Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

KCross wrote: »
    You've been complaining in almost every post about the state of the charging networks and how the Rex is the best thing since sliced pan and now you are saying you are willing to switch because you will be doing an extra 50km a day?! :confused:

Surely your i3 Rex is more than capable of handling 200km's? Is it really that short range?

Please dont buy any FWD car... i dont think I could take your daily posts complaining about your inability to control it on roundabouts! :D

The i3 Rex will do as much range as I want as long as there's petrol in the tank.

The Rex is the best thing since slice bread and if every EV had one I wouldn't need to take the outlander lol.

The interest is attractive on the id.3 though.

Complain ? have I ever complained ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

jhegarty wrote: »
    The I3 gang keeps getting smaller.

No surprise considering the i3 model is essentially at the end of the road and has been since the 120ah model.

I'm hoping they start talking about an i1 soon, assuming the i3 will eventually evolve into more of a 3-series sized car. I'd love to stick with BMW when my lease is up, but the i4 is just too much of a sedan.

I'd take an electric Mini Clubman too, but seems to be nothing rumoured about that.

MJohnston wrote: »
    No surprise considering the i3 model is essentially at the end of the road and has been since the 120ah model.

I'm hoping they start talking about an i1 soon, assuming the i3 will eventually evolve into more of a 3-series sized car. I'd love to stick with BMW when my lease is up, but the i4 is just too much of a sedan.

I'd take an electric Mini Clubman too, but seems to be nothing rumoured about that.

That's the ix1, probably the end of the year before that's even ready to order.

I think the i3 is rumoured another battery upgrade before production ends.

Entry ix3 will be fwd too and probably still cost 45K or more for basic of basic knowing BMW.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

MJohnston wrote: »

The new Mini range is expected from 2023. Rumours indicate they'll have 3 electric modes, a new hatch (smaller than the current one), an electric Countryman, and a new electric crossover possibly bringing back the Paceman name

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/mini/countryman/302902/three-new-electric-mini-models-due-by-2023

Crises averted, new site has 2 X 22 Kw chargers with 2 outlets and they were only too happy to let me charge! Happy days, I can drive up and down to work again with the foot to the floor! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Crises averted, new site has 2 X 22 Kw chargers with 2 outlets and they were only too happy to let me charge! Happy days, I can drive up and down to work again with the foot to the floor! :-)

Dammit, thought we'd finally nailed the REX coffin shut :)

Good news on the chargers, hope the new job works out

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Dammit, thought we'd finally nailed the REX coffin shut :)

Good news on the chargers, hope the new job works out

Thanks, yes I have had enough of working for U.S companies and all their bullsh1t and the toxic environments they create.

Yeah I'll have the Rex another while, we'll see what happens in the Summer.

I was really impressed to see the 77 Kwh id.3 take 50 Kwh in 29 mins, my old Leaf could manage 18 Khw in 40 or 50 mins if the battery was cold :D

I hope VW can improve the cold battery management for fast charging. The korean cars don't manage it too well and I think they just have the battery heater to allow max regen and acceleration just like the i3 and fast charging a cold battery probably didn't even register.

EV engineers should be made drive the EVs in Winter and see how they like it.

But man, for a car like the i3 50 Kwh in 29 mins is very impressive, you loose the middle rear seat but It's going to be useless for me anyway, the Boys are 5 and 6 and half so we'll need them for a good few years yet.

It will be interesting to see what Kia come out with later this year with their move to 800 volts. Probably be a 2022 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,764 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I was really impressed to see the 77 Kwh id.3 take 50 Kwh in 29 mins

Next time have a look how much Teslas can take in 29 minutes :p

Anyway, always cheaper to stay in your current car than to enter another extremely expensive PCP contract. Do save up what you're not spending on your monthly payment though and in a few years time you would be in a much stronger position to get a much better deal on a new car.

unkel wrote: »
    Next time have a look how much Teslas can take in 29 minutes :p

Anyway, always cheaper to stay in your current car than to enter another extremely expensive PCP contract. Do save up what you're not spending on your monthly payment though and in a few years time you would be in a much stronger position to get a much better deal on a new car.

Money is money pcp or hp my greatest problem is high mileage.

1.5% is a cheap loan too.

Yeah Tesla’s take a nice chunk of power, the m3 sucks some decent power if only shortly would be nice to compare to the id3 77 kWh.

The charging at work is proving more hassle than it's worth, I'm getting attitude off the staff on site, see we're tenants in the building, basically the customer and some of the staff are making it difficult for no reason but because they can. I need an access card and have to practically beg them for it like they're giving me something of theirs for free, sometimes they leave me waiting for 10 mins for the access card. They won't give me the card they make me beg, they have lots of them.

