Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubeless road - it actually works

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

on sealant if your topping up id recommend doing it thru the valve, the sealant also helps seal the tyre to the rim, you will notice some on edges, so you break that by taking it off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

So puncture on the way home. It's no9t massive, a mm or so from I assume the glass I cycled into accidentally and the sealant worked although I only noticed at a long red light so I'd lost a lot of pressureaa.. I've left it alone since yesterday and there's minimum pressure in the tyre.

What are the next steps? Should I take the tyre off and look to see if there's any foreign object in the hole then lots of sealant and blow up the tyre and rotate till sealant seals it off?

Leave the hole alone, makes sure there's plenty of sealant in the tyre and inflate to cycling pressure and see if it holds?

Install a road bike patch on the inside? Drop of super glue?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

So puncture on the way home. It's no9t massive, a mm or so from I assume the glass I cycled into accidentally and the sealant worked although I only noticed at a long red light so I'd lost a lot of pressureaa.. I've left it alone since yesterday and there's minimum pressure in the tyre.

What are the next steps? Should I take the tyre off and look to see if there's any foreign object in the hole then lots of sealant and blow up the tyre and rotate till sealant seals it off?

Leave the hole alone, makes sure there's plenty of sealant in the tyre and inflate to cycling pressure and see if it holds?

Install a road bike patch on the inside? Drop of super glue?

I'd be inclined to leave the wheel standing, with the hole at the bottom. Letting the sealant gather round that region. Then pluck out the glass from the outside. Sealant should sort that bit out.
    Unless the offending foreign object might somehow be long enough to scratch against the inside of your sidewall and cause damage there (like a nail might in a car Tyre e.g) then no need to dismount the Tyre.
    Possibly the pressure loss might have been because you were stood at lights but the hole and sealent might have been at opposite ends....hence I recommend find the hole and put it at the bottom just long enough to let the goo/sealent to make its way to that area and seal it all up. Might only take one minute.

In theory that shouldn't be necessary as the sealant should coat the entire Tyre but in practice I'm not yet convinced that works....seen a few cases where there's white gunk spewing out all over the place rather than just sealing a simple hole.
    (No rude replies or innsuations please :p )

Well.... I decided to take this moment to flip my tyre as it was on the wrong way (regardless that it has no effect on use)... I..... cannot......reseat......the b*stard..... Losing my mind...... I need to find a universal chuck head thing for a air compressor because the convertor thing doesn't make a proper seal with the schrader chuck I have.....

Only other thing I'll try is removing the core and see if that's holding back a bigger push of air.... Or maybe it's time to buy one of those track pumps with a pressure resevoir......

Actually there are some chunky bits of latex dried on the edges of the tyre. Could this be stopping it seating properly? Any easy way to remove this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've found for a glass puncture that sealant won't seal the tire when you try to inflate back up to 80psi or so - I've used an inner tube patch on the inside of the tire.

No idea what would happen if that happened out on the road though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Well.... I decided to take this moment to flip my tyre as it was on the wrong way (regardless that it has no effect on use)... I..... cannot......reseat......the b*stard..... Losing my mind...... I need to find a universal chuck head thing for a air compressor because the convertor thing doesn't make a proper seal with the schrader chuck I have.....

Only other thing I'll try is removing the core and see if that's holding back a bigger push of air.... Or maybe it's time to buy one of those track pumps with a pressure resevoir......

Actually there are some chunky bits of latex dried on the edges of the tyre. Could this be stopping it seating properly? Any easy way to remove this stuff?

i've tried to re seat a tubeless tire after a similar incident - spent a lot of time trying and in hindshight wish i hadn't. just put a new tire on, i know they cost money but it's not worth the hassle really.

who_ru wrote: »
    i've tried to re seat a tubeless tire after a similar incident - spent a lot of time trying and in hindshight wish i hadn't. just put a new tire on, i know they cost money but it's not worth the hassle really.

That can't be the only solution. Do you use a compressor?

That can't be the only solution. Do you use a compressor?

I think once you have to take a tubeless tyre off....then basically that's it, game over, you're back to tubed-type for that wheel :mad:

Before I decided to go tubeless on my TLR 'winter wheels' I was watching a couple of vids, and saw this lad (who'd done some reviews of indoor trainers so I had him on my YT feed), and he had one where he tried swapping front/rear tyres after a while to even out the wear. Failed. Then I saw this one - again a fail, even with one of those cool pumps where you build up the pressure before letting it rip into the valve. All kicks off at about 10:10mins in:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Looks like the probalem is with old sealant in the video.
    Is there a simple way to remove dried selant on tubeless tyres?

