Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-01-2019, 14:48   #76
Henry Ford III

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShihTzu View Post
Judging by what I have seen in Cork the past few weeks since the law was changed, I don't think anyone will have any fear of the Gards taking unaccompanied L cars. Clearly, the law is not being enforced here!

This morning alone, I was driving along the South Link in the right hand lane, and wondered why I was only doing 50 on a 100kph road. Reason? Two L drivers hogging the right lane (clearly L drivers) in brand new cars and stubbornly refusing to pull in for traffic to travel faster in the right lane. Same thing coming down Summerhill North -traffic tailing back as there was a lady with L plates going at 35kph!! In all cases, the road conditions were good -dry and no ice. I know of one person learning, driving unaccompanied and does not have their L plates up.

Some unaccompanied learners are an absolute menace.
The law will be enforced. I've no doubt about that. The Clancy case happened in Co. Cork after all.
Advertisement
18-01-2019, 14:58   #77
pawrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD2 View Post
I dunno but if I see a car with L plates, I'm inclined to give that bit more room and allowance. If Ross's law encourages more learner drivers to take the plates down, you'd think that's a bad thing. The old law of unintended consequences, though perhaps quite predictable in this instance.

On other hand, when daughter was learning we had L plates on a car, which I also drove. Mad to see how people would be in a hurry to get past you, even though you'd be tipping along at a good safe speed. So looked at that way, maybe they are a hazard as much as a benefit.
When I had L plates up on my car I noticed a marked increase in the number of people driving way too near in an attempt to position for overtakes, never had the same issue on weeks I took down the plates driving the same roads at the same speeds.
Weirdly the same happened when i used the smaller car with nimrods trying to overtake rather than be stuck behind a yaris. Personally I'd be like you and give people with an L a wide berth not to be stressing them out while they learn or too close to break if they make a mistake.

Last edited by pawrick; 18-01-2019 at 17:03.
(2) thanks from:
18-01-2019, 15:01   #78
pawrick

I've always thought getting a full licence should be part of your secondary level education, it's a valuable skill which for most people will be needed at some point in their life.
(3) thanks from:
18-01-2019, 17:17   #79
Deckard Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawrick View Post
I've always thought getting a full licence should be part of your secondary level education, it's a valuable skill which for most people will be needed at some point in their life.
Especially when you consider that a 17 year old is eligible to apply for a theory test and all the jigs and reels that follow, this combined with the fact that 6th years range from 17-19 in the modern era.

It might be an incentive for many to stay in school also.
Thanks from:
19-01-2019, 01:54   #80
MissShihTzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford III View Post
The law will be enforced. I've no doubt about that. The Clancy case happened in Co. Cork after all.
It did. I wish I shared your confidence. But the cynic in me says 'Not a hope!'. That would involve the Gards doing some work!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion