Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My spin today...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Hi - wondering how you get familiar with where the trails are, and what they are called? Is it pure word of mouth, meeting others etc? I've been up in Ticknock many times with my son. We've found a fair few trails, but haven't done anything over to Tibradden. The legends highline looks good, I'll try to use the map, and other maps on internet to find this and other trails.

A few ways... there's still some MTB clubs around, MAD, EPIC, IMBRC...although with lockdown they've suspended all club activity, but I'm sure will run beginner spins again in 2021...

All the official Coillte trails are around Ticknock, once you venture outside that you're getting into natural trails that aren't easy to find or follow and would contain a lot of surprises in the form of varying steep gradients, poor surfaces and abrupt endings so direct opposite to the Coillte trails, also if you fall and hurt yourself you're not likely to see anyone on those trails come along and if you have to call Mountain rescue you may not be able to guide them to where you are....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks Tenzor. Some good Coillte trails up there in Ticknock, and great to see some more under construction too. Will continue to poke around. Good to know about the MTB clubs, I might suggest the young fella take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Use the trailforks app. That's how I found these trails and other natural trails at djouce, ballinastoe etc. Good advice from Tenzor regarding these natural trails. They can be very sketchy, especially in winter with the constant wet conditions and they are much quieter too, a good thing in some ways but means you're on your own if something happens.

Wailin wrote: »
    Use the trailforks app. That's how I found these trails and other natural trails at djouce, ballinastoe etc. Good advice from Tenzor regarding these natural trails. They can be very sketchy, especially in winter with the constant wet conditions and they are much quieter too, a good thing in some ways but means you're on your own if something happens.

Not only that but as we go further into the winter the conditions on those trails can change every week and throw up new surprises... with the evenings closing in also you don't want to get injured or lost in the woods where it can be very dark around 3 to 3.30pm...

Of course there's loads of little Facebook groups around that will run casual meets and take in some of those trails, however most of those in these groups don't really know each other and won't be hanging around too long at the end of a trail if you're not with the main group due to a fall or something... also they're unlikely to have someone with a first aid pack or some basic training...

So clubs are best, hopefully they should all be back up and running after the restrictions are lifted...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

It’s definitely worth joining one of the above mentioned clubs, great way to get to know the trails and get out on regular spins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I don't normally post on my spins but on Saturday I had one of the most enjoyable spins but also a bit of a disastrous one too.
    While exploring some trails close to our regular trails I had a pretty big off.
    I took my eyes off where I was going for a second and in an instant I was face down seriously winded and intense pain.
    I knew straight away I'd fractured a few ribs as I've done so before on the road bike that time wasn't my fault but this time totally my own fault.
    The right pedal took a lump out of a tree trunk which threw me and the bike into the air.
    Fcuk me ice been in terrible pain since only tonight feeling up to anything at all .
    Couple of fractured ribs front and back , massively bruised leg,slight cut on leg, sprained thumb and a bruised ego
    Moral of the story , I was far too complacent, many years of experience
    does not make one immune to a big off.
    Concentrate out there guys, it was bone dry out there Saturday, it was perfect conditions I thought I was invincible.
    Never too old to learn but older means slower recovery :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Dcully wrote: »
    Never too old to learn but older means slower recovery Less Bouncy :(

More like this :D

Heal well broken ribs are a pest

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Look after yourself dcully, nothing worse than a big off, im becoming over cautious lately, conditions are lethal on our trails at the moment, tis that time of year unfortunately, be careful folks

Did Ticknock today, first proper outing since lockdown and I bloody felt it on the climbs.

Anyone do the new Afterburner trail and if so what did you think of it? A lot of work gone in to it, far play to the guys who put in all that effort, but I'm not really a fan of it. It's far too convoluted and a bit messy for my liking.

I did a few of the natural trails which I tend to prefer anyway. Mucky, rooty and sketchy but good fun. Great to get out again after all this time.

50667638773_2daf30ccb9_c.jpg

50668385296_c2f0b352e0_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Anyone do the new Afterburner trail and if so what did you think of it? A lot of work gone in to it, far play to the guys who put in all that effort, but I'm not really a fan of it. It's far too convoluted and a bit messy for my liking.

Did it on Friday and while I did like it, I don't see why they didn't build it parallel or near to the old trail rather than replacing it? I was a fan of the old trail too and with the scope of the extent of work they've done, couldn't they have built a completely new trail nearby for similar cost / effort?

• Advertisement

Yeap, a lot of work went into designing and building, it really does set the standard now for trail centres, and the old blazing saddle trail is patched up well too...

Judging by the numbers of people on that trail at the weekend it's extremely popular..

Only gripe? If they could have built a shortcut/climbing trail back up to the start...

I don't think you're the only one. I've heard a few people saying that they have done a lot of work on it but essentially ruined a natural flow trail while doing so. I've never ridden it myself before or after so no opinion :D

Here's the new trail for anyone who hasn't seen it..

What was there before was worn out and no one used it anymore really... now it's probably the most popular Coillte trail...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭prunudo

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I don't think you're the only one. I've heard a few people saying that they have done a lot of work on it but essentially ruined a natural flow trail while doing so. I've never ridden it myself before or after so no opinion :D

Have heard the same said about expressway in Ballinastoe. I think people get familiar with how a trail flows and feels. When it gets revamped it takes a while to figure what to do and where to do it.
    Initially it can be overwhelming as there are so many new features to learn and piece together but once you put it all together its a great trail and bodes well for further more advanced Coillte trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Tenzor07 wrote:
    Here's the new trail for anyone who hasn't seen it..

