, stupid idiotic baby on board stickers etc etc.

Harder to make out the L/N/Baby on board plates/signs on cars with factory tinted rear windows.

I would be more cautious with an L driver, purely in case they panic or slam on the brakes. Any figures on how many people are on learner permits in the country?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Harder to make out the L/N/Baby on board plates/signs on cars with factory tinted rear windows.

I would be more cautious with an L driver, purely in case they panic or slam on the brakes. Any figures on how many people are on learner permits in the country?

I'm no closer to someone without an L badge, than someone with it. Just because they passed a test doesn't mean they are a good driver or that the car is kept, the brakes could be dodgy, tyres worn down.

• Advertisement

I'm no closer to someone without an L badge, than someone with it. Just because they passed a test doesn't mean they are a good driver or that the car is kept, the brakes could be dodgy, tyres worn down.

Always the 2 second rule in the dry, 4 in the wet :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Jimbob1977 wrote:

It should be an offence to display L plates incorrectly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

We were just talking about this the other night. We always displayed our L plates when learning years ago + I would always have more patience if driving behind an L driver as we all had to learn.

However I can see why you wouldn't display them now. I drive a lot + often come across Garda checkpoints. They usually check tax, insurance etc but never ask for licence. However if you had L plates up that's it car would be taken. So obviously young people going to chance their luck + not put them up as likely they won't ask for licence all time. I thinks it more dangerous as if inexperienced might make mistakes like we all did but people might not keep their distance so more likely to have an accident.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Cant they be prosecuted for driving without insurance also?

Cant they be prosecuted for driving without insurance also?

The insurance isn't null and void so to speak, third parties would be covered as obliged under legislation, the policy holder would be liable for their own damage though.

If the driver/vehicle is uninsured the it's off to the M.I.B.I

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The smell!

Do you ever get the smell off your river in summer city slicker? Must be from all the p1ss and sh1t that city slickers pour into it.

driver02 wrote: »
    Not a fan of L drivers flouting the law but that Clancy man is a bit of a I won't say in my opinion :mad: I actually know the man that was first on the scene of that accident and there were a lot of facts twisted in that case, the same man wasn't even called to the trial as a witness.

Any time I was stopped at a checkpoint over the last 4 years the first tihing a garda asks for is your licence.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Not a fan of L drivers flouting the law but that Clancy man is a bit of a I won't say in my opinion :mad: I actually know the man that was first on the scene of that accident and there were a lot of facts twisted in that case, the same man wasn't even called to the trial as a witness.

Whether or not anyone was called to trial or no reflection of Mr Clancy, that would be the fault of the Gardai or DPS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It should be an offence to display L plates incorrectly

That sounds good in theory but then you'd have to throw out the L plates every time a fully qualified driver drives a car used by a learner. I know the magnetic plates do exist but the adhesive ones seem way more popular.

Advertisement