Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Replaced chain yesterday in between rain showers, cleaned drivetrain and thought I was happy to go, didn't "test" ride it (it was raining!).

This morning travelling 200 meters on the way to work and the chain start skipping badly. Stiff link or cassette worn. Dam thought I might get away without changing the cassette but not so. Had to keep the chain around the top (less worn) cogs of the cassette (1st to about 5th and 11th to 15th) until cassette now ordered this morning arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭com1

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I took off back back wheel (disc brakes) and when I put it back in. The wheel would hardly spin, as if the brake were acting on it. Only works properly now when I adjust the brake too much. Help!

Similar happened to me before - it turned out that the wheel was not seated properly. It was only out by a couple of mm so I didn't notice it by eye but when I loosened the QR and jiggled the wheel it clunked into place and everything worked fine again. I reckoned at the time that it was a bit of grit on the axel stopping it from seating fully on one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

All my questions are stupid. I've pulled a road bike out of the garage that hasn't been used in 3 or 4 years and is dusty as ****.

Aside from air in the tyres, what do I need to do or check to make it road worthy? Wd40 everthing for cleaning and then put new lubricant on the chain I presume? Anywhere I can buy bike lube in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

errlloyd wrote: »
    All my questions are stupid. I've pulled a road bike out of the garage that hasn't been used in 3 or 4 years and is dusty as ****.

Aside from air in the tyres, what do I need to do or check to make it road worthy? Wd40 everthing for cleaning and then put new lubricant on the chain I presume? Anywhere I can buy bike lube in the city centre.

My approach would be:
    • Wheels off, chain off, casette off
    • Frame/rims wash down with warm soap/degreaser
    • Drop of petrol to clean the cassette and soak chain in said for 15
    • Rinse the lot
    • Oil (or wax) chain up and wipe
    • Check shifting is ok
    • Check and double check brakes
    • visual of tyres while on the stand to ensure A) no bulges and b) no bad cuts
    • Leave for 48hrs and ensure pressure is holding
    • Picture on social media of choice with a big pat on own back

You did an amazing job of making that process sound fun or at least tremendously fulfilling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't see a need to completely strip the chain like that. you might do it if the bike had been used during that period, picking crud up from the road, but this is the opposite.
    i took a bike that had been left in the attic for several years and all the chain needed was a bit of oil.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pretty much everything you need to do you have said. Check the brakes, and pedal onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Folks - Am I correct in thinking that the front brake outer is way too long?

(PS Not my guntering, came from the factory like that)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Looks like they were cut for the brakes running left/front and then put on right front. I don't think it is a major issue, certainly shouldn't cause an issue.

• Am I right in thinking if a bike has a 11/34 cassette I'd have to change the rear derailleur if I was swapping to 11/28 or even 11/30 :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

No, you can run a long-cage derailleur with any size cassette (once you aren't exceeding its range with a gigantic cassette).

If you do fit a smaller cassette, re-check the B-screw on the rear derailleur, to lift the top jockey wheel closer to the new cassette's profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Question lads, starting to put my new build together and have run into this small issue. I've the correct diameter seat clamp (going to change to a non quick release for carbon though) got for my frame but the height seems way off. The seat clamp area on the frame measures at 20mm while the clamp itself is 17mm. Am I supposed to cut the area down on the frame or get a taller seat clamp?

Picture

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Question lads, starting to put my new build together and have run into this small issue. I've the correct diameter seat clamp (going to change to a non quick release for carbon though) got for my frame but the height seems way off. The seat clamp area on the frame measures at 20mm while the clamp itself is 17mm. Am I supposed to cut the area down on the frame or get a taller seat clamp?

Picture

A taller seat clamp...Do not cut the frame!

Or just slide the clamp down as far as it goes and then use a seat post ring to hide the top 3mm?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/fizik-seatpost-ring/rp-prod113649?gs=1&sku=sku407485IE&pgrid=53513330318&ptaid=pla-296303633664&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sdGZNbJ2N_dc|pcrid|253511013572|pkw||pmt||prd|407485IE

will one of those stretch around a 34.9 clamp area? be a nice quick solution

the hope wont slide down as it has a lip at the top, are there any clamps that are taller than standard, or a clamp without a lip at the top.

i swear i had every detail of this build worked out and this is after catching me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Not a bike maintenance question but didn't think my query deserved its own thread.... I have a buzz beetle car rack but the rubber straps provided to hold the bike onto the rack are too short to go around the frame of a mountain bike. Has anyone else come across this and figured out a solution?