This happens on every site I've tried to use these charge points it's a joke and these little assholes are only staff with no authority who hate to see you get anything.

So what should I do get my company to have a word, seek the actual bosses number/email ? or just give up ?

Seriously the attitude I get and believe me I am nice about it but every single time and site it's the same story. I don't feel entitled at all and if the boss says I can't use them then that's fine but it's not nice to be treated like this just because I drive an EV.

The charge points are there to use so if they don't want me to use them then they should say you're not allowed to use them but I want to hear it from the actual boss. I'm really sick to death of the hassle involved in trying to use work charge points it's really not worth the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Must admit, I don't see the attraction of workplace charging as a long term solution.
    I totally understand why it's desirable for an individual in the world of short range cars, but as an employer, I'd be expecting my employees to make their own way to and from their place of work. If their vehicle can't make the return journey on it's own, then that's a them problem, not a me problem.
    I wouldn't have a problem facilitating a third party charging operator.

liamog wrote: »
    Must admit, I don't see the attraction of workplace charging as a long term solution.
    I totally understand why it's desirable for an individual in the world of short range cars, but as an employer, I'd be expecting my employees to make their own way to and from their place of work. If their vehicle can't make the return journey on it's own, then that's a them problem, not a me problem.
    I wouldn't have a problem facilitating a third party charging operator.

You can be sure the Government incentives are decent for installing these chargers, and one of those conditions of this grant should be that they are free to use for anyone who has business on site, the cost per Kwh is way lower than what you and I pay so can't see how that matters.

Not everyone has home charging either, then again you could say they shouldn't have an EV and I agree, I wouldn't.

As I said I wouldn't mind being told by the boss the terms and conditions but not some snot nose nobody that just works there. If they Boss says no it's for Employees only I'm fine with that.

See the problem is that one member of staff is happy to oblige, another not, another doesn't want to get his ass off the chair and another doesn't know what the procedure is for the charge points etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,764 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's a right pain in the hole, Mad_Lad :mad:
    So what should I do get my company to have a word, seek the actual bosses number/email ? or just give up ?

I'd give it one more go. Pull some strings, go all out. All or nothing. Either you will end up with hassle free work place charging (great!) or if the hassle stays, just give up and get a longer range car.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

What's the point of having them if it can't be used!

Im sure it's not like people are queuing for them?

Better put an access card in, someone might steal the electricity. Would the site be in a busy place or off in some business/industrial park where there isn't much passing traffic.

A lot of it is for publicity rather than making it useful for employees

I've noticed that factory sites seem to be happy enough to install a few chargers and give it away for free. I guess the electricity usage is a drop in the ocean to them

Where I'm working now installed a bunch of EC charging 22kW chargers. They have 2 ENV-200 vans they use around the site so they use a couple of the chargers and the rest are for employees

They actually charge for the electricity (via plug surfing) at €0.16 per kWh, but I think in theory anyone including visitors can use them

Personally since it's one of those evil multinational software companies I think they could afford to give away the electricity for free, but I guess if it's paid then it means they can't restrict who uses the chargers either

I think where workplace charging is useful is when the employer to provides a bunch of company vehicles. It'd give them a way out of paying mileage if they make the charging available on site

Bit of an edge case though

unkel wrote: »
    That's a right pain in the hole, Mad_Lad :mad:

I'd give it one more go. Pull some strings, go all out. All or nothing. Either you will end up with hassle free work place charging (great!) or if the hassle stays, just give up and get a longer range car.

The last place I was on a short term contract I had asked security if I could use them and I was told yes, next morning I pulled in to the charging space and I hadn't even switched off the car but some other security guy was banging on my window ranting and raving and told me to move and I told him I was told I could use the charge points, he said no they're not connected yet and I said oh the lights are on they must be solar powered then he went red so I moved and it took a few weeks of pestering to speak to the Boss, they wouldn't give me his phone or email but I eventually caught him and he said go ahead you're welcome and told him the security staff tried everything to keep me away from them but they really went out of their way to stop me using them, one guy in particular you see this is what you're up against, useless nobodies thinking they're something special when they're just staff and useless staff at that.

graememk wrote: »
    What's the point of having them if it can't be used!

Im sure it's not like people are queuing for them?

Better put an access card in, someone might steal the electricity. Would the site be in a busy place or off in some business/industrial park where there isn't much passing traffic.

Well today I was told you are supposed to use it for 1 hr to give someone else the opportunity to charge and I said you can't be serious ? I'm the only one there with an EV and there's 3 free spaces lol. They're muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

but not some snot nose nobody that just works there.

:eek:.

Were they not wearing a face covering?
    Runny nose...........get 'em swabbed, quick :P.

I think you either need a longer ranger EV or one of those impressive, new, self charging Toyotas :pac:.

A lot of it is for publicity rather than making it useful for employees

I've noticed that factory sites seem to be happy enough to install a few chargers and give it away for free. I guess the electricity usage is a drop in the ocean to them

Where I'm working now installed a bunch of EC charging 22kW chargers. They have 2 ENV-200 vans they use around the site so they use a couple of the chargers and the rest are for employees

They actually charge for the electricity (via plug surfing) at €0.16 per kWh, but I think in theory anyone including visitors can use them

Personally since it's one of those evil multinational software companies I think they could afford to give away the electricity for free, but I guess if it's paid then it means they can't restrict who uses the chargers either

I think where workplace charging is useful is when the employer to provides a bunch of company vehicles. It'd give them a way out of paying mileage if they make the charging available on site

Bit of an edge case though

Yea they could well afford to give free charging but even if I had to pay for it I would if I had the opportunity and not to have to put up with the hassle, burning petrol in the rex is a lot less hassle.

The other problem is that now we're customers on site so you'd actually think they'd treat me better but if it's going to cause conflict I'll just have to leave it and use the Rex.

Oh yes, test drive Saturday 12 PM E-Niro lol.

Kramer wrote: »
    :eek:.

Were they not wearing a face covering?
    Runny nose...........get 'em swabbed, quick :P.

I think you either need a longer ranger EV or one of those impressive, new, self charging Toyotas :pac:.

Give them a kick in the arse they deserve more like it. :D

Yeah longer range EV would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Begrudgers and moaners, they are in every company. I had the same carry on when I was organising a charge point to be added to the office and there were moaners and begrudgers complaining about why they didn’t get free petrol!

Do as you did before, go over their head and get talking to the boss. You can be sure (s)he didn’t get it installed to have it sitting idle.

Begrudgers and moaners, they are in every company. I had the same carry on when I was organising a charge point to be added to the office and there were moaners and begrudgers complaining about why they didn’t get free petrol!

Do as you did before, go over their head and get talking to the boss. You can be sure (s)he didn’t get it installed to have it sitting idle.

Yeah you know the type.

If I can find out the bosses email but they probably won’t give it out and he’s not on site.

The staff can give us a hard time in many other ways so don’t want to rock the boat in the new job or cause difficulties for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Money is money pcp or hp my greatest problem is high mileage.

1.5% is a cheap loan too.

Yeah Tesla’s take a nice chunk of power, the m3 sucks some decent power if only shortly would be nice to compare to the id3 77 kWh.

You want cheap loan, Mad_Lad ? The Zoe is offered at 0.0% up to a max of 20k for the month of February. So here’s the plan - you trade in your REX and get 2 Zoes for the family - plenty of space and still 3-phase charging :)

Begrudgers and moaners, they are in every company.

Ever listen to Joe Duffy on radio - it's the national pastime ;).

I can only see work charging becoming more problematic/contentious, as we go forward, precisely because of this.

peposhi wrote: »
    you trade in your REX and get 2 Zoes for the family - plenty of space and still 3-phase charging :)

Why would you want to inflict that torture on Mad_Lad? An i3 to a Zoe?

Hope it all goes well for you! Be aware though of possible complications - I went to a Renault garage to enquire about a Zoe test drive for a friend and got told a Dublin dealer got done for doing test drives under the current Covid-19 restrictions so the initial answer was - no, we don’t do test drives. Then further down the conversation, knowing we are local (she lives very near, about 10 min by walk), he said we may get the car sanitised and let you drive it... go figure out...

Kramer wrote: »
    Why would you want to inflict that torture on Mad_Lad? An i3 to a Zoe?

We will have a new thread started - “Guess what makes Mad_Lad real MAD!” (Zoe’s fast charging (dis)abilities lol )

Do you normally spend a whole day at those sites, Mad_Lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭eagerv

Don't forget an indepth review in Full HD, Full screen and full length etc..

Lets go....:D

• Advertisement

peposhi wrote: »
    You want cheap loan, Mad_Lad ? The Zoe is offered at 0.0% up to a max of 20k for the month of February. So here’s the plan - you trade in your REX and get 2 Zoes for the family - plenty of space and still 3-phase charging :)

He'll have to leave one in the office charging and drive the other one to work, then swap them around for the journey home :D

Sort of like the EV version of the pony express, the Zoe Express :D

Advertisement