Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

CramCycle wrote: »
    That's it, I give up, society has failed, nothing more to be done.
    It says a lot about the Road Safety Authority that you regularly have to check whether their output is genuinely their's or satire directed against them.
    I'm disgusted by the parenting in that video, left the kids out to play in the driveway and no hi-vis on them. Whats the number for Tusla?
    i left a comment to that effect on the video, maybe they'll be wondering why it was picked out.
    eeeee wrote: »
    That's outrageous. Absolutely outrageous.

A few years ago I did jury duty for two rtas. The first one involved a family. The father was driving his school aged children to school. He put them in the car and the mother left the toddler in the kitchen. The toddler somehow got out of the kitchen and was rolled over and killed in the driveway by the father.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was that coroner's court, or being treated as a criminal case?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

was that coroner's court, or being treated as a criminal case?

Neither, it was an RTA so we had to determine that it was an RTA and not something else. They would have to come back again for something else, possibly coroner's court.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A few years ago I did jury duty for two rtas. The first one involved a family. The father was driving his school aged children to school. He put them in the car and the mother left the toddler in the kitchen. The toddler somehow got out of the kitchen and was rolled over and killed in the driveway by the father.

Kind of proves the point. You should drive in and out of driveways as if there is a child in the direction you are driving. Nothing in that advert would have prevented that IMO bar the checking around. I have a small child and two dogs, even after closing the door and making sure they are not out and about, I still drive as if they could be. Our neighbours kid could easily run in unannounced for whatever reason.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

7050_42d5_500.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

7050_42d5_500.jpeg

The front of the jersey says "I hate"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/decathlon-plans-april-opening-of-new-dublin-flagship-store-1.4001693

Decathlon to open beside IKEA in April next. I routinely drive 50/60km out of my way on holidays to visit a decathlon. Looking forward to having one in Dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I know it's a cliche to say "my taxes are paying for this". But f**king hell, my taxes are paying for this?
    the amazing thing is that this was proposed, written, rewritten and then a professional company paid to shoot the video and no one said 'uh, do we look like the bad guys now?' during that whole process.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I suppose they just really believe that people have to drive a lot, and, apart from not drink-driving and not speeding, there's not a lot motorists can do to avoid hitting all these untrained and hard-to-see meat-based life forms wandering around.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Coincidentally, a chap I know yesterday posted a photo on Facebook of his reversing camera. His young fella, aged around six or seven, fills the screen, giving him the finger.

• Advertisement

out washing the bike, having a can of beer. you finish the beer, and open another can, and stamp on the first to put it in the green bin. except you stamp on the wrong can. ah well, you've the hose handy to rinse the bike back down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Sake, in the last 3 years I had two accidents with cars (well 1 bus and 1 jeep), both of which I got up from and cycled on.

In the gym today defending a takedown but got turned over and hit the mat full force on my shoulder. Currently contemplating going for an xray because I'm in quite a bit of pain only I assume all A&E depts near me will be full of pissheads that were at the all ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,723 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Coincidentally, a chap I know yesterday posted a photo on Facebook of his reversing camera. His young fella, aged around six or seven, fills the screen, giving him the finger.

related to the RSA driveway content, I assume reversing cameras will become mandatory on new cars before long. They would prevent a lot of driveway accidents. Some of the bigger SUVs could use cameras to the front as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

loyatemu wrote: »
    related to the RSA driveway content, I assume reversing cameras will become mandatory on new cars before long. They would prevent a lot of driveway accidents. Some of the bigger SUVs could use cameras to the front as well :(

I always reverse into my drive for that reason, much less likely to hit a small child when you're leaving.

i live on a busy road (with a bus lane) so always reverse in; a week ago, and for the second time since we moved here about six years ago, i had a bus driver behind me try to prevent me from reversing in, as a punishment for the temerity of being in the bus lane. he pulled up behind me and started flashing his lights at me.