http://buzzrack.com/galleries/beetle-trunk-rack-2-arms-bike-carrier/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

the hope wont slide down as it has a lip at the top, are there any clamps that are taller than standard, or a clamp without a lip at the top.

i swear i had every detail of this build worked out and this is after catching me :D

Do you have one of these?(with a curved edge) : https://goo.gl/images/MXMbWR

File away the lip on the clamp?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭com1

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    Not a bike maintenance question but didn't think my query deserved its own thread.... I have a buzz beetle car rack but the rubber straps provided to hold the bike onto the rack are too short to go around the frame of a mountain bike. Has anyone else come across this and figured out a solution?

wrap a Bungee or strap around the whole shebang (place bike on rack and wrap bungee around bike and rack (where the bike sits on the rack))

Or get in touch with the manufacturers and ask for longer straps, they may be able to oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

QueenMTBee wrote: »

Usually those rubber straps are adjustable on both sides. There might be extra length on the side nearest the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Have ordered a 11-34 cassette with a 105 gs medium cage derailleur and a sram red 22 11speed chain for the upcoming randonnee as the steep climbs are killing my cadence and just burn the legs out when im at 60-70rpm.

Currently have an 11-28 and the plan is to measure up the the old chain and add on a link or 2. Anyone ever done this and know off the top of their head how many links would be required? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Six extra teeth = six extra links.

However, that assumes that the chain you currently have is correctly sized :)

You could end up putting on six links and then finding that there's no tension in the chain when in the lower cogs.

You'll probably need to just find the correct size yourself and not rely on the old chain:
    https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-length-sizing#article-section-4

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

seamus wrote:
    Six extra teeth = six extra links.However, that assumes that the chain you currently have is correctly sized.You could end up putting on six links and then finding that there's no tension in the chain when in the lower cogs.You'll probably need to just find the correct size yourself and not rely on the old chain:

Thanks seamus for the link should come in handy. Now to start worrying about indexing the new derailleur :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

seamus wrote: »
    Six extra teeth = six extra links.

Should that not be 3 extra links (2 or 4) as the chain only ever wraps half the number of teeth on a sprocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

When I did mine recently I was told to wrap the chain round the two largest rings (front and back) without going via the derailleur and adding 2 links to that. Worked out fine.

Edit: just read Seamus’s link -says the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 h 7

Is this a good bike? (In your opinion). It only has 14 gears, compared to my hybrid which I currently have, 21 gears.

Carrera Zelos Mens Road Bike - 51, 54cm Frames

Would it be slower because of less gears?

My 21 speed hybrid is 7 gears on derailleur and 3 on the front, so I assume the 14 has 2 on the front and 7 on the derailleur.

www. halfords. ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=212536&productId=1246237&storeId=11101

h 7 wrote: »
    Is this a good bike? (In your opinion). It only has 14 gears, compared to my hybrid which I currently have, 21 gears.

Carrera Zelos Mens Road Bike - 51, 54cm Frames

Would it be slower because of less gears?

My 21 speed hybrid is 7 gears on derailleur and 3 on the front, so I assume the 14 has 2 on the front and 7 on the derailleur.

www. halfords. ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=212536&productId=1246237&storeId=11101

Wow, banned in 2 posts. GJ fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

ED E wrote: »
    Wow, banned in 2 posts. GJ fella.

Apparently not to knowledgeable on bikes but up to speed on our ethnic minority :eek: "Knackers smell, they are inbred. Anywhere they set up camp, they always cause trouble. They are a menace in society and a virus in life."

Kinda bike maintenance, kinda human maintenance.

So I bought a bike a few years back. I'm using it for some commuting, never going more than like 10k each way. So not far.

Anyway it's an entry level road bike, 57cm frame. I'm probably a smidgeon under 6'2. Just trying to work out if it's uncomfortable because it's too small, or because I'm not used to cycling.

Anyway it's an entry level road bike, 57cm frame. I'm probably a smidgeon under 6'2. Just trying to work out if it's uncomfortable because it's too small, or because I'm not used to cycling.

Forget your height, its your inseam the matters. Measure that then compare to the sizing chart.

Thats only the start though, there's lots to a bike fit but the right frame size is important.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Can't find a definitive answer on this, so anyone here every used Shimano 110BCD (5 Arm) Chainrings on an SRAM chainset?

I want to replace my chainrings on a bike, and the SRAM ones are a lot more expensive. They look the same, but even within SRAM I can't be sure as some apparently only work with the YAW derailleur.

Advertisement