I feel that guys pain. So I finally managed to get the schwalbe one back on but the wired Giant Gavia is an absolute no go... Throwing a tube in so I can cycle to work tomorrow. Will bite the bullet and get a new tyre but I'll use it as an excuse to get a proper resevoir jobby and some other bits n bobs. The biggest issue with my compressor is A it's crap and B there's no rubber gromit thingy so it can't make an airtight seal with the presta to schrader convertor.

Hold on a shake.... Does one put sealant in before or after getting a seal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'd prefer not to load up with the full dose of sealant until I know it's going to seal. So I'd try first without anyway, if that's not working then a few ml, like a teaspoon.
    On re use I transferred a schwalbe pro one from my old wheel to new , 3 months and probably 1200km on it, and it went up with no bother.. new schwalbe went onto the back and that didnt seal as easily

So deflated Schwalbe to make sure I'd enough sealant in and the bead broke... Derp... But it reinflated no problem, happy days.

Tried the Giant gavia (wired) with sealant, without sealant, with swearing and without but no bueno.....

So tube has gone in, I've ordered an airtank you can pump up with a track pump and a new Schwalbe. I will never break the bead on these tires again so help me......

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Swapped over wheels last week and switched front to back tyres as I wanted 28 on back and 25 on front. No problem seating and sealing tyre beads despite lots of old sealant that had set around the bead. Re-Used existing Muc-off sealant. just topped it up a bit. There was a bit of faffing with one of the valves as I had loosened it to make sure beads were properly seated. But after a couple of attempts I had finger tightened it enough to get a good seal. All of this done with a regular floor pump. A bit of gloop got on the rims but a quick spray of the garden hose and they were fine. Tyres were Schwalbe Pro 1s on Zonda tubeless rims.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I was going to ask where you were based, and offer the use of my schwalbe air booster. But I see you have it sorted.

I've had a tyre become unseated twice. Once when I deflated them for air travel. And the second time when I got a puncture from a thorn, which the sealant didn't seal. That one was slow so didn't notice until the following day.

I got them reseated again but it was a real pain each time. I have the air booster now, but haven't had a chance to use it properly yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

see thats why im sold on mavic stuff, even if it does unseat during travel, no need for anything but track pump,

in terms of back up, i think im going look aty a presta converto so i could use a compressor pump at petrol station, and get a patch too along with tubeless levers for emergency tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You'll probably still have issues at the petrol station. I had the converter, but still had to remove the inner valve to seat the tyre, and then switch over to the track pump. And that was a station where you didn't have to pay a euro for three minutes.

manafana wrote: »
    see thats why im sold on mavic stuff, even if it does unseat during travel, no need for anything but track pump,

in terms of back up, i think im going look aty a presta converto so i could use a compressor pump at petrol station, and get a patch too along with tubeless levers for emergency tubes.

I have the convertor but the chuck on the compressor needs to be one that has a rubber gromit thingy to make the seal airtight otherwise it's fine for inflating but you don't get a proper push of air to pop the tyre onto the bead if you're having trouble.

Has anyone tried the dynaplug repair kits?

They look like the normal rubber plugs but come with a pointed end that stays in the tire instead of using a tool to work them in as other repair kits too.

I have a Lezyne repair kit - only once had a puncture that wouldn't seal but I couldn't get the Lezyne plug or tool to work and it looked like I was making things worse tbh.

Thankfully I was almost home but I still have a bit of tubeless anxiety since. This looks like it might be a much easier and quicker solution for any hole that is too big to seal with sealant

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/12/dynaplug-tubeless-tyre-repair-review-air-racer-carbonlite/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Has anyone tried the dynaplug repair kits?

Yes, I have the Dynaplug Racer. I've only had to use it once in anger but it did the job perfectly. I had a puncture that wasn't sealing (more down to the crappy Finish Line sealant than the hole being too big methinks:() so I stopped, pulled out the Dynaplug, took off the lid, plunged the end into the hole and pulled it out. The 'barbed' brass bit sicks in the tyre and leaves the plug end sticking out. Sealed it instantly and I didn't need to add air. I'd say I was stopped for all of 45 seconds max, the last 15 of which was me marvelling at the simplicity of the solution!:p

It's a very nicely finished bit of essential kit and you can get spare plugs to replace the ones you use. The Racer has one plug in each end, a large one and a small one. I'd recommend that anyone running tubeless carries one. You can also stick 2 plugs in if the hole is too big. I got mine in 360 Cycles in Clontarf.

