Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Police shootings, vigilante shootings, and Black Lives Matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

everlast75 wrote:
    You have to look on in utter amazement at the U.S. right wing media right nowand how they cover for the GOP.

Why would you even bother looking at it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Wanderer78 wrote: »

You could say the same about anything related to Trump.

everlast75 wrote:
    You could say the same about anything related to Trump.

Completely, boards is more or less as far as I go with that chap, and even at that, it's probably not worth it, life's too short

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's always good to be aware tbh

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

still dont know what to think of this, havent woken up yet!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1298344285079838720

• Advertisement

IMHO it's absolutely wrong and unfortunately will be held up as "typical" of "cancel culture".

everlast75 wrote: »
    IMHO it's absolutely wrong and unfortunately will be held up as "typical" of "cancel culture".

still cant really process it, but it certainly looks wrong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Snappy comments are not permitted on this forum. Post deleted.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lets try this again.
    This is a good example of why these people are often held up by those outside of cancel culture as not being the "peaceful" protesters they claim to be.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Lets try this again.
    This is a good example of why these people are often held up by those outside of cancel culture as not being the "peaceful" protesters they claim to be.

anger can bring out the worst in us all, but that doesnt make this behavior right

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It would be extremely short sighted to think this is about the people murdered recently by police officers. The protesters are angry because this has been happening unseen for decades. The police are murdering black men because that’s what they’ve always done and always gotten away with it.

This is the first generation where everyone walks around with a video camera in their pocket, so a light is being shone on the problem. Imagine how it feels to know this had been happening and you’ve been ignored for decades.

If I was an African American I’m not sure I’d be as restrained as these protesters.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    It would be extremely short sighted to think this is about the people murdered recently by police officers. The protesters are angry because this has been happening unseen for decades. The police are murdering black men because that’s what they’ve always done and always gotten away with it.

This is the first generation where everyone walks around with a video camera in their pocket, so a light is being shone on the problem. Imagine how it feels to know this had been happening and you’ve been ignored for decades.

If I was an African American I’m not sure I’d be as restrained as these protesters.

The catholics up north went to war because of discrimination, police brutality and being shot at while peacefully protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That was horrible **** to see. Just because the Fox News side is taking the piss doesn’t mean the BLM side can do stuff like this. As far as I know the couple are okay and the woman was quoted as saying she marched in protests in D.C. but apparently unless you’re lock step you’re not on their side.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That was horrible **** to see. Just because the other side is taking the piss doesn’t mean your side can do stuff like this. As far as I know the couple are okay and the woman was quoted as saying she marched in protests in D.C. but apparently unless you’re lock step you’re not on their side.

my side?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

my side?

No sorry I meant the BLM side as opposed to the Fox News side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Completely unacceptable.

If you resort to intimidation, you are losing the argument

Harassing random people in the street or a restaurant is 1930s style politics

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So will Trump grant this young lad a pardon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Water John wrote: »

The boy might have escaped 100% if he was a Wisconsin citizen and 18 years old.

His age and residency will ensure that he sees jail time.

Trump might pardon him in the closing days of his presidency (either Term 1 or Term 2).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Fortunately he'll be prosecuted by the state not federally, so only the Governer of Wi can pardon him.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Maybe he'll invite him to speak tonight at the convention?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note
    Maybe he'll invite him to speak tonight at the convention?

Serious posts only please. Last warning

I was being facetious.

However, the McCloskeys waived guns around at protesters. That was a criminal offence. They were invited to speak at the GOP convention.

This guy has Carlson and Coulter painting him out to be a hero. You have Gaetz calling for more.

You have this guy front and centre at a Trump rally.

As ridiculous as it sounds, whilst he won't be invited, expect words from DJT both sides-ing the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Brian? wrote: »

This is a subversive political movement, driven by a desire to foster division in society and forment maximum disruption prior to the election imo. This latest round of NBA protests for example are farcical. Decrying the justified shooting of Blake, while saying absolutely nothing about violence in their communities. Given the idolisation of professional athletes, their speaking out against that would be far more profound, than pushing a false narrative about police killings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

This is a subversive political movement, driven by a desire to foster division in society and forment maximum disruption prior to the election imo. This latest round of NBA protests for example are farcical. Decrying the justified shooting of Blake, while saying absolutely nothing about violence in their communities. Given the idolisation of professional athletes, their speaking out against that would be far more profound, than pushing a false narrative about police killings.

Sounds like basically everything that was written about catholics in the north of this country by British media in the 60s/70s/80s/90s.

This is a subversive political movement, driven by a desire to foster division in society and forment maximum disruption prior to the election imo.

You're talking about the 45th President here I presume?
    This latest round of NBA protests for example are farcical. Decrying the justified shooting of Blake

Who said it was justified?
    while saying absolutely nothing about violence in their communities. Given the idolisation of professional athletes, their speaking out against that would be far more profound, than pushing a false narrative about police killings.

Incredible ignorance on display here with this statement.

For decades, black people have been told by white people how to protest.

March? No, not allowed. People were beaten and killed.

Sit down protests? People were dragged from the streets.

Take a knee? No, that's disrespectful to the flag.

Black people have had enough. I for one, don't agree with rioting, but I sure as hell understand it.

You're talking about the 45th President here I presume?

Who said it was justified?

Incredible ignorance on display here with this statement.

For decades, black people have been told by white people how to protest.

March? No, not allowed. People were beaten and killed.

Sit down protests? People were dragged from the streets.

Take a knee? No, that's disrespectful to the flag.

Black people have had enough. I for one, don't agree with rioting, but I sure as hell understand it.

The false narrative of systematic racism in relation to policing, that says black people are targeted and killed due to bigotry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,017 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you need to explain this statement.

I did not see anything on video that suggested it was necessary to shoot Blake. Regardless of what may have gone on before, regardless of whether the police wanted to stop him getting into his car, there is no justification for shooting a person in the back at close range.

looksee wrote: »
    I think you need to explain this statement.

I did not see anything on video that suggested it was necessary to shoot Blake. Regardless of what may have gone on before, regardless of whether the police wanted to stop him getting into his car, there is no justification for shooting a person in the back at close range.

From information being released, he was armed, police attempted to restrain him, he resisted. Tazers were employed but ineffective, he refused to obey orders to stop, despite having guns drawn on him. Reached into the car. That's a justified shooting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

When you become what you are protesting to stop.

Its basically a video version of social media. A cesspool of bullies.

• Advertisement

JimmyVik wrote: »
    When you become what you are protesting to stop.

Its basically a video version of social media. A cesspool of bullies.

I agree 100%

also they don't know they're being manipulated either. The feel this is a new age of reason and they're the enlightened ones. Entitled would be more accurate.
    If they watched the BIG Hack, they'd realise how easily this stuff can be done, ****ing drones, dragging themselves out of their parents basements, pink binary hair and all!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement