Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling bargains from AliExpress & other Chinese websites

• 26-07-2017 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Following on from a post on Bargain alerts where subsequent suggestions was made for a new thread of this nature but never acted upon, I have taken it upon myself to get the ball rolling.

It's near impossible to browse for cycling gear on AliExpress or the like without seeing counterfeit gear. But in the interest of keeping this thread open, please don't post links to them. Besides there is always an identical item with no branding/Chinese brands so perhaps post these instead?

Cycling clothing

Bib shorts-Plenty of bib shorts available from as little as €9 so I won't link to one in particular.

All of my 5 bib shorts are from Ali Express. My main criteria when shopping for bib shorts is that the chamois must be a particular gel padding with lots of ventilation holes (quite often found in either blue or green colour). I once made the mistake of deviating from my criteria and got sent shorts with lousy foam padding so I'm all the more heistant to order shorts with different kind of chamois from what I usually get. However I have seen some thermal gear with the orange padding (which is common enough) recommended on here in the past so it's all a matter of personal taste really! Generally I find the bib shorts to be superior to Aldi/Lidl/Muddyfox by a country mile and serious bang for buck when it comes to quality.

Cycling jerseys: Plenty of pick from around €10 upwards.. More often than not, they all tend to be stitched together in a similar way in that there's no fancy stuff like reflective trims on the back pockets or zip pockets. Personal experience is that they're quick to pong of BO after around 15/20 washes. On par with the basic Aldi & Lidl jerseys really. Functional & cheap enough though!

The inspiration for this thread is the Cheji jersey which I found cheaper on DHGate. I have ordered it for €12.34 and am awaiting delivery. A fair few in the bargain alerts thread have ordered and received theirs - so far, good reports.

Cycling gloves €3.67. Received these recently, happy enough with the gel padding - comfortable to wear on the bike. Pretty happy enough with them and have already ordered full glove version for autumn. €5.44

My current winter gloves €4.18. I have bought winter gloves from Aldi & Lidl in the past but disliked how when you sweated and took your hand out of the gloves, the inside of the gloves would come out too & was a pig to put back in. Glad to report that this glove doesn't have that issue. It keeps your hands warm and is functional so happy enough to include this as a good buy.

I ordered cycling socks once but they were disappointing but if someone has had better luck than I had, please do share.

Cycle components & accessories

USB rechargeable lights €3.56 Have been subject to discussion in this forum in the past. Not the brightest lights but not the worse either! They're my primary lights for the summer and back up lights in the winter.

Chain breaker €1.60 - Easy to use and does the job!

Front mount for bicycle computer €1.66 Does what its supposed to do!

Chain measurement tool €2.34

3 x Tyre levers €4.14

Do share your buys & reviews here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭mamax

I refuse to use them anymore it took me ages to close my account with them after the froze it and insisted I send them a photograph front and back of my credit card, they said for security, as far as I was concerned they could feck right off I thought it was a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

mamax wrote: »
    I refuse to use them anymore it took me ages to close my account with them after the froze it and insisted I send them a photograph front and back of my credit card, they said for security, as far as I was concerned they could feck right off I thought it was a bit dodgy.

Bike24 asked me for that before and I complied although I don't think I'd give it to a Chinese company.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

That sounds like a pain alright but I've placed over 300 orders with them and never been asked that? All the same, Ali express aren't some little website, it's a huge company under Alibaba who are massive. But as with any requests of that nature, its up the the user to do their due diligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Have used them a few times and never any issues. Can take a while for stuff to be delivered, but if you are not in a rush for them its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭mamax

That sounds like a pain alright but I've placed over 300 orders with them and never been asked that? All the same, Ali express aren't some little website, it's a huge company under Alibaba who are massive. But as with any requests of that nature, its up the the user to do their due diligence.

Very strange they don't use paypal but they do use western union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

I bought this light for the bike, it was delivered in 3 weeks or so and I have only taken it out once and on one charge, in flashing mode, it was still blinking after 5 hours.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-LED-Bicycle-Cycling-Tail-USB-Rechargeable-Red-Warning-Light-Bike-Rear-Safety-88373/32717032188.html

It's alright for €2 :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭BAAA RAM EWE

Very strange they don't use paypal but they do use western union.
    Pretty sure they do now.

PayPal fees were to high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ali express uses a very good system whereby they hold the money until it's confirmed that you have received the goods. That's why all goods are sent by tracked registered mail. Within a few minutes of you signing for the package you'll get an email notification asking you to confirm that you have received the goods and only then will they release the funds to the vendor. It's a fairly foolproof system, much better than eBay where you pay some randommer and hope that they send the stuff and then having to open a dispute to get a refund.

I've bought loads of stuff from it. Never once had a problem and pretty much everything arrived inside the predicted time. Quality is what you'd expect, some of it is great, others not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I worry that this thread is going to end up costing me a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

I usually only buy stuff off Ali Express when I'm drunk... I'm yet to buy anything cycle related though yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Sunglasses and Titanium skewers are my latest delivery, 17 days to get here, not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

The inspiration for this thread is the Cheji jersey which I found cheaper on DHGate. I have ordered it for €12.34 and am awaiting delivery. A fair few in the bargain alerts thread have ordered and received theirs - so far, good reports.

Got this yesterday, seller sent me a fake jersey, nothing like the real thing. i've had to open a dispute. Go with the seller cee cee jay recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Got this yesterday, seller sent me a fake jersey, nothing like the real thing. i've had to open a dispute.

There's irony in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭happytramp

Bought some extremely lightweight, unbranded carbon seatposts and stems.... still going strong 3 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭g0g

Here are the ones I can find in my Ali order history. Price I paid might not be same now. I've a feeling I've posted these before, but I'll stick them up again! PS I don't want abuse at my choice of clothing thanks!

15-in-1 tool $ 3.43 - never used it yet so no comment on quality! :pac:

Novelty summer jersey $ 12-15 - I've found quality fine so far!

Front light $ 5 although the link is now selling a set - absolute junk!

Rear light like a Kickstarter one I paid $ 11.50 - Been really impressed with this one. Stops if the bike is stationary for a while. Very good battery life and loads of modes.

Novelty keyring I paid $ 0.70

Front light can't remember what I paid - Bright, very bright, you won't be missed! Battery ife very good and has strobe options. One of those lights I'm not sure if it p155es motorists off more than it does good. But it does light things up well!

Glasses I paid $ 11.99 - another of my favourite purchases. I'm on my second set now granted but it's over quite a few years. More than one frame, good case, 5 lenses, excellent value!

Racmmer Winter jersey I paid $ 21.00 - another of the purchases I've been very happy with. Kept me nice and warm last winter. I'd normally squeeze happily into Medium in jerseys so ordered a large here just in case and it fits very well. As a note I've found the Racmmer gear really good.

Summer Racmmer jersey paid around $ 14.00 - again I went with Large and still going strong!

Cheji Bib Shorts I paid $ 18.00 - they're grand and still wear them the odd time. Fine for my 30 minute commute, but I reckon they wouldn't be as comfortable on a longer cycle. Don't think the padding is incredible.

Cleaning kit paid $ 9.00 - still haven't actually opened it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Got this yesterday, seller sent me a fake jersey, nothing like the real thing. i've had to open a dispute. Go with the seller cee cee jay recommended.

Could post a picture of the jersey you got and how it's different from the Cheji jersey, please.
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    There's irony in there somewhere.

They're not copies of any jersey I have seen or know of. They're just a Chinese brand and a very well made quality jersey, IMO. I have worn mine several times now and it's a nice jersey than my two Castelli jerseys (Prologo and Free Aero)

Maybe not to everyone's taste but I bought these anodised alloy valve caps for 89c posted. They look so good on my bike. And for the weightweenies, they're no heavier than the plastic caps.

http://s.aliexpress.com/JZFvmeEV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Valve caps? Specifically presta valve caps? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

el tel wrote: »
    I normally dump the plastic ones off mine. Is there a reason I should be keeping them on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

rtmie wrote: »
    I normally dump the plastic ones off mine. Is there a reason I should be keeping them on?

nope. I'm the same no need for them at all

• Advertisement

el tel wrote: »

Emmmm....to fit presta valves, thought that would be obvious?

I always use the dust caps, saves the valve getting covered in dirt/gunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Going off other guys reviews of a seller from the Bargain Alerts Thread I ordered the below two jerseys three weeks ago.

Short Sleeve Jersey - Outdoor Cycling World Store - 11euro

http://s.aliexpress.com/ARZ7jaMj

Long Sleeve Jersey - FIA Tech Co - 12.50 euro

http://s.aliexpress.com/r6BjMV7r

I went for a medium on the short sleeve and it fits like a glove, I'd be small on normal tshirts.

Large on the long sleeve just in case I got the sizes wrong and it's a bit looser but will be a grand layering top.

The quality is top class, a lot better than the fakes going around. Took about 10 days, got them delivered via the UK address for Parcel Motel.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Going off other guys reviews of a seller from the Bargain Alerts Thread I ordered the bellow two jerseys three weeks ago.

http://s.aliexpress.com/r6BjMV7r

I went for a medium on the short sleeve and it fits like a glove, I'd be small on normal tshirts.

Large on the long sleeve just in case I got the sizes wrong and it's a bit looser but will be a grand layering top.

The quality is top class, a lot better than the fakes going around. Took about 10 days, got them delivered via the UK address for Parcel Motel.

Thanks
    I'll go for the long sleeved too, never order anything below L from China but your post has me thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Should have posted this in my other post but couldn't find the link.

Raincoat - rockbrosbike Store - 11.29 euro

http://s.aliexpress.com/RZJjuM73

Got this to have in my jersey pocket for the typical Irish summers day. Nice and small when packed up and fits in nice on your back. Have used it for an adventure race running and cycling sections and it does nicely to keep the rain off while not boiling you.

Again I went for a Medium and fits snug over the jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Going off other guys reviews of a seller from the Bargain Alerts Thread I ordered the bellow two jerseys three weeks ago.

Short Sleeve Jersey - Outdoor Cycling World Store - 11euro

The sign printed on the back of the short sleeve jersey is telling me that I should give 1.5m clearance when overtaking cars on my bike :pac:. Either that or it's telling traffic to undertake!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Emmmm....to fit presta valves, thought that would be obvious?

I always use the dust caps, saves the valve getting covered in dirt/gunk.

Still mostly pointless. They are most useful for preventing unused tubes from puncturing from the valve.

If gunk gets in, it's not sealed properly I'd think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    The sign printed on the back of the short sleeve jersey is telling me that I should give 1.5m clearance when overtaking cars on my bike :pac:. Either that or it's telling traffic to undertake!

Only useful in countries where they drive on the wrong side of the road

But i must say, they have some love coloured jerseys

Weepsie wrote: »
    Still mostly pointless. They are most useful for preventing unused tubes from puncturing from the valve.

If gunk gets in, it's not sealed properly I'd think

I'm not getting into a debate about the pro's and cons of valve caps but what I meant is to keep the valve clean so that when it comes to pumping the tyres (in my case before every spin as I have latex tubes) I don't want to be cleaning dirt/gunk off the valve before inflating it which could end up blocking the pump head/attachment.

The thread is for bargains from Alixpress, not to discuss the merits of the items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Anyone order kids gear from Ali ??
    Cheers
    Marty.

Advertisement