Jesus lads, that looks fantastic, fair play to the lads that done the work

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

Great work on those trails, great to see it happening, fair play to the designers and builders.

Biopace wrote: »
    Great work on those trails, great to see it happening, fair play to the designers and builders.

Goes to show what Mountain bikers can do, designing and building trails like this... originally the Ticknock and Ballinastoe(amongst others) trails were designed by an official from Coillte who wasn't a MTB'er so we got fairly bland trails that were also nice to go for a walk on..... There's no way you could confuse the new trail for a walking path! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Up in Ticknock today with by brother in-law and a friend of his who are both keen long term MTBers. Well outside my comfort zone for bits of it but learned a bit and enjoyed the few hours. Really need to get into the habit of making this a more regular thing and picking up a few skills. On a borrowed full suss bike so may also need to look at making an investment in a bike in the new year.

Out and about today. Some day for it.

50687852967_827c714a29_c.jpg

What's the general opinion on the e bikes lads? I love the fitness aspect of the climbs, but I prefer the downhill parts which can be limited by how often you can do the climbs (duh!).

Got talking to a chap today about his ebike and he kindly let me try it out. Christ I couldn't get over how effortless it was on a climb. You could do multiple climbs and get in all the descents you want all day (with a spare battery). Very heavy, nearly 25kg, but apparently handle very well on descents and even jumps.

What's the general opinion on the e bikes lads? I love the fitness aspect of the climbs, but I prefer the downhill parts which can be limited by how often you can do the climbs (duh!).

My opinion and I think the same for 99% of people who have tried one. They're great craic and would be ideal for big mountain adventures. As you say you can do so many more runs in the time you've allowed for a spin. I'd forget about the similarities in relation to the fitness side as it goes around in circles with the nay sayers not understanding you still have to pedal.

Would I buy one? Sure if I had the money. Would I buy one as my only bike? Probably not.

Check out Mctrailrider on youtube he has some epic trips on his ebike bagging munroes like they're nothing.

• Advertisement

Yes I'm subscribed to his channel and its superb. I was thinking the same also about the e bike being your only bike. I think if you could afford one, it'd be great as a second bike for full days out.

Got talking to a chap today about his ebike and he kindly let me try it out. Christ I couldn't get over how effortless it was on a climb. You could do multiple climbs and get in all the descents you want all day (with a spare battery). Very heavy, nearly 25kg, but apparently handle very well on descents and even jumps.

Well, Ticknock seems to be full of eMTB's, loads of lads young and old large and small on them...so the popularity seems to be growing....

I'd say go ahead and buy one, if your primary aim is to use it as a Shuttle replacement, to get you to the top of the hill as quickly as possible so you can spend the majority of your time doing DH runs...
    .....The Gap bike park has vans doing shuttle runs but can see that being reduced as more electric bicycles are used....
    ...... You can have big tyres, big suspension 150 - 170mm without having to incur the full fitness requirements to push that weight up the hill, just let the motor take the strain....

Would I buy one? No...
    If I had a spare €6,000 in my pocket would I buy one? Yes..
    Would It be my only bike? Absolutely not!!
    What would I use it for? Recovery days, finding climbing routes that would normally be too steep to make it on a standard bike.

Do I think they are worth it for Ireland? Absolutely not, we don't have any real mountains, descents only last a few minutes at best, we have rolling hills which as you get lighter/fitter only become quicker for you to climb therefore you get more DH runs in...
    .....If I lived near the French/Italian/Swiss Alps/mountains they would be great to get up the long long ascents to enjoy a DH run if there was no ski lift or shuttle available...

I could go on but that's the gist of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

quick question folks - I'd like to try cycle from the GAP over to ticknock ( I dont really know how far or hard that would be ) but my question is, would I be expected to pay the Gap peddle pass fee just to cycle up the track ?

Thanks

RobAMerc wrote: »
    quick question folks - I'd like to try cycle from the GAP over to ticknock ( I dont really know how far or hard that would be ) but my question is, would I be expected to pay the Gap peddle pass fee just to cycle up the track ?

Why would you go from the Gap over to Ticknock, just cycle up the Ballyedmonduff road and around?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Why would you go from the Gap over to Ticknock, just cycle up the Ballyedmonduff road and around?

Safe parking and burgers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

RobAMerc wrote: »

Thanks

Well given that you’ll likely be pedaling back to the Gap car park again, down a Gap trail, then I’d say you would.

Can’t beat a Gapknock spin anyway - did it myself today. Best of both worlds

prunudo wrote: »
    Safe parking and burgers :D

I believe it's €2.50 for parking and if someone was to cycle on the Gap trails then they should pay the €5 also...

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I believe it's €2.50 for parking and if someone was to cycle on the Gap trails then they should pay the €5 also...

Yeah, there's cheaper ways to get to Ticknock, but for €7 I find it a good option. Safe parking, mix of gap and Ticknock trials plus the advantage of the burgers if feeling peckish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Sorry, I meant to say I was going to get dropped off at the GAP and cycle home over ticknock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

You can cycle the section through GAP on the Dublin Mountains Way walkers path for free.

Advertisement