All I carry when I'm on the tubeless bike is the Dynaplug Racer and a Topeak Race Rocket mini pump (the Dynaplug sits snugly under the pump's rubber retaining band). No tubes, no repair kit. I was freaked about getting a puncture while running the tubeless wheels but had a eureka moment when I came across Dynaplugs. Highly recommended.

Do ye have to catch it before the tyre goes too flat? Like I'd imagine it'd need some 'resistance' when you're forcing the plug through the tyre casing?

• Advertisement

Yes, I have the Dynaplug Racer. I've only had to use it once in anger but it did the job perfectly. I had a puncture that wasn't sealing (more down to the crappy Finish Line sealant than the hole being too big methinks:() so I stopped, pulled out the Dynaplug, took off the lid, plunged the end into the hole and pulled it out. The 'barbed' brass bit sicks in the tyre and leaves the plug end sticking out. Sealed it instantly and I didn't need to add air. I'd say I was stopped for all of 45 seconds max, the last 15 of which was me marvelling at the simplicity of the solution!:p

It's a very nicely finished bit of essential kit and you can get spare plugs to replace the ones you use. The Racer has one plug in each end, a large one and a small one. I'd recommend that anyone running tubeless carries one. You can also stick 2 plugs in if the hole is too big. I got mine in 360 Cycles in Clontarf.

All I carry when I'm on the tubeless bike is the Dynaplug Racer and a Topeak Race Rocket mini pump (the Dynaplug sits snugly under the pump's rubber retaining band). No tubes, no repair kit. I was freaked about getting a puncture while running the tubeless wheels but had a eureka moment when I came across Dynaplugs. Highly recommended.
    Thanks, will order one! Looks like a much better solution for plugging a hole than the more typical tool which seems to be a cross between a fork and a screwdriver

andy69 wrote: »
    Do ye have to catch it before the tyre goes too flat? Like I'd imagine it'd need some 'resistance' when you're forcing the plug through the tyre casing?

I guess it depends on where the puncture is. Sidewall would be easier with a totally flat tyre as opposed to the top of the tyre but if you pinch the tyre you should be ok (being careful not to unseat the bead). The Dynaplug is so quick and easy to use, once you see the sealant is not doing the trick, just jab it with a plug before you have lost too much pressure. TBH my biggest concern was sealant spitting all over my frame!

Thanks, will order one! Looks like a much better solution for plugging a hole than the more typical tool which seems to be a cross between a fork and a screwdriver

Yes, it does! Also the 'anchovies' in the other system dry out which the Dynaplug ones don't seem to suffer from.

All I carry when I'm on the tubeless bike is the Dynaplug Racer and a Topeak Race Rocket mini pump (the Dynaplug sits snugly under the pump's rubber retaining band).

Here's a pic of my complete tubeless rescue kit!

511030.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

That's a tidy job alright.
    Think I'll have to invest.

That's a tidy job alright.
    Think I'll have to invest.

It's tidy alright. Here's a pic of it in my hand showing the size of the plugs.

511040.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

Looks great. Mind made up.
    I have the Mavic UST system, was a bit anxious about punctures etc but these look the business.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭harringtonp

They look great alright if not cheap. The one time I pulled out a plug, it had fused with the backing paper and was impossible to get off.

Was pumping up tires this evening before heading out and rear valve tip snapped off. Wasn't unexpected as the same happened the front last year. Anyway had spare tubeless valves in waiting and the replacement went very smooth. Only had to take one side of tyre of near valve to replace. Saw sealant was finished so good to refill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Courier delivered the goods today. Let the fun and games begin, not that I’ll be riding outside anytime soon.

511406.jpeg

Anyway had spare tubeless valves in waiting

I only just discovered that coloured tubeless valves exist. My life is now complete.:p

https://www.merlincycles.com/muc-off-tubeless-valve-kit-131109.html

• Advertisement

I'm now running tubeless on all my bikes (aside from those I leave at the parents house etc.) so trying to put together a repair kit that will fit in a very small saddle bag. I know some people take much less than this too.

So far I've got:
    Dynaplug pill (on order - looks better than any previous repair kits I've tried)
    1x spare tube & valve extender (I'd take two on a longer ride if using clinchers but think this could be overkill). Any suggestion on the smallest tube that I can order that would fit a 28mm tire?
    1x CO2 & inflater (may put a second in for longer rides)
    Minipump (attached to frame - this is a tiny pump and probably not great for getting any sort of pressure but prefer to keep in case of emergency)
    2x Park Tool tubeless specific tire levers
    Tire boot
    Tube patch

Non-tire related:
    Multitool
    Quick-link
    Cable tie

Anything else people would recommend?

Advertisement