Dublin City Council votes to pedestrianise Lower Liffey Street
    https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-council-votes-to-pedestrianise-lower-liffey-street-4792383-Sep2019/

obviously positive news, but i am always wary that actions like this deflate the cause slightly for a time - a 'we've ticked the pedestrianisation box, so that's off the agenda for another six months or a year' response.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

It would be nice to see the same for South William Street too. It was so pleasant when they had it blocked off for the day during the summer. It's such a nice historic street that is totally ruined by cars. Even if they just removed the parking and widened the footpaths it would make a massive improvement.

Was just in deals in santry. They have bottles of 'no more dirty bike' - their bike degreaser - back in stock for the first time in ages. Looks identical to the muc off stuff but is a fraction of the price, €1.50 a bottle.

Was just in deals in santry. They have bottles of 'no more dirty bike' - their bike degreaser - back in stock for the first time in ages. Looks identical to the muc off stuff but is a fraction of the price, €1.50 a bottle.

Its ****e

fine for me so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I always reverse into my drive for that reason, much less likely to hit a small child when you're leaving.

I remember hearing it was illegal to reverse out of a driveway, not sure if it is true or just advised. Some saying the same in comments here.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/road-safety-ireland-2-1112826-Oct2013/#comments

I see FAR more primary schoolkids cycling on the footpath to school these days, and more on the paths in general than years ago, the media & scum DJs have done an excellent job of terrifying people and putting people off cycling or having parents forbid children from using the roads -I also see far more adults on footpaths in my estate, presumably also scared.

I remember it being said as the reason on the spot fines introduced a few years back did not include cycling on footpaths -so kids could continue to. Some think/presume kids are allowed to, I even saw some county council website say this but it was a cut & paste from some other country where children under a certain age are permitted.

I think the law should be changed and kids under a certain age or weight(controversial of course) should be allowed, but as it is currently (AFAIK) illegal even if its a toddler on a tricycle -so the RSA will likely not dare have an ad warning about the increase in numbers doing it. The only cycling related death I personally know of was involving a car backing out and hitting a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Doing the rounds on Facebook. Supposedly from Wigan in 1899.

69841696_2713172702061049_397286171392081920_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_oc=AQl6DmYfxhIiJZArK2c8hkuKJG14y-VOyblyo4_ih3Qk4m-u0mQHNvlz_MreZCg4yqY&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=1a7d2486bc39804a6a3cf8e7fa31de33&oe=5E0415F7

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Belongs in the journalism thread. Sheesh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Don't make me use my fists in a scientific fashion!!!

Wish I could use my fists in any fashion. Turns out I've torn the AC joint in my shoulder. Only a grade 1, not the end of the world, however I'm 9 weeks out from a fight, being on restricted training and no cycling allowed is far from ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Don't make me use my fists in a scientific fashion!!!
    Loved that line, did a search and found a pic!

https://historicalfightingguide.tumblr.com/post/157082299557/using-her-firsts-in-scientific-fashion-would

tumblr_ol6s57udq41vpzyyao2_1280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Just be careful with it. It can be quite corrosive.
    If you don't leave it on too long and make sure to rinse well, you should be alright.
    I have stopped using it, because of corrosion to brake callipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I spent €20 on Fenwicks foam degreaser plus the bike wash product,for quick and easy washes these products are as good as you'll get. €20 may seem pricey but the bike was spotless in 5 mins after a weekend of dirty back roads.

fine for me so far.

Low standards :pac:

• Advertisement

i ride between the raindrops, so i have less need to wash my bike.

a friend left his bike here at the weekend; he dropped by with it because it needed a few maintenance jobs, but the very first one i tackled went as i'd expected; the headset was shot, so he left it here and has ordered new bearings and more parts. i decided to wash his bike, and sorely missed having a good degreaser, he doesn't have the time or space to clean the bike and by god, was it caked. i had to scrub it with a toothbrush soaked in WD40 to get through some of it.

Advertisement